Tires for front range rigid 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tires for front range rigid 29er?

I have a monocog flight 29er that I am running as my primary bike this season. Living on the CO front range, I ride a lot of loose over hardpack. I like tough climbs and technical anything. I was looking into the idea of a high volume tire in the front to get rid of some of the 'jackhammer' of the rigid. I've considered the Weirwolf but I've read some posts that claim the 2.55 is an exaggeration. Also, I'm not super confident so I don't want to lose too much bite in the front. For the rear, I'm thinking either small block 8 or something else smaller and faster that won't wash out in the turns.

What are your experiences with tires?

Running ignitors front and rear right now. Pretty much hate the front. Rear is 'meh.'

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Panaracer Rampage?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Rampage up front and Geax Saguaro in the rear, that combo worked great for both the Flight and Monocog when riding rigid.

I have red hair
    I'm running a Conti MK 2.4 front/Race King 2.2 rear, which is my favorite tire combo lately. I don't notice that the MK rolls too poorly, but that could be because I offset that with the Race King in the rear. I too ride a lot off loose over hardpack with occasional sandy sections, and the MK hooks up like no other tire i've ridden
    "I don't believe in brakes, all they do is slow you down"

Enki loves you
    I have race kings ( im in the uk ) i like them in soft dirt but not on hard pack as they feel squirmy, also you need to pump them up well to get the best from them, 35 psi + i have found. My fave tyres so far have been irc mythos 2's on my 29er, they seem to ride well every where apart from mud and work well as low as 20 psi, although at that psi you have to pick good lines. Very comfy though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

So.CO

I liked the Rampage pretty well in the front. It is sort of slow, it seems. I didn't particularly like the Ardent, especially in the rear. Ignitor works good (rear) for me, wears fast though. Right now I'm running a Nanoraptor rear and Weirwolf front. As long as it's not muddy these work great for CO, they roll really well too. I run 'em all tubeless and I'm rigid also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Racing Ralph 2.4. Can't beat the cush and light.

!Vamos, flaco!
    I live in Longmont and have enjoyed a Panaracer Rampage up front.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Abby Normal
    Another front ranger here. Seems like investing in a tubeless setup is the way to go for a rigid ss 29er? I've got a ss KM with the stock Exiwolf 2.3's and Delgado rims, gotten a few pinch flats running at a comfy psi. Thinking tubeless and maybe a 2.5 up front might be just right.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Although I live in Va we do have rocks and in the mtns a lot of loose gravelly rock in places.
    I've been running the Weirwolf LT 2.55 in front and really like it, fully rigid on a 29'er. I'm using a Crossmark in the rear. The Continental Mountain King 2.4 is much more aggressive and measures on the small side but a nice tire.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jonzinmj
    ...I ride a lot of loose over hardpack. I like tough climbs and technical anything. I was looking into the idea of a high volume tire in the front to get rid of some of the 'jackhammer' of the rigid. I've considered the Weirwolf but I've read some posts that claim the 2.55 is an exaggeration. Also, I'm not super confident so I don't want to lose too much bite in the front. For the rear, I'm thinking either small block 8 or something else smaller and faster that won't wash out in the turns.

Similar situation here (but in Norcal)...Haro Mary 29er in similar terrain and running Nevegal 29x2.2 F/R that came on the bike. Reversed the rear tire and it helps climbing alot this way, but looking for same or a bit more volume to help the ride and occasional pinch flats. Plenty of roots and rocks around here too. Don't want to run tubeless. The Panaracer Rampage, Geax Saguaro, and WW 2.55 all have me interested.....looking for faster rolling but with good traction and volume. I run same tires all year round so they need to handle some mud and wet tall grass too.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 11-11-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    WWLT front and back on my rigid single... very happy, the 2.5 is an exageration but it is roughly the same width as a Panaracer Rampage. I have also used the Rampage on my FS bike but prefer the WWLT it is a bit faster and seems to work better with lower pressures.

old enough to know better

Rampage

I live on the Front Range and ride Rampages tubeless at 22 or 23 psi on my rigid SS. I've ridden on Racing Ralphs, but have a hard time trusting their thin side walls on really rocky trails. Also, I've used Small Block 8s - they are nice, but have less volume the Rampages.

Off the back...
    We have conditions similar to the CO front range [although nothing quite as smooth as Buff Creek], and I'm liking the WTB Stout for full rigid. I know it's been discontinued, but if you see some on closeout, consider trying them. If Conti ever comes out with a RQ 2.4 in 700C, I'm buying them.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm going to throw in the Dissent or Kodiak 2.5...can't beat the volume. They're only like double the weight of the Rampage...no biggie.

mtbr member
    same bike here, in So Cal conditions - i like the Rampage in the front (around 20 lbs); the Ignitor is fine in the rear for me (30-35)
    I'm not on a mission to beat the crap out of myself and everyone else; it just comes naturally with the single speed

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a monocog flight 29er that I am running as my primary bike this season. Living on the CO front range, I ride a lot of loose over hardpack. I like tough climbs and technical anything. I was looking into the idea of a high volume tire in the front to get rid of some of the 'jackhammer' of the rigid. I've considered the Weirwolf but I've read some posts that claim the 2.55 is an exaggeration. Also, I'm not super confident so I don't want to lose too much bite in the front. For the rear, I'm thinking either small block 8 or something else smaller and faster that won't wash out in the turns.

Running ignitors front and rear right now. Pretty much hate the front. Rear is 'meh.'
    why dont you just throw gears on it, sit and spin, great for traction. and a suspension fork will help that "jackhammer" issue nicely, it's why they made em in the first place, dumbo.
    damn, coloradoans are so stupid sometimes. ;0

p.s. you suck
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Well shucks, out here in Colorady, we haven't heard of no 'gears.' I must be livin under a rawk. You think those people with gears wear them 'undergarments' I been hearin about?

On a more serious note. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll be trying some different stuff out.

trail rat
    You think those people with gears wear them 'undergarments' I been hearin about?
    Depends.............

Front - WW255lt, Rampage, Ardent 2.25 (the 2.4 will rawk and roul up front), MK2.4

Rear - Saguaro, Rampage, Ardent 2.25
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Members who have read this thread: 0