Took the plunge- Mtbr.com

Thread: Took the plunge

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Took the plunge

Just ordered an SIR SS from Excel Sports, medium, white, XT crank and brakes, matching RDO fork, Maxxis Icon 2.35's F/R (my fave), with some orange seal to toss in upon arrival. This will be my first singlespeed, and if I end up hating it, the SIR is ready and willing to accept gears, and the conversion to XT 1x11 won't cost too much thankfully.

Pretty stoked, can't wait to get out and give SS a shot! I will definitely post pics when the bike gets here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Just ordered an SIR SS from Excel Sports, medium, white, XT crank and brakes, matching RDO fork, Maxxis Icon 2.35's F/R (my fave), with some orange seal to toss in upon arrival. This will be my first singlespeed, and if I end up hating it, the SIR is ready and willing to accept gears, and the conversion to XT 1x11 won't cost too much thankfully.

Pretty stoked, can't wait to get out and give SS a shot! I will definitely post pics when the bike gets here.
    great success!
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

Back at it
    Sweet!
    Ellsworth Evolve SST.2

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Most of it showed up, but the front wheel is still in Salt Lake City, apparently UPS didn't keep all the Boise-bound packages together. Oh well! Took the plunge-img_2843.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You're going to be amazed at how light that build will be considering it is a steel frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slohr View Post
    You're going to be amazed at how light that build will be considering it is a steel frame.
    I am hoping it is pretty light. I know the wheels (Stan's Rapid) are reviewed as pretty heavy, but they should certainly get the job done. I will also be throwing a set of Niner carbon bars on, although that will have a negligible impact on weight.

FYI: $80 at Jenson right now in red or grey Niner Flat Top Carbon Handlebar > Components > Handlebars > Mountain Bars | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I know they aren't as light as the standard Stan's, but I'm sure it will be pretty fab. I did pick up that bar from Jenson, got it in gray to go with my aircraft gray air nine. Thinking of making that bike rigid too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well, turns out the frame was a large... didn't even look! Doesn't help that the size sticker is on the back of the seat tube, who looks there? The bike was checked in wrong, and they don't have a white medium, so I am sending it back to exchange for the grey/white scheme, couldn't stomach the yellow unfortunately, not really my color. Going out of town next week anyways, so it should be waiting for me when I get back!