Titanium SS frame, Yes? No?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Titanium SS frame, Yes? No?

Hey there,

I want to build up a lightweight bike to compliment my FS (Turner 5-Spot). I've never ridden a SS, but from what friends tell me, and what I read, I am pretty much sold on the idea.

Seems like there are alot of hardcore steel SS riders out there. What about Titanium for a frame material? There is a cool looking DEAN SS frame I am looking at with horizontal dropouts.

Also, considering going back to V's cause the frame I'm looking at is not disc compatible. The thought makes me cringe, but maybe V's arn't to bad on a SS?

Thanks,
    Bone

mtbr member
    V's in the rear are fine. They're lighter anyways.
    You don't need modulation in the rear, for my only concern is that I can lock up my rear wheel, if it will do that, great and V's do it quite easily.

The only advantage to rear disc is that if your wheel is out of true, you won't have your rim scraping the brakepads. BUT, with a SS setup, your rear wheel will be dishless and much less prone to going out of true (providing you know a good wheelbuilder). Unless you're casing curbs, ramming your bike upstairs and dropping to flat concrete, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

My SS will have a Hope Mini in the front and an Avid SingleDigit Ultimate in the rear.

mtbr member
    Although I ride a Ti & steel SS, I don't think there is that much difference in material, it's mosly in the geometry & build. My main reason for the Ti is mud/salt/winter weather, you don't have to worry about corrosion, paint scatches, etc... with Ti.

I do find that Discs are very nice on a SS, you tend to carry more momentum into corrners, dip, etc... to make the next hill, and having good, reliable, well modulated brakes is useful. Also, I tend to ride the SS in bad conditions more as it has less drivetrain issues, so discs help there too.

Cheers,

Tom

Birdman aka JMJ

I was thinking about steel for my first SS bike

Quote Originally Posted by Lambone
    Hey there,

I want to build up a lightweight bike to compliment my FS (Turner 5-Spot). I've never ridden a SS, but from what friends tell me, and what I read, I am pretty much sold on the idea.

Seems like there are alot of hardcore steel SS riders out there. What about Titanium for a frame material? There is a cool looking DEAN SS frame I am looking at with horizontal dropouts.

Also, considering going back to V's cause the frame I'm looking at is not disc compatible. The thought makes me cringe, but maybe V's arn't to bad on a SS?

Thanks,
    Bone
    ...but I scored a deal on an old Litespeed ti frame, so I went with that. Of course, my frame is not SS-specific, but I'm using an ENO rear hub with excellent results. Because I was starting with an older multi-gear frame, disc brakes were not an affordable option, so I went with Avid linear-pull brakes. No complaints here.

The other day I rode with a coworker for the maiden voyage of his Phil Wood SS (ti frame, disc brakes, Fox fork, ENO crankset... tres sweet!). We swapped bikes for a quick spin around the parking lot - very different feel than my ti SS, remarkably crisp handling, about the same weight (mine has a rigid Tange steel fork and RF cranks).

I'd say to keep your options open, look for steel or ti frames in your budget.

JMJ

giddy up!

Lambone.....

....I don't suppose you are the same "Lambone" that posts on the supertopo board?
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    ....I don't suppose you are the same "Lambone" that posts on the supertopo board?
    you got it...
    I bike alot more then i climb lately, when I'm not at work spraying on web forums...

giddy up!

Yup....

....same here..Used to climb 2-3 days a week and ride when I could find the time...Now I ride everyday and climb when I can....once every month or two:-(

OK....back to original question.

I would highly recommend ti for a SS, or geared back for that matter. Ti rides great, always looks good, and will last forever. As far as brakes are concerned.....I would try to go with discs, but if the dean is a good deal go for it.

Oh, don't forget to check out deans website...their frames are reasonably priced, so you may be able to get a disc compatible frame new for not much more than a used one. But then you'll have to deal with deans ridiculously bad customer service!

Let me know if you have other questions or need other advice.

you got it...
    I bike alot more then i climb lately, when I'm not at work spraying on web forums...
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    .....I would try to go with discs, but if the dean is a good deal go for it.

Let me know if you have other questions or need other advice.
    is $500 a good deal?

giddy up!

Yeah...

....$500 is a good deal, assuming that it is in great shape and that it fits well. I think that retail for that frame is probably in the 1000-1100 range....

is $500 a good deal?
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    ....$500 is a good deal, assuming that it is in great shape and that it fits well. I think that retail for that frame is probably in the 1000-1100 range....
    Yeah, retail for the Colenel With Discs is $1250

This one is new, my size....but I have no idea what the fit is like.

Only bummer is the V's

giddy up!

Dang...

....that's a great deal then. I would check the fit, if it's good, buy it.

$500 is a steal for a new frame.

Yeah, retail for the Colenel With Discs is $1250

This one is new, my size....but I have no idea what the fit is like.

Only bummer is the V's
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Flying Piece of...
    Jun 2004
    You can always go with a Phil Wood r hub (sweet) for disc and use the Phil adaptor for non-disk frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Dean ti SS with V's, and a Ionic steel with disc, (also from Dean) The Dean is light, responsive, and fast. The Ionic is also light, responsive, and fast. At this point in time I would reccomend the steel with disc over the Ti with V's. If price is a consideration go with the Dean, You will still love the bike. The Ti rides close to the steel and is lighter only because the EBB on the Ionic adds 7oz. (but it is worth it to have the disc brakes.

mtbr member
    I had a ti bike for a while and didn't like it, I thought it was to flexy. I have a cromoly bike now and it feels nice. But like someone else said geometry is very important.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

first have Blue, then F-117

I've never ridden a SS, but from what friends tell me, and what I read, I am pretty much sold on the idea.
    Before the gum'mint commited the big bucks to the F-117 stealth attack jet, they played around with a concept demonstrator they called Have Blue. It was like the F-117 except cheaper, with fewer bells and whistles.

What you need is a Have Blue singlespeed. Some cheap old frame with horizontals, hung with some beater parts as a SS. Or, a frame with horizontals and an old road derailleur as a tensioner, maybe even with a second, granny chainring for when the going gets tough. Ride that a bunch before you invest the big bucks in a shiny new SS. Was your first car a Ferrari?
    If you can't acquire a complete bike like that for under $50, something's wrong.

mtbr member
    thanks for the advice, but I like nice bikes...I like riding bikes, pretty much every kind, so i'm not too worried that i won't like a singlespeed.

the way I see it is why spend the money on a crappy bike that i will end up replacing for a better one anyway (been there, done that, many times)...as long as it's in the budget i'd rather just get the better one...

King Pin

Wink

My main SS ride WAS the fancy Sofa King Ti King Pin Limited Edition until last week.

Had the itch for another Surly. Bought it and built it up. Titanium is nice, very very nice. Something about going back to my first love had me longing, tho.

I like steel AND titanium, just something about that bargain-basement Surly that touches my heart! I've now ridden her exclusively (fixie) in the last few days, and my heart is singing a song that I haven't heard in quite some time! Perhaps it's the fixie aspect, or the wonderful ride that only (for me of course!) the Surly 1X1 possesses..?? I dunno, but I like it!

The only beyotch I have against Surly is the short toptube, but I am 6'5", necessitating an XL frame, which still doesn't possess the toptube length I am accustomed to....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Hey there,

Thanks,
    Bone
    I love my Matt Chester ti SS. Best bike I have ever ridden. The combo of ti and the custom fit is magic.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotian Lotion
    V's in the rear are fine. They're lighter anyways.
    You don't need modulation in the rear, for my only concern is that I can lock up my rear wheel, if it will do that, great and V's do it quite easily...
    I can not disagree more! Modulation on the rear is very important. Without it you either have no brakes or you are skidding and either is unacceptable. Just the ability to lock the wheel does not a good brake make.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    I can not disagree more! Modulation on the rear is very important. Without it you either have no brakes or you are skidding and either is unacceptable. Just the ability to lock the wheel does not a good brake make.
    You can get enough functional modulation with V's in the rear.
    I'd never run a V in the front however.

In FTF We Trust

have your cake and eat it too

I'm currently riding a custom Sycip Diesel disc specific steel SS and I love it but I wouldn't sneeze at a $500 ti SS frame. If discs are a big desire you could send the frame to Dean before you build it up and have them add a disc mount pretty cheap. I had a friend send his Dean in and have them remove the canti. hanger, add a disc mount and re-decal it and it was like $200-$250 if I recall. My local builder (Strong Frames in Bozeman, MT) quoted me $150 to add a disc mount to my GT ti hardtail. Just remember steel is real (cliche, I know but it's true).
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Pain-meister!
    Feb 2004

Ti is great IF it is stiff enough

I have really enjoyed my 26" Ti frame (built with a Soulcraft Convert: better than horizontal drops, I am convinced!), BUT there is a big caveat: this is an extremely STIFF Ti frame. Many lightweight Ti frames are quite flexy, which contributes to a comfy ride, but is death on a singlespeed.

This old RVT is a unique bike: Russian 5/2 alloy built by a former aerospace fabricator (glad they stopped building missles) and is much stiffer than the average Litespeed, Dean, etc. STIFF is so important for the SS bikes. Now, there is no free lunch. This is a large frame, and weighs a bit over 3 3/4 #...not the ultimate weight weenie frame, but an efficient power-transfer device...actually, I am NOT looking forward to selling this frame (as I'm getting my steel 29er built)...