Titanium 29inch singlespeed for sale.- Mtbr.com
    This place needs an enema

Titanium 29inch singlespeed for sale.

An Airborne B29! Less than 10 of these SS frames were ever made. I think at least 5 and maybe 6 of them were built in my shop.

Back in 2002 I'd built a bit of momentum and credibility, both as an endurance racer and in certain areas of product development. At the end of that season I had the unprecedented (for an endurance geek of that era) opportunity to choose from several different "factory rides" for the 2003 season. Ultimately my longtime friend Pat Irwin and I chose to ride for Airborne. Awesome piece of trivia -- the close 2nd that we ultimately leaned away from was Slingshot!

A big part of the reason that Pat and I chose Airborne was because they effectively gave us a clean slate to design a ne-plus-ultra chassis for the endurance races that we targeted. These were the days of the KTR and GLR as well as the necessary evils of 24's. Pat and I also attempted a ~500 mile ride on a chunk of the Yukon Quest route on these bikes.

This particular bike is unbelievably well kept. It belonged to my next-door neighbor, whom bought the frame and assembled it as a commuter for his wife. His wife whom *hates* to ride bikes off road, and even more on-road! The long and short of it is that this bike *might* have been ridden 100 miles in 10+ years. When I bought it back from him it had a thick (protective!) coat of dust on it, but underneath it still looked *perfect*.

Airborne's WWII-era motif mascot, "Miss Fire", adorns the top tube.

Airborne called the yoke pictured above the "Superfortress". They were a unique, creative company that was, unfortunately, married to Huffy USA and that relationship didn't really work out.

I stripped the cheap crap my neighbor had built this bike with and reassembled it the way I'd want to ride it -- some balance of light, comfortable, and durable. The Moots layback post ticks all 3 of those boxes.

Seatstay decals are still pristine.

Basic horizontal dropouts with slotted disc tabs make it easy to get everything lined up just so.

Titanium rotor, caliper, and adapter bolts ^.

Although many of the parts on this bike are in excellent used condition, the wheels and tires were brand-spanking new yesterday. Never been ridden -- just laced and tensioned 'em, then shod them with some quality tubeless-ready tires. Sealant already installed and they've held air perfectly overnight.

Hubs are Surly Ultra New Disc, rims are Stans NoTubes. I chose the Flow rim up front to get a little more square profile to the front tire for cornering purposes, and the Arch out back because it's the ideal balance of light/wide/durable for a singlespeed.

Spokes are DT Swiss Competition butted, nips are DT Swiss Prolock.

Tires are Bontrager XR-4 Team Issue TLR in 2.4". Supple casings and bomber tubeless reliability are the hallmarks of these tires. They also happen to have a really versatile tread pattern -- great balance of speed and grip.

Fork is a RockShox Reba with 100mm of travel. Can be shortened to 80 or stretched to 120. This fork has a few hundred miles on it, mostly put on on my fair-weather commuter, and almost all road miles.

Note titanium rotor and caliper bolts above.

Handlebars are swoopy and swept ti, courtesy of Ti Cycles in Portland. Note ti hardware on the Ritchey stem.

I shot the above image to highlight the clean joinery, but when cropping it I remembered to point out that that's a virtually new Shimano UN91 square taper BB. Smooove.

Cranks are the ubiquitous Race Face Turbine LP. Chainring is an Action Tec ti 29t. Brand new chainring bolts and self-extracting crank bolts.

What stands out about this bike is how far ahead of it's time it was, as the geometry isn't all that different from what a modern trailbike has. 18" seattube, 23.4" ETT, 69* HTA, 13.3" BB. Not *exactly* the same as what you'll find on showroom floors today, but not that far off.

Pat and I are both ~5'10" average humans, and this bike fit us like a well-used leather glove.

I briefly let my lovely wife Jeny ride this bike as her commuter (before all the shiny new parts were installed) and realized quickly that she was just going to grind it to dust if I let her. Easy enough to put her on any old bike for that task -- this bike is too rare and too special to go down that way.

Selling it for $800 even. I'm essentially selling the frame, King headset, fork, post, and wheels for that price, and giving the rest away.

That price assumes local pickup in Grand Junction, Colorado. Happy to ship for $100, or to meet you somewhere around CO, UT, or N. AZ this spring to hand it off in person.

Need it?

[email protected]

Old Fart
    Nice bike, Mike! But if it was bought for a woman, how large is the frame? The seat is set pretty high. I'm 6-0 with a 34 inseam but love 29ers cuz you sit "in" them, not on them...providing the frame is large enough. Whadyathink?
    Misfit DiSSent

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwahe View Post
    Nice bike, Mike! But if it was bought for a woman, how large is the frame? The seat is set pretty high. I'm 6-0 with a 34 inseam but love 29ers cuz you sit "in" them, not on them...providing the frame is large enough. Whadyathink?

The woman is 5.10". As am I.

The bike is sold btw.