Total noob attack!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Total noob attack!

I'm a roadie. I don't know spit about MTBs. I have ridden them exactly twice.

I want to play in the dirt with something that is not my cyclocross bike.

I want it to be cheap.

I'm thinking a SS 29er. Like maybe the Redline monocog.

Any better options? What should I know? I've read the SS faq and ride fixed on the road often 'nuff.

blame me for missed rides
    if you have a crosscheck it'll do fine on dirt unless it gets really steep or really rocky.

mtbr member
    If you want it to be inexpensive then the Redline is probably fine. 29'ers are great. I love mine. I even ride it more than my Seven (26'er). The Surly is also a great option with a good ol' cool factor added to it.

Get out there and just enjoy. That is the important thing!
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member
    Redline Monocog is my first bike ever since I was a kid. I love it. It's cheap, easy, and fun as hell.

Brandon
    There's always money in the banana stand.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Should be fun stuff.

Do you think a rigid, 29er SS bike like the Monocog will feel / handle / absorb shock better than my 'cross bike?

It's a Redline Conquest Pro, with 700 x 34 clincher tires, that I can run a min of about 50PSI in. I haven't had it long, I've been riding mild singletrack stuff for fun lately and it's okay on flattish stuff but big bumps hurt a lot, and the avid shorty4 cantis suck hard for serious braking.

I want something I can go a little crazier with.

mtbr member

Here's what I go crazy with:

The Unit SS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    And a good day to you sir!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The Monocog 29'er is a great value (as are all redlines).
    The tires are alot bigger than your cross bike's and you'll be able to run the pressure much lower.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Redline Monocog 29er gets you rolling cheap.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A SS is obviously great fun and Pricepoint has got a Monocog frame and rigid fork for $250. If you want a suspension fork then a 29er is not the cheapest way to get into the game 'cause there's much less selection on 29er suspension forks and they're more expensive. 29er wheels tend to be more expensive, too. You can find some pretty cheap and very serviceable 26" SS bikes with suspension forks and disc brakes.

You can get some nice used SS bikes like the Monocog or a Bianchi SASS for $300-400 on Ebay, usually rigid fork and V brakes. For $550 you can get a new Fetish with a basic Manitou Black suspension fork and Tektro disk brakes (some diss the brakes but set up properly they work good, especially with better levers like Avid). A lightly used Gary Fisher Rig 29er with a Reba fork and Avid BB7 disk brakes went for $750. Definitely more than entry level and something you could be happy with for years. Gives you an idea of prices and quality levels. Jump in, you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    just bought my first monocog 29er off ebay and love it. there is one now for auction 15" frame. good deals to be found on ebay on this bike. go ride one first if you can to be sure, but for the $$$ its hard to go wrong.

mtbr member
    My Monocog has I think 2.3 tires on there. Anyway they are pretty ballooney and i usually run them with about 30 PSI. It's not suspension and lower pressures obviously will give up speed to your cross tires but they do take the sting out of bumps.
    There's always money in the banana stand.

Members who have read this thread: 0