mtbr member

Tire Widths for Front and Rear 29er SS

A buddy of mine uses different tire widths for front and the rear...do you use the wider tire for the front or rear??

I have a GF RIG SS with the Bontrager tires and would like to change..

Any help on this or recomendations would be great.

Thanks
    Jason

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Hi ! If you're riding a rigid fork (highly recommended), a wider/higher volume tire up front will have it's benefits. Also, some riders use a different type of tread design for each tire. Consider going tubeless for low pressure peace of mind.
    For a suspension fork, you might want to try either, wider up front or similar back and front, before deciding which works better for your trails.
    In my case, i'm riding my steel rigid SS 29er with both tires of the same size. My trails allow me to, plus some body english and speed control in the chattery sections. In the process, i save several spinning grams by keeping a lighter low pressure (running tubeless) front tire, and, this makes the big wheels easier to spin up.
    Good luck !
    Simple, not easy.

mtbr member
    Yea thanks man...I am riding tubeless...its awesome...

mtbr member
    What kind a gears do you run?.. I am running 32t and 18t which works well for most of trails in the Dallas area...there is one trail though that requires a 20t or 22t which I would have to re-adjust my ecentric bottom bracket and loosen the chain which I have not figured out yet...

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    There are other threads (not in SS) and the general consensus is that most run a larger front and narrower rear. The theory is that the rear can sort of cut down into the soil and get traction to drive with whereas the front needs to float since it is generally more laid over and the front actually travels a longer path and digging in would make it harder to turn, etc.

Anyway, I run most of my bikes with larger front. On a single speed full rigid I go way larger on the front for the extra cush. On a hardtail ss I would generally run different tread patterns front and rear, but the tires might be similar in size or the front slightly larger. It depends on the weather and the course.

Gearing is the same way, it depends on the weather and the course. I run from 32-18 to 34-22 depending on all the above. Usually 32-19 or 20 for most situations around here..

I have ridden in the Fort Worth area once (my sister lives there) and you guys have rolling hills and if you are in good shape I would say a 32-18 or 32-19 would handle most of what I saw there.

mtbr member
    Thanks... that's some great advice...that makes alot of sense for the front tire being wider. I am really looking for an all around tire and would not be changing them much for different weather or trail conditions.

I am doing pretty good with 32-18 set up...there is not enough super steep trails or long climbs to really change anything. There is one trail that kicks my tail everytime you need to try next time your here called Big Cedar check out the DORBA website for more info...you need to change gearing on that ...I get some walking in...

Thanks again for tire advice,,,,

Keep Rollin

Phatt Tire Luva'
    I run a 32-20 out in Oregon/Washington area... had been using a 2.4 Ardent upfront with a 2.1 Ignitor on the rear for the summer. Switched out the 2.1 rear for another 2.4 Ardent a few months ago for the winter - WOW! At least for me there is No Doubt another conditioning adjustment that took place when I switched - but now that my body is starting to readjust to the bigger tire out back... can't really see switching back to the 2.1 on the rear. I feel the 2.4 outperforms in almost all aspects.
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

mtbr member
    Yea i have busted my tail a couple of times leaning over loosing traction and I know a wider tire would work better. I have 2.1 Bontrager Jones on there now...its great for the straights but I like to going hard in the corners...more side wall traction would be nice to...

I am sure a 2.4 is a workout..Can you lean over good on those tires? I am not sure if those will fit ...

Thanks for posting
    Jason

Did I catch a niner+?
    I run the same size front/rear and want a lot of grip in the rear also for the big hills. I also like a larger tire rear to give a bit of cush there to.

When I ran gears I ran a larger front with a small rear but I do not like the skid effect this can give with a lower tread.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Combat Wombat
    I run a Rampage 2.35 up front and a Suguaro 2.2 on the back. Although the primary reason I run a smaller tire on the back is because a much larger tire fits on the front than the back. I originally tried a Rampage on both ends, but it just barely cleared the seat stays and I really mean barely.

mtbr member
    Thanks....... thats something to consider..

Members who have read this thread: 0