Tires - Nevegal or Ignitor? What size?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Tires - Nevegal or Ignitor? What size?

I am about to finish the build on my first 29er ever, second single speed. I ride mostly up and down packed to sort of loose dirt, muddy when it rains. I need a grippier tire for sure but want something that isn't beefcakes cause I have to climb with it too.

I have been told the Nevegal is good, but it seems a little heavy - may be worth the weight penalty.

Also saw good reviews on the Ignitor and Ardent. These also come in different size. Is it best to go wider when possible, or run different widths front and rear.

I know this has probably been addressed thousands of times, but I have searched and haven't had much luck. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I've run nevegals on my 26 geared bike front and rear for a while now. I run the 2.35 up front and a 2.1 in the rear, both tubeless. Great all around tire. climbs well. Doesn't wash out easily. I have the ignitors on the front and rear of my monocog right now. For a rear tire, it is okay. I wish I had more in the front. It doesn't inspire confidence on descents and I have to keep the psi high to keep from hitting my rims. I really like the nevegal and I have been thinking of putting it on my 29er as a rear with something huge up front. Overall, if you are going to hit anything loose, I would go nevs.

My spoon is too big!
    My bike came with Ignitors, and they seem to be a fairly good all-around tire. Good traction in most conditions, not too heavy, overall not bad.

That said, as soon as they wear out, I'll be replacing them with larger Nevgals or Rampages. Maybe one of each. Since it's a rigid bike, I'd like a little more volume in the tires.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

mtbr member
    I just split the sidewall on my 29'ers rear tire, which was a Nevegal 2.2 Stick-E. I put a Ignitor 2.1 on to try. I have 35 miles or so on the Ignitor. I can tell it pedals slightly easier, and the grip is good, but not like the Nevegal. The Nevegal is much better on wet roots/rocks. I will switch back when I find a Nevegal on sale. Probably keep the Ignitor for summer use. For the front tire try a Panaracer Rampage in 2.35.
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

mtbr member
    I have only tried the 2.1 Nevegals on a geared bike. No doubt they are heavy, but im thinking they will provide a better , more comfortable ride over the ignitors. Suggest u run some fat Nevegals

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Nevegals

It seems heavier riders love the Nevegals. I weigh 140 and I didn't like it much. I prefer the Rampage over it. The Rampage is still heavier and slower than some other options. The Ignitor works well in the rear for me.

I've come to the the conclusion that us lighter folk have slightly different tire needs than the 200 lb guys.

Life is Go0d!
    The Ignitor only comes in 2.1.. which sucks.. I wish there were a wider version. I have no issues with them, other than that. Look at the WTB Weirwolf 2.5 , thats what I will be replacing my Ignitors with, when they wear out.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

meow meow
    i like my igntors on my 26'' geared bike. roll fast and have enough grip for the new england trails i ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well, with winter around the corner I ended up going with the Panaracer Rampage - read some good reviews on it, got a fair price from Price Point. Seems to be a slightly better/lighter version of the venegal but I realize that is all up to debate. Will opt for a lighter/racier tire in the spring/summer, but with the rain and mud wanted something with some traction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmeyer11
    Well, with winter around the corner I ended up going with the Panaracer Rampage - read some good reviews on it, got a fair price from Price Point. Seems to be a slightly better/lighter version of the venegal but I realize that is all up to debate. Will opt for a lighter/racier tire in the spring/summer, but with the rain and mud wanted something with some traction.
    i went from Ignitors (stock on the Monocog Flight) to Rampages; then a clearance issue after a cog swap sent me back to the Ignitor in the rear and the difference was amazing - the Ignitor had much better grip for climbing and better interface-with-the-ground feeling in the fast and flowy stuff....still the Rampage is better in the front esp in the rocks...

turns out to be a great feeling combo: 2.1 Ignitor rear, 2.35 Rampage front; don't think i really need any bigger front (unless i lose my mind and get a rigid fork )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tires - Nevegal or Ignitor?  What size?-09_21_09-117.jpg  

Last edited by jsord; 11-12-2009 at 06:30 PM.
    I'm not on a mission to beat the crap out of myself and everyone else; it just comes naturally with the single speed

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Are you saying you like the ignitor in the rear better? Have you tried an Ardent up front ever? I was also contemplating going with Ignitor rear / Ardent Front - seemed like a good combo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nevegal kevlar bead tires really aren't that heavy. They're toward the top of the middle of the pack. They have excellent traction in all conditions. My biggest knock against them, though, is they roll quite slow.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Nevegal kevlar bead tires really aren't that heavy. They're toward the top of the middle of the pack. They have excellent traction in all conditions. My biggest knock against them, though, is they roll quite slow.
    Mine are over 800g which I consider heavy. They are my tire of choice for Winter, and I have raced one up front successfully though.
    However last time I was going to run a Nevegal up front, I ended up going with an Ignitor. It didn't seem to have the grip anymore no matter how low I put the pressure. Knobs still look pretty good, so I wonder if they have a short wear period before they are shot?

mtbr member
    Ignitors have become my favorite all around tire of choice. I ran a 2.55 Weirwolf up front for a while. It gripped well and provided good bump absorption but I found it to be kind of slow steering.

Members who have read this thread: 0