Titec/Jones H-Bar Updates?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    indigosky
    Guest

    Titec/Jones H-Bar Updates?

    I just found this in the Titec website FAQ, but there is no picture or other information about it. Anybody got the scoop???

    A: Designed with the support of Jeff Jones, the Titec H-bar descends like a big freeride riser bar and climbs like a narrow XC bar, thanks to its unconventional 45 degree sweep. With the H-Bar, you can move back almost 5" behind the stem clamp for a super-wide, super-stable position. Slide forward to one of the narrower positions for fire-road climbing or flatland spinning. Or split the difference for a perfect singlespeed stance.
    By matching the natural angle of your hand at rest, the H-Bar reduces numbness, wrist pain and fatigue. We´ve also added a 31.8 clamp for extra stiffness and 1" of rise

  2. #2
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,438
    Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    I just found this in the Titec website FAQ, but there is no picture or other information about it. Anybody got the scoop???

    A: Designed with the support of Jeff Jones, the Titec H-bar descends like a big freeride riser bar and climbs like a narrow XC bar, thanks to its unconventional 45 degree sweep. With the H-Bar, you can move back almost 5" behind the stem clamp for a super-wide, super-stable position. Slide forward to one of the narrower positions for fire-road climbing or flatland spinning. Or split the difference for a perfect singlespeed stance.
    By matching the natural angle of your hand at rest, the H-Bar reduces numbness, wrist pain and fatigue. We´ve also added a 31.8 clamp for extra stiffness and 1" of rise
    Didn't Titec go belly-up a few months ago, or was that another internet rumor?

  3. #3
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Didn't Titec go belly-up a few months ago, or was that another internet rumor?
    No. Titec was being bought by Profile Design (the road/mtb bar, stem, crank, etc company, not Profile Racing - the BMX company):
    http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicyc..._id=1000989154

    A lot of the old standby parts are gone
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    A lot of the old standby parts are gone
    So much for the good old days... and the killer 25-degree stems! I just bolted on a new Bonty 25-D and I must say that it's pretty sweet.

  5. #5
    Mtn Biker Machinist
    Reputation: 1 cog frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,074

    hijack in progress

    a 25 degree stem from Bonty? been looking for one in 120 length, where did you get it?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    a 25 degree stem from Bonty? been looking for one in 120 length, where did you get it?
    I had some friends who run a shop down in NC order the stem for me. You can see them here: Bonty Stems
    According to my buddies they had many sizes in stock. I was able to get a 25d in the 110 length in about 5 days with standard ground shipping. It's a perfect fit for my midge's! Any Trek / Fischer dealer should be able to hook you up but if you get stuck shoot me a PM for the NC shop details.
    l-dub

  7. #7
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Looks like they are still in the works. These pics showed up in my in-box from an unknown source. Just said this is a current prototype and the forward sweep of the crossbar does not require a stem length change. That's all I know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  8. #8
    Feet back and spread 'em!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    624

    kinda like...

    looks kinda like my Mary bar, only without the horns.

  9. #9
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,262
    Way to eff up a clever design. Of course, this may have been part of the plan all along - so that those who want a true H-bar design (regardless of material) will still need to go to Jones directly.

  10. #10
    giddy up!
    Reputation: donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Way to eff up a clever design. Of course, this may have been part of the plan all along - so that those who want a true H-bar design (regardless of material) will still need to go to Jones directly.
    Huh?????

    B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Huh?????

    B
    if they want to do that I still think it would be best to bend the bar and weld the extensions on for the brake levers. Rather than do it that way.

    Anyhow.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    135
    Or better yet -
    Put bar ends on mary.

    The current spaz about jones bars reminds me of about 10 - 15 years ago when everyone had-to-have bullhorns. Or those dumb scott full wrap-arounds.

    Same ****, different shovel. Ergo this, blah blah that.

  13. #13
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles
    Or better yet -
    Put bar ends on mary.

    The current spaz about jones bars reminds me of about 10 - 15 years ago when everyone had-to-have bullhorns. Or those dumb scott full wrap-arounds.

    Same ****, different shovel. Ergo this, blah blah that.
    Bar ends on a Mary would stick forward/out at about a 45 degree angle. It'd be like doing bicep curls with the curl bar. At least it'd hook trees really well.

  14. #14
    rbtm member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    888
    I don't know what makes this "eff'ed up" or why one would want to bother constructing something similar out of different parts. It looks pretty promising to me. Mary solved a real problem I was having with my wrists so I wouldn't mind trying variations on the theme. I know it's tough to understand but choice is good.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

  15. #15
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles
    Or better yet -
    Put bar ends on mary.

    The current spaz about jones bars reminds me of about 10 - 15 years ago when everyone had-to-have bullhorns. Or those dumb scott full wrap-arounds.

    Same ****, different shovel. Ergo this, blah blah that.
    I missed the "had-to-have bullhorns" period and I have been in the game for 22 years. John Weissenrider (sp) did make similar "Jet" bars in the late '80s that never gained popularity.

    The Scott bars were one-piece bar ends/bars. The main hand position was the same as with straight bars.

    The Jones/Titec HBar and On-One Mary do offer a position that is different (even from each other) and functional. No everyone likes it and you do not have to. Personally I find straight bars to be s*** and non-functional.

    As far as the construction method/shape of the Titec prototype: The crossbar bends are similar to a "normal" riser bar. Not much tooling changes needed. Simplier miters and easier angle changes of the end pieces, too.

    I can see the advantage of the forward sweep and slight rise in not needing to replace a stem though that may be mooted by the 31.8 bar clamp size.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    135
    Put the bar ends in the bend of Mary - not on the end. Now you've got a much cheaper version of the Jones.

    Easy turbo - No need to jump on my case - I wasn't dissing the bars. Just commenting that parts fads come and go. Someone's mighty sensitive and obsessive about handlebars, huh?

  17. #17
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles
    Put the bar ends in the bend of Mary - not on the end. Now you've got a much cheaper version of the Jones.
    Bar ends will not fit in the bend of the Mary bar. The diameter changes at the bend. The Titec Hbar will probably cost about the same as a Mary + bar ends.

    "Same ****, different shovel" is a dis no matter how you look at it.

    Obsessed with bars? Guilty. My body demands it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  18. #18
    dirty hippy mountainbiker
    Reputation: wolfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,146

    fad

    I wanted those scott bars. I don't know if it was a craze, but I thought they were cool. I also thought that a neg rise stem and "cloxxki-low" bar height was cool too.

    The titec looks like a good design to me. I'll need a set for my ss. Love Mary!

    -M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

  19. #19
    Reviewer/Tester
    Reputation: Rainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,176
    Nice..... but I think i'll stick with the JJ H bars.


    R.
    It is inevitable ...

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil4bc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    No. Titec was being bought by Profile Design (the road/mtb bar, stem, crank, etc company, not Profile Racing - the BMX company):
    http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicyc..._id=1000989154

    A lot of the old standby parts are gone
    Shiggy
    You should check out who owns Profile Designs ...?
    .... may not be the profile bmx your thinking of , but there still owned by one of the biggest bmx distrubuters in the sport ... IE: PRIMO / Tip Plus ... FYI
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

  21. #21
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    Shiggy
    You should check out who owns Profile Designs ...?
    .... may not be the profile bmx your thinking of , but there (sic) still owned by one of the biggest bmx distrubuters in the sport ... IE: PRIMO / Tip Plus ... FYI
    It really does not matter. I was just pointing out that Profile Designs and Profile Racing are different, unrelated companies.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    355
    The Scott AT- series bars were too narrow, but other than that they weren't so bad. The closed front made them much better than bar-ends for bushwhacking, and the multiple hand positions were great for long rides and/or pavement stretches.

    Titec's modifications on the H-bar seem to be well motivated. Jeff's customers won't mind shelling out for a different stem, but Titec already does riser 31.8 bars so the tooling is ready, and at their target price point making it a straight swap for a regular bar makes sense.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mainlyfats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,156

    Scott bars rock

    [QUOTE=Daner]The Scott AT- series bars were too narrow, but other than that they weren't so bad. The closed front made them much better than bar-ends for bushwhacking, and the multiple hand positions were great for long rides and/or pavement stretches.
    QUOTE]

    I never understood barends after Scott bars. Lighter, Cinelli cork wrapped, nothing to set-up, great position transition... I have a set waiting in the wings for when I decide they definitively are my favourite (Canada, sorry) bars of all time.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    355
    AT-4 or Pro?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    28
    I have a set of Scott AT-2 LF (?) on my fixie and love them. Like posted above if a little wider and and a few tweeks I think they could make a great comeback in Carbon!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,971

    Scott LFX-2 Carbon

    I had a pair of those Scott LFX-2 (I think that is the model) bars. They were an integrated bar/barend combo in carbon/thermoplastic. They worked pretty well and were VERY light. They flexed alot when you were on the barend section, but no breakage. The only thing I did not like about them was the bend radius was too large, forcing your main hand position to be too narrow. I think the AT2 bars have the same problem. Klein also had a supetlight bar/barend combo. It was a carbon bar mated to aluminum barends. I still have one of those, but am not using it right now.

    On another note, I still can't grasp the whole riser bar/no barend thing for XC riding. When I built up my first SS I tried a set of risers for like 2 rides, and then quickly changed them out for a good flat bar and barends. For standing climbing, I always use the barends to get my weight forward, and with risers it just felt like I had no leverage. But that is just me, and I accept that others feel differently. I have not tried a Jones or mary bar, and don't plan to, If it ain't broken, don't fix it! (For me at least).

    Mark

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    355
    What have you got to lose by trying something new? Either way, you find out what you like better, and at the same time gain a broader perspective. I don't necessarily advocate that philosophy for all of life's potential questions, but when it comes to testing handlebars I can't see how it can do much harm.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Daner
    What have you got to lose by trying something new? Either way, you find out what you like better, and at the same time gain a broader perspective. I don't necessarily advocate that philosophy for all of life's potential questions, but when it comes to testing handlebars I can't see how it can do much harm.
    Your right, it would be good to experiment with a different kind of bar. Unfortunately because I have Ti envy, it would have to be the original Jones bar, and I would have to shell out like $160, which I am not willing to do right now. I'm not saying I never will, but I am happy with my current setup.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    252

    From qbp.

    Titec H-Bar handlebar designed with Jeff Jones

    Unconventional design allows for multiple hand and body positions for better handling and greater comfort

    Bar Clamp Diameter: 31.8 mm
    Color: Black
    Bend:
    Material: 6061
    Width: 670 mm
    Bar Rise: 37 mm
    Weight: 390.0 g

    Invoice Description: Titec H-Bar 31.8 black
    Manufacturer Part Number: HBAR
    Country of Origin: TW



    Price: about $60

  30. #30
    What's the Hurry?
    Reputation: AnotherWingnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Bar ends will not fit in the bend of the Mary bar. The diameter changes at the bend.
    I beg to differ....
    " width="549">
    Regards, david
    What are we going to do tonight, Brain? Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherWingnut
    I beg to differ....

    Regards, david
    you rock.

    and you even have your front brakes set up the cool way on the fork :-)

  32. #32
    What's the Hurry?
    Reputation: AnotherWingnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    95

    Irony? Sarcasm?

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    you rock.

    and you even have your front brakes set up the cool way on the fork :-)
    Never quite sure how to take your posts Brant

    Regards, David.

    PS You never did send those cranks to cure the chainline on me pompino
    What are we going to do tonight, Brain? Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherWingnut
    Never quite sure how to take your posts Brant

    Regards, David.

    PS You never did send those cranks to cure the chainline on me pompino
    No. Seriously. It's great.
    Pompino cranks. Ah crap. yes.
    I lost your email. That's my excuse.
    We have some double cyclocross cranks in now that look perfect for working with the 135mm rear hub. I can work you a swap out on those I'd have thought....

    Plus I've used your photo on our homepage with a link to this thread that I don't want you to get upset about.

  34. #34
    What's the Hurry?
    Reputation: AnotherWingnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    95

    Over it now

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    No. Seriously. It's great.
    Pompino cranks. Ah crap. yes.
    I lost your email. That's my excuse.
    We have some double cyclocross cranks in now that look perfect for working with the 135mm rear hub. I can work you a swap out on those I'd have thought....

    Plus I've used your photo on our homepage with a link to this thread that I don't want you to get upset about.
    Seriously Brant, I'm over the whole chainline/crankset thing bit of a bad time in my life you don't need to hear about that tho' ... pomp is all sorted on 175 cranks, 34x16 and cx tyres... managed to squeeze some 38's in the back with the wheel all the was back. the Mary's are on one of the thorn raven '04 sport tours that robin was knocking out on e-bay, a bargain, would have been rude not to . Cant believe nobody else has thought to put bar ends inside the brake levers. Ooooo fame, a pic of my bike on 'tinterweb, and I didn't have to post it myself
    Regards, David
    What are we going to do tonight, Brain? Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world

  35. #35
    Poorly Disguised Poser
    Reputation: unit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,171

    hummm...

    I was bragging to a friend recently how JJ seemed to be at the zenith of his carreer, and at this point a lot of companies start selling ideas to big companies (sellout) and not long after the product quality changes, the personal touches are lost, and it no longer has the appeal (to the few that knew about the company before it sold out) that it once had.

    I then bragged that JJ will probably never do that.

    I guess if he had not agreed to sell this one idea, it would have simply been modified slightly and stolen anyway.

    either way I am partially sad, but also glad.

    This will allow many to experience this neat bar, but it looks like to get the real McCoy (in TI) you still gotta call Jeff.

    ken

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    135
    Ha Ha - Booo ya!
    I was right all along - in your face naysayers!

  37. #37
    Fahrrad fahren
    Reputation: Hjalti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    301

    Outside the bend

    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherWingnut
    I beg to differ....
    " width="549">
    Regards, david
    Put them outside the bend and have an X bar.
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,023
    The location of the bar ends would be a bit too narrow for my tastes. Could they be moved to the middle of the bend so they point straight forward or slightly inward? Will the bar end clamp work at the bend?

  39. #39
    What's the Hurry?
    Reputation: AnotherWingnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by meloh1
    The location of the bar ends would be a bit too narrow for my tastes. Could they be moved to the middle of the bend so they point straight forward or slightly inward? Will the bar end clamp work at the bend?
    The barends are a little narrow and could be moved to the bends to widen the grip, but might stress the barend clamp a little. I use the barends when I am cruising and as such are pointed skywards about 30deg, they never take my full (not incosiderable) weight so clamping wasn't an issue, I just liked them there. I dont use the furthest reaches of the barends, so when a close out or e-bay bargain for some carbon stubbies comes my way I'll change them. I could cut them down, but that would limit their use when they get passed on to someone else or reused on another project. The bike they are on is my go getter running 1.9 slicks and 42x18 ss and 42x17 fixed.
    Regards, David
    What are we going to do tonight, Brain? Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.