tools for ss conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

tools for ss conversion

I was going to get rid of my '94 Diamondback Sorrento but I've decided to convert it to singlespeed. I ordered a kit, tensioner, and chain from misfit psycles. I'm just wonering if I need to invest in some special tools. All I have is a multi-tool and your standard assortment of household/automotive tools. I'm trying to do this cheap. Any help would be appreciated.
    I did pull an engine from a '68 beetle so I'm not mechanically retarded, just not familiar with bikes.

mtbr member
    Assuming you have things like metric allen keys, chain splitter etc on your multi-tool and spanners knocking around anyway?

Then you'll need a chain whip and cassette lockring tool to remove the cassette and replace it with the SS spacers and sprocket and a crank puller to remove the drive side crank, in order to take off the two rings that you won't need.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    You don't need a crank puller to take off the chain rings, I put mine on and take mine off just fine with out. Think about it like a button, you don't have to cut off and sew on a button every time you pull your shirt on or off, same idea with the chain ring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCast
    You don't need a crank puller to take off the chain rings, I put mine on and take mine off just fine with out. Think about it like a button, you don't have to cut off and sew on a button every time you pull your shirt on or off, same idea with the chain ring.
    Well, if you can show me how to get the granny ring off over the crank arms it'll save me some time in future.......

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    4 arm or 5?

mtbr member
    4 arm or 5?
    Either....

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008

More realistically, I can't see how it wouldn't work with a four arm. The crank arm is hardly the problem, I just alternated sliding the chain ring over each arm on the spider, and then it slid off the crank no problem. I suppose a five arm might disallow a granny ring from coming off with that method. But that's what tin snips are for.

mtbr member

More realistically, I can't see how it wouldn't work with a four arm. The crank arm is hardly the problem, I just alternated sliding the chain ring over each arm on the spider, and then it slid off the crank no problem. I suppose a five arm might disallow a granny ring from coming off with that method. But that's what tin snips are for.
    You can't get the granny ring off over the spider - the distance from one side of the BB spindle to the outside of the opposite arm of the spider is greater than the clear inside diameter of the granny ring. You can take a middle ring off this way but not the granny.

Anyway, it's not as if a crank extractor represents a huge outlay - less than a good pair of snips anyway .

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R
    You can't get the granny ring off over the spider - the distance from one side of the BB spindle to the outside of the opposite arm of the spider is greater than the clear inside diameter of the granny ring. You can take a middle ring off this way but not the granny.
    I suppose it would have been a double not a triple when I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy R
    Anyway, it's not as if a crank extractor represents a huge outlay - less than a good pair of snips anyway .

Good point.

one chain loop
    1. cassette lockring tool.
    2. chainwhip. oil filter tool (chained version) will work too. or a simple chain and vice grip wrench diy.
    3. crank arm puller. gear puller will work. or just dremel the granny rings if there is no reason to remove the cranks other than taking the rings off.
    4. bb tool. this is bb specific. you don't have to have this unless you are replacing or changing your bb.
    5. chain breaker.

assuming you have all the tools as a mechanic. all you really need is cassette lockring tool, chain breaker and bb tool. i am thinking around $25 for all.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Morning all. I'm glad that storm moved on. I thought I was going to have to take a boat into work. No riding this weekend. Thanks for your responses. Nice tin snips. My multi-tool has a chain breaker and I already have the chain off. It sounds like I need the lockring tool, chain whip, and crank puller. If I recall, the BB was creaking pretty badly when I stopped riding it, so I may get the BB tool so I can do maintenance. Now I just need to shop around for the best deal.

Members who have read this thread: 0