Titec Version of the H-bar now shipping- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Titec Version of the H-bar now shipping

Just got the email and placed my order. I bet they go fast.

www.bikeman.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You know, I just can't wrap my head around that... Why the rise? I like the Jones version, but this thing just looks wrong...

large member
    heavy, more harsch and a funky rise.

I'm sure it will sell though.

Harrumph
    I wonder about the real need for riser bars in general, but one this bar really makes no sense to me. I'm not "funky" bar expert, but it's my understanding you're going to have to adjust stem angle/length to fit a bar like that properly to begin with. So you could set your height with a stem, instead of adding complexity to the bar.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    I agree. If they're calling it an H Bar... stick to the basics. I have no interest in trying this bar. It's too far removed from the original.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    You know, I couldn't agree with you less. I need all the rise I can get. Right now I run a 15deg stem, 1.5"s of spacers and a 2.5" rise bar just to get my bars 1" below my seat height. I really wanted the Jones version of the bar but couldn't figure out how to make it work with out a new fork!

I agree the Jones bar looks better, but this one hopefully will fit me better(and save me lots of money too!).
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

mtbr member
    Besides looking like ass (subjective to personal taste), and the two positions for hands, what else would prompt someone to buy "H-Bars"?
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member

updated photo

For what its worth, this is the newest photo of the production version I recieved from my inside rep at Titec USA.

Looks to not be oversized? I haven't heard yet if they are producing 2 versions.

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    Besides looking like ass (subjective to personal taste), and the two positions for hands, what else would prompt someone to buy "H-Bars"?
    "Form follows Function."

Not only are the real Jones Ti H-bars a superlatively comfortable bar to use, they feature a multitude of hand positions, absorb vibes, give a huge amount of torque for the uphill grinds, are light, have just the right amount of flex, and are hand made by a Master Craftsman.

If you think that they look like "ass" then you obviously have not tried them for yourself.

These ones pictured are a mass-produced copy of the real thing.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Born to push....
    I got a question that i'm sure i'll git flamed for, but why not jus use a normial bar and use bar ends???

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GT
    I got a question that i'm sure i'll git flamed for, but why not jus use a normial bar and use bar ends???
    Can't brake from your bar ends.

Not titanium.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Can't brake from your bar ends.

Not titanium.
    Sigh... youngins.... haven't you ever heard of brake lever extensions for use with bar ends? Joe Murray's Dr Dews for example. Paul's components had them also.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member

Answered my Question

Mr. GT: exactly.

Rainman: you're right, they still look like ass (subjective to personal tastes).

But on the Jones bars, it says "patent pending" and here we have Titec with "mass produced" similarly designed product. How did that work out?
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

- factotum -
    Maybe Titec had to shape their bars like that for copyright reasons? Curved tube vs. straight etc.
    And from the seond picture they don`t look to have much rise after all. At least not the forward and rearward hand positions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

So you are saying that

Titec "stole" Jones design without giving him any credit (cash).
    If so i will boycott Titec for the rest of my life.

- factotum -
    Quote Originally Posted by Newsboy
    Titec "stole" Jones design without giving him any credit (cash).
    If so i will boycott Titec for the rest of my life.
    Didn't want to imply that!
    I simply don't know the interna of Titec. But it would not be the first time two manufacturers marvellously made the "same invention at the same time".

Since I think the world is ruled by the Illuminati this never really surprises me.

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005
    Wow - the way "rumours" spread on the interweb... No, Titec haven't stolen anything AFAIK.

From the (very lengthy) discussion on here over the last couple of years, it seems that Titec and JJ have come to a licensing agreement that covers the fundamental design features of JJ's original Ti H-bar.

DM

Reviewer/Tester
    Nope...no, Jeff Jones worked with Titec to help design a cheaper mass-produced version of the real Ti H-Bar.

This is the result.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member

Midge

I want to get a Midge bar with risers and barends.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Cool then

if Jones got paid for his ideas and work.

But the rise is still as ugly as barends on a riserbar has always been.
    (Greg Herbolds of the world, you know who you are!)

Recovering couch patato
    Rise? Flip it, use a taller stem and enjoy the super-comfy narrow aero tuck position! On the regular H-bar this position is just not nice on the wrists. If the cross bar has some forward sweep it become really good. Trust me...

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Sigh... youngins.... haven't you ever heard of brake lever extensions for use with bar ends? Joe Murray's Dr Dews for example. Paul's components had them also.
    Oh yeah! I forgot about those! Man, so old-school.

mtbr member
    Bar ends hook on trees/vines alot around here. The H-Bar just gently deflects you... Better hand position too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Does the "flat" or rise section actually sweep fwds? It kinda looks like it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tosis
    Does the "flat" or rise section actually sweep fwds? It kinda looks like it...
    Kinda looks like it does. I wonder if they use one of their regular risers backwards for the middle segment...
    FWIW I like the looks of it. If the price isn't too steep I may have to try it.

mtbr member
    The bar I ordered was only available in 25.4.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GT
    Because the "bar end" position is the least used and least important feature of the H-bar. The rearward hand position is where it's at.
    Visuals and details
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

highly visible
    I may actually have to get the Titec version of this bar. I really want to do a long term test on the "real" H bar (been using Marys for the last couple of years, but they're still not quite right) but have yet to scrape together the $300 to do it. This version would allow me to at least see how the hand positions work for me. I'd probably end up selling it after a few months no matter what, and either getting the Ti H-bar (or else keep looking) depending on how it worked out.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Get out of town!

Interesting News...

Considering I am trying to figure out which bars to run on a Karate Monkey I am building up. I'm sure Mr. Jones won't mind if these bars sell like hotcakes
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005

...Forward sweep

Re. the central section appearing to sweep forwards:

I "think" the bars are pictured on a flat surface, so they're resting on central clap area and also the forward extensions. So effectively rotated forwards from the normal riding setup.

If you tilted them back so the grip sections are in the normal riding position (either horizontal or slightly downward a the back) then the apparent "forward" sweep becomes a standard (upward) rise.

Or something.

DM

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Availability?

Who has these in stock? I am building up a Sir 9 when she gets here and am torn on bars. I would love to have the "real" thing, but can't justify $300 until I try it. Any specific info on the geometry?

mtbr member
    www.bikeman.com has a shipment on the way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dave
    Re. the central section appearing to sweep forwards:

I "think" the bars are pictured on a flat surface, so they're resting on central clap area and also the forward extensions. So effectively rotated forwards from the normal riding setup.

If you tilted them back so the grip sections are in the normal riding position (either horizontal or slightly downward a the back) then the apparent "forward" sweep becomes a standard (upward) rise.

Or something.

DM
    I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that these were designed with forward sweep so you could use the stem you currently run. With JJ's bar (those in the know correct me if I'm wrong), you need to run a new stem to set it up properly.
    Just another nighthawk at the diner

Rock -n-roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies...

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW
    I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that these were designed with forward sweep so you could use the stem you currently run. With JJ's bar (those in the know correct me if I'm wrong), you need to run a new stem to set it up properly.

I didn't run a new stem..same stem fits on both my bikes.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW
    For most people this is true. I went from a 120mm stem with risers to a 130, 140 and then 150 with the H-bars. Even with a 150mm stem I felt like they were a little too close when climbing.

They were super comfortable, felt good while descending, and I felt like I could generate a lot of power during seated climbs. As soon as I had to stand and crank, they felt funky. Sold 'em on eBay and lost only $15.

BTW, not only did brake lever extensions exist to run with bar ends, tektro made brake levers specifically shaped to work with the bar ends also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Tektro-MTB-M...QQcmdZViewItem
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    You know, I couldn't agree with you less. I need all the rise I can get. Right now I run a 15deg stem, 1.5"s of spacers and a 2.5" rise bar just to get my bars 1" below my seat height. I really wanted the Jones version of the bar but couldn't figure out how to make it work with out a new fork!

I agree the Jones bar looks better, but this one hopefully will fit me better(and save me lots of money too!).
    Or you could use a 30 or 40 degree stem without the spacers and riser bar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

setup at least from my perspective...

for the actual H-bar I have the centerline of my stem approximately the same height as the imaginary line at the top of my seat. I use an 110mm 15 degree Thomson with approx 18mm of spacers together with a frame with a 4.5" headtube. I have my h-bars tilted about 22 degrees downward (the ends of the bars should be pointed at the rear drop out). I really like them. Bars eveyone must remember are very much a personal choice.

VTW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I thought those seemed like a cool idea. I bought some in the mid 90s, used them on 1st gen DX levers with Onza barends. I just couldn't get them to fit/feel right. They soon ended up in my parts box. Too bad though, because I would still like to brake from my barends. Maybe some inline CX levers could be made to work.

mtbr member
    Bar ends hook on trees/vines alot around here. The H-Bar just gently deflects you... Better hand position too.
    Lots of trees around here too (mich) I use long L-bend barends that have about the same angle as the H-bar. They also deflect rather than snag on trees, but they obviously lack the rearward hand position.

A wide well swept flat bar like came on my Mikado Kamikaze (early 80s canadian mtb) gives the rearward hand position of a jones, and can still work with bar ends. Its got a 12 degree sweep and is 27" wide.

Recovering couch patato
    You are comparing a 12 flat bar to a 3-piece 45 bar? Maybe I'm not seeing those bars yoy got right.
    Anyways, flat swept bars seem to have been around before they became broomstick shaped. Who-ever came up with those? And who started buying them?
    IMO barends are nice to move your hands arounds. As neither ~0 nor ~90 is very comfortable to most hands for longer periods of time. ~45 however to many seems to take away need for other positions and furher bar attachments. would city bikes have all that back sweep for a reason, and for longer than a century too?

Nat
    mtbr member
    I don't think the "perfect bar" has been invented yet. The 45-deg sweep is a nice all-arounder, but when I'm standing up and cranking I move my thumbs to the outside of the grip area (same side as my fingers rather than around the bar). I can tell that a grip area more 90-deg, or front-rear orientation would be best for power (like a barend). Plus, you have to set the pitch of the 45-deg angle just right to be suitable for both mashing and descending. Too far angled up or down and it compromises one or the other.

Even with the barend brake extensions like Dee-Eight showed however, it doesn't look as if you could squeeze the brake lever with your strong index finger with which you normally brake. If your levers are angled at 45-deg or higher towards horizontal, and your barends are oriented horizontal for standing climbs, then the vector of pull on the levers would be all wrong from the barends. You'd be squeezing vertically but the levers need to move more rearward at 45-deg or more.

Also, when I stand up to climb, I want my back straight as possible, which means that a grip position aft of/higher than the crossbar would be ideal. In other words, a barend pointing backwards that rises an inch or two above the main crossbar would be nice. The problem I think about here is that your thighs might be bumping into the barends a lot, or in a crash the bar end might jab you in the kidneys.

miSSionary's Black Sheep Enduro bar seems pretty close. It has a big backsweep crossbar good for cruising and descending, and a front-rear "extension" for standing climbs. Still, you can't reach the brake lever from both positions, whereas you can with the Jones bar. I'd love to try this bar:

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I don't think the "perfect bar" has been invented yet ... a grip area more 90-deg, or front-rear orientation would be best for power (like a barend). Plus, you have to set the pitch of the 45-deg angle just right to be suitable for both mashing and descending. Too far angled up or down and it compromises one or the other..
    I couldn't agree more. Still waiting for the right bar. Mary's 40 degrees is definitely not as much as I'd like for climbing. My experiments with 60 degree-ish inverted cruiser bars have been promising, with the only major downside being weight and the fact that the ones I've tried aren't wide enough for real MTB use. The Black Sheep bar looks intriguing.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member

How about a black sheep riser h-bar?

I wanted a wide cruiser-like bar with some rise and sweep and James at Blacksheep tried to talk me into his mustache bars. I really liked the mustache bars but also struggled with where to mount the Rohloff shifter. As an engineer, I also questioned the rigidity of the mustache's 7/8" diameter and liked the h-bar's 1" diameter center section, which I thought it would be stiff enough for even for my fat ass! Thus, I designed the following and James built them (James will truly build what YOU want and he called my design the "Texas Longhorns" and said he would post them on his web-site, but nothing yet):

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brontotx
    I wanted a wide cruiser-like bar with some rise and sweep and James at Blacksheep tried to talk me into his mustache bars. I really liked the mustache bars but also struggled with where to mount the Rohloff shifter. As an engineer, I also questioned the rigidity of the mustache's 7/8" diameter and liked the h-bar's 1" diameter center section, which I thought it would be stiff enough for even for my fat ass! Thus, I designed the following and James built them (James will truly build what YOU want and he called my design the "Texas Longhorns" and said he would post them on his web-site, but nothing yet):
    Thats a nice looking bar, but its not really an H bar. The forward parts are kinda too short to be used for much, so its more like a regular big sweep bar.

mtbr member

Point Taken

Quote Originally Posted by grawbass
    Thats a nice looking bar, but its not really an H bar. The forward parts are kinda too short to be used for much, so its more like a regular big sweep bar.
    Thanks for the comment and I agree - w/ the angle I planned on running the bars, I didn't need or care for the front extensions. I am having some radiused Ti "plugs" machined to fit in the end of grip sections, so they will ultimately end up about an inch longer (and I can get rid of the poor-fitting plastic plugs James provided). Like the h-bar, these bars also have another hand position and can be ridden with your hands on the welded transition between the center and grip sections (very comfy position - I currently have these areas wrapped with bar tape).

BTW - I'll quote your post if JJ decides to come after me for patent infringement!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    BTW - I'll quote your post if JJ decides to come after me for patent infringement!
    Somewhere along the line (last year, the year before?) someone posted a link to Jones' patent application, and there were discussions around it (original application was denied and it was being reauthored?). I think what made Jones' bar patent'able was the use of the forward extension for the mounting of the controls, rather than just an additional hand position.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    According to the blurp on Titecs website

Front sweep 8, Up sweep 4

Clamp is 25.4

And they are "designed" by Jeff Jones.

I have a set on order to try on my fixed cross-check, although the ultimate goal will be a KM build this spring. And maybe bar end shifters in front.

mtbr member

Got mine....

I'll post more pics/review once I get them mounted up.

In FTF We Trust
    I'll post more pics/review once I get them mounted up.
    Tease. So does the center section indeed have forward sweep? If so, these may be worth a shot.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member

Yes...

Center section does have forward sweep. Also, the bar arcs downwards at each end, losing some of the gained rise, but making for a good hand position. One note, bolt on Oury grips will not fit on the bar, the welds get in the way. They feel great. I hoped this would be a inexpensive way to try out the H-Bar concept, so far I feel it will be.

neutiquam erro
    Maybe it's just me, but your wheel and stem don't look to be quite lined up...

Thanks for the pics though, looks good!

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    Hmmm, just checked it again, sure looks straight on the bike, maybe the camera angle was a little funny. Of course I have been told I'm alittle off before....

Recovering couch patato
    WOWWWW, YES!!

Forward sweep, and rise, awesome!!
    Yup, this bar needs to be fitted to a tall front end, flipped. The crossbar will definately add a great aero or road climbing position!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Center section does have forward sweep. Also, the bar arcs downwards at each end, losing some of the gained rise, but making for a good hand position. One note, bolt on Oury grips will not fit on the bar, the welds get in the way. They feel great. I hoped this would be a inexpensive way to try out the H-Bar concept, so far I feel it will be.
    Thanks for the pics and confirmation of the geometry. I've got a set on order from the folks at aeBike, along with brake levers, cable and grips (swapping out my Midge on the CrossCheck)

Recovering couch patato
    Has this been mentioned before? The horns seem longer, and the rearward extensions seem longer. Using a bit more forward sweep still on the crossbar, or a longer stem, and keeping the rearward extension longer, the whole "idea" of the Jones bar, brake levers in front of the weld could be taken away. Like brontotx's custom bar.
    On the Mary, that's used as a selling argument, and I do feel the H's main downside is that long weld area getting in the way of mounting controls.
    I do like the Titec of course, will definately try to get one here in Europe. No rise would have made it even more perfect for me, but I like flat bars for their height.

MellowCat, can you please confirm the bar's overall width at the widest point? It doesn't look narrower than the original H I've got now, which is 700mm+ I think.

Oh, and a thank you to titec : no 31.8mm OS :-)
    What is better/nicer for such bars than an "old fashioned" Thomson Elite stem anyway? Ive got a 140mm now, and a new 120mm on the way. Hmm, the Titec H may find his way to the Redline Flight I'm building, if it's really narrower than the Ti H.

Recovering couch patato
    @dobber :
    Someone asked about H-Bar on a Crosscheck before, and I remember at that time advising against it. The standard Ti H-Bar asks for a longer-than usual stem on an MTB. Road bar have MORE reach than MTB bars. So an H on a drop bar-designed bike (shorter top tube) can make for a pretty cramped fit, unless a really long stem is used. The long stem won't likely "kill" handling, hands are farther forward of the steerer on drop bars than with MTB's after all.
    The Titec offering some forward sweep will help this situation a bit, making this closer to that of a plain riser bar. A long (for you) stem will probably still be nice though.
    Please do report back to us how the Titec H works out on your Cross-Check (I have one as well, and it's a tad long for me with a standard road bar despite 100mm stem). Ride positions pics before-after would be extra cool :-)
    Good luck with the swap,

Happy trials,

J

mtbr member
    Cloxxki,

The bar says 660mm wide on it. I haven't put a tape to it though.

MC

mtbr member
    Great to see those mounted on a bike! THey look nice! it looks like the rise doesn't really impact things because the sweep part seems to counteract the rise correct?

Is that an Inbred 29er or 26er?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    @dobber :
    Someone asked about H-Bar on a Crosscheck before, and I remember at that time advising against it. The standard Ti H-Bar asks for a longer-than usual stem on an MTB. Road bar have MORE reach than MTB bars. So an H on a drop bar-designed bike (shorter top tube) can make for a pretty cramped fit, unless a really long stem is used. The long stem won't likely "kill" handling, hands are farther forward of the steerer on drop bars than with MTB's after all.
    Thanks for the thoughts. It's an experiment to be sure. If they don't work on the Check, I'll move em over to the fixed 1x1, everything seems to get a trial on that frame, I recently had the Cross Check's wheels on it with the 700x42 Mythos XC tires.

I could always just buy that KM frame.

Heres my starting point for the Check

Got a couple Salsa stems of varying length and angle to fiddle with.

mtbr member
    The way I setup the bars with the ends tilted down some the rise effect is mostly lost.

Its an Inbred 26'er that will be setup fixed once my Boone cog ships.

King of vegetarians
    Nice bike Dobber!What`s the length and angle of the stem you got in the picture?

King of vegetarians
    I wanted a wide cruiser-like bar with some rise and sweep):
    VERY KOOL!!!
    What`s the sweep on those Texas Longhorns and how wide are they?

SVO
    mtbr member
    Because Titec has a marketing dept, they had to be riser, because risers sell, becuase every yahoo wants to look "moto". No spacers, angled stems with flat bars are the strongest and lightest and can achieve any position riser bars can. Barends only reveal riserbars' stupidity- they don't create it. All the lads at endurance events with one-posiiton bars are a great source of amusement.

I have a serious jones for the real issue, but since I can't afford, flat carbons and these are a pretty good substitute.

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    I just mounted up my Titec H-bars today on my IRO cross bike. They are very nice and look a lot better than I thought they would. I already have two Jones H-bars, on my SS rigid Curtlo and my Karate Monkey. There is a forward sweep on the Titecs so you can use the same stem you would with straight bars and not alter the distance to the bars. The rise is 37mm, which works perfectly for me on the cross bike. It lets me use a non rise stem and still not need too many spacers to get the bars where I like. I was afraid the 37mm rise would look pretty ugly but it looks fine with them on the bike.

The bars feel great and make the bike more comfortable and more capable offroad. I'm obviously a huge fan of H-bars. There are three main positions on the bars, with lots of small variations. I ride with my palms on the welds a lot of the time, both offdirt and on easy dirt trails/fireroad. I move back on the grips whenever it gets bumpy or technical. I use the curved extensions regularly on pavement, whenever I want to get aero. I find the extensions comfortable and very useful...and an important feature.

The Titecs are an excellent addition to the H-bar lineup.

bruSS

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yoginasser
    Nice bike Dobber!What`s the length and angle of the stem you got in the picture?
    It's a Salsa 130, 135mm length. Gets those Midges up nice and high.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigid
    I just mounted up my Titec H-bars today on my IRO cross bike. They are very nice and look a lot better than I thought they would. I already have two Jones H-bars, on my SS rigid Curtlo and my Karate Monkey. There is a forward sweep on the Titecs so you can use ....blah, blah, blah......I want to get aero. I find the extensions comfortable and very useful...and an important feature.

The Titecs are an excellent addition to the H-bar lineup.

bruSS
    I'm gonna have to agree, these bars a purty nice. I haven't had a lot of time on them (mounted Saturday) but so far they are all I expected.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SVO
    All the lads at endurance events with one-posiiton bars are a great source of amusement.
    Actually you're providing a bit of amusement with your purported knowledge.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Received about a week ago the Titec H-bar from Bikeman.

I must say that I like the original better .

mtbr member
    Yeah, me too. All of the extra bends and rise wreck the look some, but functionally it seems like a great product. Hopefully I'll get some trail time on mine this week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, me too. All of the extra bends and rise wreck the look some, but functionally it seems like a great product. Hopefully I'll get some trail time on mine this week.
    The original is about an inch wider and I like to grab the bar in the middle,
    the Titec is not so comfy in that position because of the rise!

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by marinti
    Then add some spacers and a higher stem, and flip the thing!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Then add some spacers and a higher stem, and flip the thing!

But then the stickers would be upside down !!

I've got them flipped right now, tomorrow I'll do a good evaluation ride.

'Calm Down'
    ????? - I have 2 Jones bars and the Titec version is identical to my Jones in width/angle. The only difference is of course the rise and forward sweep which is perfect for my SS with a low front end. The Jones was tough to get high enough on that bike and the Titec works out just right.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by marinti
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Get out of town!
    Quote Originally Posted by SVO
    Because Titec has a marketing dept, they had to be riser, because risers sell, becuase every yahoo wants to look "moto". No spacers, angled stems with flat bars are the strongest and lightest and can achieve any position riser bars can. Barends only reveal riserbars' stupidity- they don't create it. All the lads at endurance events with one-posiiton bars are a great source of amusement.

I have a serious jones for the real issue, but since I can't afford, flat carbons and these are a pretty good substitute.
    Those bar ends are $75 but you can't.....never mind.

Continue to split hairs for your own amusement.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

King of vegetarians
    would city bikes have all that back sweep for a reason, and for longer than a century too?
    Word!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne
    ????? - I have 2 Jones bars and the Titec version is identical to my Jones in width/angle. The only difference is of course the rise and forward sweep which is perfect for my SS with a low front end. The Jones was tough to get high enough on that bike and the Titec works out just right.

jw

Your absolutely right , at widest point with dimension grips mine both measure 70cm.
    The original just feels more comfy/natural!

King of vegetarians
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne
    ????? - I have 2 Jones bars and the Titec version is identical to my Jones in width/angle. The only difference is of course the rise and forward sweep
    jw
    Dobber mentioned a "Front sweep 8, Up sweep 4"for the Titec version,what`s the angle on your original H-bar GrumpyOne?I thought the original H-bar had zero sweep (other than the 45 grip angle) and can be given sweep just by rotating the bar as much as you like,or was I mistaken?

King of vegetarians
    What is the rise on the bar Martini?

29 inches and Pissed Off!

Compare Hbar vs. Mary.

Here's a shot of the Titec Hbar vs. a Mary. Only bummer is it arrived with a dent. Back it goes. Man, I was so excited about trying it.
    Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

highly visible
    Whoa, that's the first time I've seen them next to each other like that. The difference in angle looks like more than 5* to me. Mary doesn't have quite enough sweep for me, and after looking at that photo I know I'm going to like my H. Should be here in a day or two.

YTF did I wait so long? Oh yeah, they cost $300 until now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Mellow you betta' call me fool!

I have been trying to find folks to ride with and here you are posting pretty pictures all over the internet. Lets get that bar broken in this week. The white stuff is fun to ride on. Let me know time and place and I am there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by william_thorn
    I have been trying to find folks to ride with and here you are posting pretty pictures all over the internet. Lets get that bar broken in this week. The white stuff is fun to ride on. Let me know time and place and I am there.

mtbr member
    William,

Let me see.....Trip to Death Valley, then Vegas, got home, caught the Flu in Vegas, down for a week, now my wife is sick and one of our cars broke down yesterday! If all goes well I will ride this week!

Scott

Dazed and Confused
    Looks great. There's not enough welds on my current handlebars.
    Is ibuprofen considered a recreational drug?

Members who have read this thread: 0