Tires for singlespeed???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tires for singlespeed???

I just set up my SS. Have thrown on some old but very usable Specialized Team Master/Control. I used to pump them up to 40 for my geared full suspension. Did so on this ride...Yo, did that thing bounce around and react to every pebble. Then I let some air out...MUCH nicer, softer and less "reactive" to every nuance on the trail. Met up with some Tried and True SS'ers. They recommended I pick up some high volume/ wide/ low pressure tires. Is this fact? I am a WEIGHT WEENIE and do not want the burden of having to turn these huge downhill tires on my light bike...
    Tires for Singlespeed???
    p.s.- East coast roots, rocks, sand, tight singletrack.

uncompliant

Recent favourites...

I'm fully rigid as well as SS so there might be other things coming into my reasoning, but, I like big tyres (min 2.3") and would rather they weren't in the DH weight categories. That said it sometimes feels like a bit freedom to have saved all that weight elsewhere and then allow yourself the luxury of some meaty rubber

Had good times for the last year or two with Nokian NBX 2.3 - reasonably high volume and fairly knobbly/grippy. Good all rounder, copes with mud 'OK'. Nice distinctive rumble on the black stuff

Hutchinson Mosquitos 2.3 - seem fairly high volume for the width - so good cushioning. Grip 'OK' but fast rolling. Need to "wang them over" in corners to get the most out of them.

Currently on Continental Diesel 2.5s - limited testing so far but first impressions very good. Nice low pressures easily possible without pinch risk, giving lots of grip and plenty of cush. Only struggling in very gloopy mud, but what doesn't, apart from mud tyres and I've never been bothered about swapping tyres too much - conditions are too mixed here to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    I just set up my SS. Have thrown on some old but very usable Specialized Team Master/Control. I used to pump them up to 40 for my geared full suspension. Did so on this ride...Yo, did that thing bounce around and react to every pebble. Then I let some air out...MUCH nicer, softer and less "reactive" to every nuance on the trail. Met up with some Tried and True SS'ers. They recommended I pick up some high volume/ wide/ low pressure tires. Is this fact? I am a WEIGHT WEENIE and do not want the burden of having to turn these huge downhill tires on my light bike...
    Tires for Singlespeed???

MTBR.com Addict

Take a look at wtb tires

I've been riding the mutano raptor race 2.4's and they roll really quick as well as being lighter than their 2.1 non-race version.
    Also the Weir Wolf race tires are good. I just got a set of these and slapped on the SS, haven't had a chance to try them yet though, ride called on account of rain.

Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

formerly Giantxc
    Look for a Geax Blade 225. I've ridden it the Mutano 2.4 and the Weirwolf 2.5 rigid on east coast rocks and roots and its cushier than the other two, largely because I believe it has more air volume and is actually a bigger tire than the Mutano. Also the weight is pretty reasonable at around 680 grams.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MrXC
    Look for a Geax Blade 225. I've ridden it the Mutano 2.4 and the Weirwolf 2.5 rigid on east coast rocks and roots and its cushier than the other two, largely because I believe it has more air volume and is actually a bigger tire than the Mutano. Also the weight is pretty reasonable at around 680 grams.
    I just recently got my first SS and it came with some IBC Kujo DH tires that weighed in at 1150g apiece. After my first ride, which had quite a bit of climbing to it, I decided the heavy tires have got to go and lost 2 lbs by switching out to some Geax Sturdy 225's which are great tires at 670g apiece for Kevlar bead. I've been running the 2.1 Sturdy tires on my other bike and been loving them. The Sturdy 225's are as big as many 2.35 or 2.4 tires and are great tires that are resistant to flats and wear like iron.

bon vivant
    Mar 2004
    I've been liking my Ritchey Motovader 2.6es. Only issue is that they brush my chainstays on hard turns when the wheel is flexed. Otherwise, they float over ouchy stuff, hook up nicely on the climbey stuff, and roll pretty fast on the hard, black stuff. My next set of shoes will be the exact, same rubber, but in 2.4 inch.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    No need to go to DH tires, There are plenty of high volume tires in the 600-950g range. Look at any of the tires on my Tire Site with a volume index above 24.0 or so.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Idea! Runnin' 2005 Specialized Adrenaline D2 Pro's

Hey just adding my bit to the general discussion...

I recently put on 2005 Specialized Adrenaline D2 Pro's 26x2.2. I put them on with Stan's No-tubes, on WTB Speedisc rims laced to my King hubs. First, they sealed up really really nicely, with very good looking sidewall integrity. They also clearly have the girth of 2.1-2.2's and running at 39-40psi is perfect for me. (note: I'm 200lbs riding an On-One with a Marzocchi Marathon up front...)

The traction to date has been pretty dog gone nice! They roll really really smoothly, in fact I think they are one of the fastest tires I've been on, but that's pretty limited experience. The center knobs seem to be the key on this. I also rode when it was still pretty damp, and slightly muddy at time on our trails. They didn't pack up much at all, and seemed to dig in when I needed it. Also, we've got a lot of leaves covering the ground now, and I really don't get much slipping, even in corners, so that's pretty good too... All in all, I really like these tires. I'm going to give them at least another half dozen to a dozen rides before I'll put in my final verdict.

Thanks for listening... hope this information helps.
    Tony.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Tires for Singlespeed???
    He, he... Being a weight wennie, are these 600+ gr tire quotes scaring you? They are for me.

I'm just getting into the SS thing myself but I plan to slap on a set of Python Airlights when I get a full season at it next year. Excellent all round tire (reverse the front), *very* comfy at 30-32 psi, 500'ish grams, and responds to sealant well (on taped VXC rims).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fritZman
    He, he... Being a weight wennie, are these 600+ gr tire quotes scaring you? They are for me.

I'm just getting into the SS thing myself but I plan to slap on a set of Python Airlights when I get a full season at it next year. Excellent all round tire (reverse the front), *very* comfy at 30-32 psi, 500'ish grams, and responds to sealant well (on taped VXC rims).

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Weight Weenies always make me chuckle! Not because I think they are wrong or wierd or anything, just because I am just so far away from being able to be one of them!!! I'm 6 ft tall and check in at 200 lbs dry, so basically I sweat more than the150-200 g that they fuss over in just 1/2 of one good ride!!! <GRIN>

Well, As I mentioned I'm riding on some 730g each Specialized tires and I've just been stoked with how smooth and fast they seem to roll. Certainly other companies make tires that roll faster, and some slower... Heck, I was stunned on my road bike this year when I switched to 140 psi capable tires and actually started running 130psi +!!!! It was like I putting a rocket booser under my saddle!!!

Either way, it's all about spinning along through the world on a couple of round thingies!
    Rock-n-Ride Baby!
    Tony...
    Last edited by sengert; 11-10-2004 at 10:08 PM. Reason: drunken mispellings!!!

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    FWIW, I still like the Team Control/Team Edition 2.0's as a front tire. I stocked up on them a couple years back. They really hook up in the loose stuff, light, and roll reasonably well in everything but sticky, clay type mud. I run them at about 34psi.

mtbr member
    I'm not much lighter than you at ~185 lbs.

I guess SSing has different purposes for different riders. For me the interest is in the challenge/power required, and the flickability of an extremely light ride.

Quote Originally Posted by sengert
    HAHAHAHA!!!!

Weight Weenies always make me chuckle! Not because I think they are wrong or wierd or anything, just because I am just so far away from being able to be one of them!!! I'm 6 ft tall and check in at 200 lbs dry, so basically I sweat more than the150-200 g that they fuss over in just 1/2 of one good ride!!! <GRIN>

Well, As I mentioned I'm riding on some 730g each Specialized tires and I've just been stoked with how smooth and fast they seem to roll. Certainly other companies make tires that roll faster, and some slower... Heck, I was stunned on my road bike this year when I switched to 140 psi capable tires and actually started running 130psi +!!!! It was like I putting a rocket booser under my saddle!!!

Either way, it's all about spinning along through the world on a couple of round thingies!
    Rock-n-Ride Baby!
    Tony...

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanB
    Currently on Continental Diesel 2.5s - limited testing so far but first impressions very good. Nice low pressures easily possible without pinch risk, giving lots of grip and plenty of cush. Only struggling in very gloopy mud, but what doesn't, apart from mud tyres and I've never been bothered about swapping tyres too much - conditions are too mixed here to make it worthwhile.
    Diesels are nice. I've been runnning one out back for a month or so now, and am quite pleased. I raced it at 24 Hrs of Moab and it held up nice, too. Mine's set up tubeless (with a 2.7 Maxxis up front), and I can run it stupid low without any risk of doing any damage. That, and the wire bead model is really cheap.

Now...about this weight weenie crap. Give it up! Learn to turn a 1200 g 2.7" as fast as the guy next to you can turn a 400 g 1.9, and think of how much faster than him you'll be when you actually put skinny tires on your bike. I've been telling myself this for ages, but can't seem to take the big ones off... Still - call it training and quit yer beetchin'.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

bigger is better

Mine SS came stock with the Mutano raptor 2.4 and I like them, but I would like to go bigger.

As for weight, screw the worry and just ride. I'm a clyde and I have a lot more to carry around and worry about then the weight of a tire.

Hell, like someone else said, think of it as training.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Light Tires

Quote Originally Posted by fritZman

Trust me. If light tires would work for me I'd ride them in a heartbeat. However, the lower amount of traction I've experienced with the ones I've tried as well as the fact that they don't last very long before the tread is gone or before the sidewall gets torn on the rocks around here make them a very unattractive option. I can't afford to be replacing a tire after a couple of months of riding. My Sturdy's have been on the bike for months and the rear tire is just getting to the point that I'm going to have to replace it before too long. For those of us without unlimited budgets that ride on really rough terrain with lots of rocks and sharp things like Manzanilla stumps that can really tear into a tire (or a rider for that matter), lightweight tires aren't an option other to switch into them on race day.