Tires for my 1st real SS ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Tires for my 1st real SS ride

Got sucked into the SS thing last summer. Used an old GT Karakorum convert for quite a few trail rides. Now I am building up a '04 Kona Explosif in a rigid SS format. Pretty stoked about this, got the King headset waiting on my desk for the frame to come in. Anyways, back to the original question...

Tires, because I am going to be running the rigid styles I would like a large volume tire that will still roll quick enough to race XC. My thoughts were Michelin Hot S (I'm running Michi's on my DH race bike, so I'd like to keep the consistent tread pattern as the comp 24.1) , or Specialized S works Roll-X.

Anyone else have any recommendations???

Also, anyone have any tips for racing XC on an SS. I am actually more focused on DH racing but will do the odd XC race early in the season.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. When I have the ride built up you can bet I'll post some pics...

Simon

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguysmiling
    Got sucked into the SS thing last summer. Used an old GT Karakorum convert for quite a few trail rides. Now I am building up a '04 Kona Explosif in a rigid SS format. Pretty stoked about this, got the King headset waiting on my desk for the frame to come in. Anyways, back to the original question...

Tires, because I am going to be running the rigid styles I would like a large volume tire that will still roll quick enough to race XC. My thoughts were Michelin Hot S (I'm running Michi's on my DH race bike, so I'd like to keep the consistent tread pattern as the comp 24.1) , or Specialized S works Roll-X.

Also, anyone have any tips for racing XC on an SS. I am actually more focused on DH racing but will do the odd XC race early in the season.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. When I have the ride built up you can bet I'll post some pics...

Simon
    The Hots should work fine. Use a 2.5 front and 2.2 rear.

As for racing XC on a SS: Pedal fast and pass everybody!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

semi-evolved simian
    No real tire advice from me but you might like to know what fits in the back of the Explosif. Probably not as important as the front tire though. Anyway, I'm running Geax Blades 2.25s and they fit with just enough mud clearance left over. Veelz is running the Geax Sturdy in the back of his I think. Anyway, the Geax in that size is a big tire volume-wise and nice and cushy.

Quote Originally Posted by fatguysmiling

Simon