Tool question re:single speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. Tool question re:single speed

hello fellow singlespeeders...i just converted my hardtail to a singlespeed and have a question or two...first i need to add another spacer which i have but i tightened the lockring pretty good..i have the removal thingy but not the chain whip...is there a way to take it off without the chain whip..i have a spare chain if that will help. also how tight should the chain be..i have it pretty tight via a singulator and when turning the cranks it seems more rough than smooth...could also be that i need to lube the chain..any help would be great..ill post pics when i can...

mtbr member

You are better off buying one

Quote Originally Posted by mikieboy
    hello fellow singlespeeders...i just converted my hardtail to a singlespeed and have a question or two...first i need to add another spacer which i have but i tightened the lockring pretty good..i have the removal thingy but not the chain whip...is there a way to take it off without the chain whip..i have a spare chain if that will help. also how tight should the chain be..i have it pretty tight via a singulator and when turning the cranks it seems more rough than smooth...could also be that i need to lube the chain..any help would be great..ill post pics when i can...
    Go to the bike shop and buy a chain whip tool, they are cheap. Or if you dont have $10.00 borrow it at the shop and use it right there.

So far the best tensioner I have used is an old deraileur. I have tried 3 different tensioners - surly, paul, ringle and they all skip when I hammer, even with a perfect chainline. I have climbed impossible hills with a 34x18 and derrailleur for tensioner and no skips. the derrailer sounds so sweet and smooth. I may try ENO hub but I can not justify the $140 for it since my derrailleur does the job perfect.
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member

Try this

If you have the flat-faced removal tool, not the fat socket type, place the tool on the cassette and put the wheel back on the bike (with chain of course). The crank arms will take the place of the chain whip.

mtbr member
    yeah, the chain whip is pretty handy. i'm glad i got one, finally.

also, Zion, check out the Rennen Rollenlager www.rennendesigngroup.com

mtbr member

Rohloff chain tensioner

Before my inbred era i used a Rohloff Chain Tensioner. The spring is strong and it ensures that the chain grabs on a large part of the cog. I can recommend it.