Tools And Parts For Gates Belt Drive- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Tools And Parts For Gates Belt Drive

I recently purchased a spot brand ss belt drive, love the bike but it has a rear hub problem, skips, pops and creaks, I need ro remove the cog to inspect or replace the rear hub but can not find anyone who sells the belt whip for removal. If any one has any info that would be great. I have tried to get hold of both spot and gates but so far no luck

Thanks

mtbr member
    Just got word form Frank at gates, they have the whips in stock now. email him to find out how you or your LBS can get one
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    as far as the skipping and popping, a STRAIGHT belt line is VERY important. it could be the hubs as well. most new hubs needs some attention after they have few miles on them as teh bearings and lock nuts seat into place.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

thanks

got word from frank this morning, gates has the whip.

Ride to the ride.
    I'm getting frightful creaks and pops from my Spot crank, so check that, too. Something to do with the clamping bolts on the non-drive side. Still sorting that out.

Belt whip: I faked it by using a steel bar with two pegs. Think of it like a steel ruler with a peg at 1/2" and one at about 3". Stick the pegs into the cog "lattice work" to hold it while turning the lockring.

--Greg
    Photos and adventures being logged at Dirt & Dogs.

skillz to pay billz
    that sounds sketchy greg.

Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeabout
    I'm getting frightful creaks and pops from my Spot crank, so check that, too. Something to do with the clamping bolts on the non-drive side. Still sorting that out.

Belt whip: I faked it by using a steel bar with two pegs. Think of it like a steel ruler with a peg at 1/2" and one at about 3". Stick the pegs into the cog "lattice work" to hold it while turning the lockring.

--Greg
    Works fine. A pin spanner also works well.

Members who have read this thread: 0