Too big to use a tensioner?- Mtbr.com
    I fix choppers

Too big to use a tensioner?

Maybe too tough? (Ha!) I recently converted my Surly Instigator with a tensioner that is held in high esteem in many circles. I have set it up exactly as the instructions called for, yet under severe loads (I weigh over 220 lbs and ride aggressively) the tensioner loosens and unlocks. This requires a brief stop, re-tighten, and re-set. Although I use this bike pimarily for urban (I ride to work), I was quickly reminded how much I dig this bike and want to take it off-road. The ultimate solution seems to have a EBB added via Vulture or maybe sliding drop-outs (I run discs). Any thoughts on conversions, big boys, EBB's, etc.?

mtbr member

no troubles here are you sure...

I am 220 pounds of solid muscle and some beer. I have not had any trouble with my singleator loosening (although I do carry the appropriate cone wrench just in case.)

not doubting your mechanic skill but are you sure you are geting it tight enough? I had trouble with this at first. It was hard to get the spring tight enough, hold the cone wrench in there, tighten the bolt up and then still pull the cone wrench out.

I fix choppers
    My tensioner only uses a 6mm allen to snug it to the hanger. I am alright with my mechanical efforts having built up my last 5-6 bikes partially or totally. I did not use a torque wrench, but it isdamn tight.

They turned me loose
    If you are talking about a rennen or the similarly made on-one otherdoofer.....

I need to tighten mine alot to get it to stay, I also use a large lockring between the hanger and tensioner. Mine never moves.

I fix choppers
    My tensioner is Soulcraft Convert. I guess I am leaning towards getting the EBB conversion done. I like the idea of less stuff hanginging off the bike; simple and solid. Plus, with my and the Instigator's girth extra weight is not an issue.

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by minor swing
    I am 220 pounds of solid muscle and some beer. I have not had any trouble with my singleator loosening (although I do carry the appropriate cone wrench just in case.)

not doubting your mechanic skill but are you sure you are geting it tight enough? I had trouble with this at first. It was hard to get the spring tight enough, hold the cone wrench in there, tighten the bolt up and then still pull the cone wrench out.
    A better way: If running in push-up mode. Remove QR skewer and singleator roller pulley assembly. Rotate body of singleator counter-clockwise to approximately 2:00 or until proper tension is acheived and tighten bolt. Replace QR and roller pulley assembly. No cone wrench needed and spring tension is much improved. Works great for me
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Blues
    A better way: If running in push-up mode. Remove QR skewer and singleator roller pulley assembly. Rotate body of singleator counter-clockwise to approximately 2:00 or until proper tension is acheived and tighten bolt. Replace QR and roller pulley assembly. No cone wrench needed and spring tension is much improved. Works great for me
    yup same system I use... In one year of using it I have had the chain fall off once (and I think it was the chain's fault)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Shorten your chain and lose the tensioner. I'm getting a half-link on my bike, and once i have it on my chainn, i'm going to play with the number of teeth i can put and just run it without a tensioner.
    pUt Da LiMe In Da CoKe YoU nUt

mtbr member
    I have had that particular tensioner loosen, though to be fair I rode it once for twelve hours straight without actually dropping a the chain. I've never had it unlock though, sounds like it is faulty, damaged or perhaps your riding really is too aggressive. Your frame's der. hanger and/or paint could have something to do with it too.

I'd consider a Rennen or similar fixed tensioner -- one that can't unlock and doesn't rely on spring tension.

Spending $$ to customizing a $ frame seems, well -- if you really like the frame. . .

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I ran the Soulcraft in push up mode for a while and had the same trouble with it coming loose during hard climbs. No matter what I did it would not stay put. I ended up setting it where I wanted and then wrapping 2 zip ties (just snug) around the tensioner and stay. Looks like crap but I rode it for a year like that and never had it come loose again.

I fix choppers

The Rollenlager rocks...

Thanx for the tips y'all. I plopped for a Rennen and I'm very pleased. Totally beefy and does not move. Once again I learn the hard way that at my weight/riding style I cannot EVER give in to anything that is not overbuilt.

mtbr member
    i'm over 250 and run a Soulcraft without any problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Or... get a WHITE IND Eccentric Rear Hub.

Good old Sheldon's site has them.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/singlespeed.html#hubs

Also, not all frames are able to be retro fitted with horizontal drop outs. I checked with a frame maker and they said that for structural reason, I couldn't change mine.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i'm running a surly, i'm in the clyde range and so far no issues. i'm DEFINITELY not gentle on my bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0