Which Tires on my Rigid?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Which Tires on my Rigid?

Don't know if I should put this here or in the Wheels and Tires forum, but since rigid SS has slightly different requirements, thought I'll post here.

I live in a country where I know no other 29er rider. That means I have to import all my tires as no LBS will stock up any tires for a lone rider. However, I also do not want to pay $40 shipping for a $30 tire.

So over the months, as I have accumulated some parts, I've included the occasional tire in the shipment. These are the tires I have now:

2.2 Kenda Nevegal x2
    2.2 Kenda SB8 x2
    2.25 Maxxis Ardent x1
    2.55 WTB Weirwolf LT x2

The trails here are usually loose over hardpack, rock beds, and broken asphalt. Tropical country, so it rains occassionally during dry season and rains daily during wet.

I currently have F/R Nevegal/SB8 set up, but found the SB8 too slippery on wet portions of the trail, especially when climbing. I've read that the Ardent and Weirwolf LT don't do too well as rear tires but have low rolling resistence like the SB8 that I like on the rear.

Any opinions which tires go where, and why? And any recommendations for my next shipment?
    Last edited by hchchch; 04-22-2010 at 07:32 AM.

mtbr member
    You've got a decent selection of tyres there, what don't you like about them? You explained the SB8 and that's a common knowledge thing about them - no liky wet, but you didn't mention the others. As to the Ardent not being a good rear where did you read that? I find it's an excellent rear tyre and if you go for the 2.4" from what I've read and seen it has deeped knobs and much beffier casing. I'd highly recomend the 2.4" Ardent as a def need to tr tyre, especially if you're on a rigid.

I love my Ardent 2.25" and would love to try the 2.4" on my rigid, but can't justify poping for it right now since I already have about 20 tyres on hand - Crossmark X2, Ignitor X2, Nano X2, WW LT, Rampage, Nevegal, Ardent, Racing Ralph, Michelin XC A/T X4, MudX, Mtn.King X2, Bonti XR. Looking to try out the Michelin XC A/T's once our rainy season get full underway.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29 X 2.40 ????

Good volume and light......

nothing to see here
    +1 for the Ralph, but I run 2.4 front and 2.25 rear.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    If he thinks the SB8s are slippery and not good in the wet, if he takes your advice he'll have another tyre to add to the list - RR work in dry and are $hit in anything wet, no grip what so ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    +1 for the Ralph, but I run 2.4 front and 2.25 rear.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Maxxis Ignitors are pretty versatile.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    sb8's are great for anything hardpack. They're ok in damp soil, but mud isnt the best i would imagine... however i cant remember having any real issues with them. They roll extremely fast, which is why i ride them.

mtbr member
    That Wierwolf is the only way to go for the front of a rigid bike. Around here we call it the full suspension tire. I run it at about 18-20lbs for max comfort and efficiency.

mtbr member
    I have a suggestion, how do you feel about changing tires for either dry or wet seasons? If you are willing to do that, here are my suggestions with the tires you have:

Dry season:
    Front: Weirwolf
    Rear: Weirwolf or SB8

I like the WW for the added volume, but if your trails are smooth, the SB8 would work too.

Wet season:
    Front: Nevegal
    Rear: Ardent or Nevegal

Good luck!
    Mark

mtbr member
    If only they'd offer them up in a higher volume version, like say 2.4" or some such. I find as an all around tyre they have to be the best except they lack the volume if you ride rigid. I liked mine even more after I did some trimming of the knobs, improved their ability in mud and didn't seem to have any detrement on dry stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Maxxis Ignitors are pretty versatile.

mtbr member
    Ride & Smile

Dual Squishy...
    Go grab yerself a Mt. King 2.4 and toss it on the back. Then take your Weirwolf and pitch it up front. Killer combo...

Plus, big enough to run lower PSI (assuming tubeless) and give yerself a good 1" of suspension.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions. The dry season has just arrived, so I'm kinda late changing out the SB8. But despite no rain, I still lose traction after water crossings, especially on rock gardens.

Does the WW LT do well wet at the rear? Or will the Ardent do a better job with traction? Trails here are made for truck and foot traffic, so the trails are layered with orange to grapefruit size rocks, exposed with no gravel or sand coverings. So I'm slipping on the surfaces with wet SB8, but the nevegal sticks like glue in front. That's why I think I need knobs at the rear.

However, to complicate things, to get to these mountain trails I would have to ride 5 - 15 miles, depending on location, up asphalt roads to the trailhead. That's why I opted for SB8 for the rear. And therefore the choice of Ardent and WW LT as replacements for SB8.

Oh, and I run tubeless, so changing out tires for the trail will be a chore.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    As I thinkI stated, Maxxis tyres work PHENOMINALLY it the wet, the compound is really suited to rocks wheteher dry or wet - while visiting CO, I rode a trail that criss crossed a stream and had rocks on entrance and exit, I had no issues what so ever with traction coming out on my Crossmark on the rear, my friend even commented on it since he was having to "muscle" his ride out and over the rocks with his wet Big Bettys

I'd suggest any one of the Maxxis line, Ardent, Ignitor or Crossmark, but would more lean towards a nice high volume 2.4" Ardent (if it'll fit in your frame) with matching one up front.

Members who have read this thread: 0