Des(s)ert Rat

Today's ride... and some pictures.

This morning I was stuck "working" behind the coffee counter at the bike shop. I made a whopping two capuccinos and had nothing else going on. In walks Art, visiting from SC he wants to go ride, but isn't comfortable riding alone in an unfamiliar area. I jump at the chance to ride and abandon the coffee duties immediately.

After my run to the house to grab my stuff we head out to the Kokopelli Loops and start "wandering." I have an idea of what I want to ride, but I'm not sure of Art's abilities, so the classic Mary's to Horsethief ride ensued. He did great and seemed to be very adept at the technical sections so I knew I could push a bit further.

Further onto to Mary's found at Steve's Loop, an easy decision since it was singletrack vs. doubletrack. At the intersection where our choice became a matter of mileage and remaining available time we had to decide what we wanted to do. I didn't really want to tackle the cowprints on the doubletrack of Handcuffs with the rigid fork and my minds eye was looking at Mack Ridge. We took the shorter way to avoid the prints and save the mileage for some other trail. Soon we were at the cattleguard between Moore Fun and Mack Ridge. Hmmm.... He didn't really want to do an out and back on Mack Ridge, I wasn't sure about Mack to Lion's and then back to the parking lot (more mileage than I wanted), and riding the gravel road was just not my idea of fun. The most logical option was Moore Fun. Not tons of mileage, but lots of climbing and technical to get us right back to the parking lot, avoiding and out and back and the gravel road.

So up Moore Fun we headed. Sheesh! That's a tough trail on a rigid ss. On the way we had a "Discovery Channel" experience when I spooked a snake that was in the process of catching a kangaroo rat. I think the little rat was overjoyed as it hopped off down the hill, only to become lunch to a bright green collared lizard. Pretty amazing to witness.

The climb was brutal, and yes, I walked sections, but I love that trail!

PS I yielded trail to the snake.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Des(s)ert Rat

The pictures...

Sorry no action shots, we spent most of our time riding.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    beautiful area... fruyta

I like the singlespeed.

Out spokin'

Dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Sorry no action shots, we spent most of our time riding.
    There you go again! ~envy~ <envy>

--Sparty</envy>
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    I like the singlespeed.
    Thanks! She's a beaut!<!-- / message -->

Des(s)ert Rat
    Oh don't be envious. It was work climbing that trail, and we both shed some blood and sweat.

Members who have read this thread: 0