mtbr member

Tire width if you are running suspension?

I'm going to take advantage of some free shipping and price matching, and want to make sure I'm not off base with my size selection.

It's an Inbred with Manitou Black fork. I'm thinking a 2.5" Nokian in the back and 2.3" Nokian in the front. Does this seem reasonable; go bigger or smaller? This will be an all-conditions, non-racing, burly, fun rig.

I have 2.1" Nokians on my gearie and have been very pleased with them, thus the reason for me wanting to go with Nokian. Plus I have Finnish friends so I'll throw some revenue their way!

Thanks for your input!
    Ventana El Rey - 3x9
    Schwinn High Plains w/ drop bars - 3x8
    Surly Ogre - Alfine 8/SS

I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED

Good job! Nokian......

Quote Originally Posted by zanq
    I'm going to take advantage of some free shipping and price matching, and want to make sure I'm not off base with my size selection.

It's an Inbred with Manitou Black fork. I'm thinking a 2.5" Nokian in the back and 2.3" Nokian in the front. Does this seem reasonable; go bigger or smaller? This will be an all-conditions, non-racing, burly, fun rig.

I have 2.1" Nokians on my gearie and have been very pleased with them, thus the reason for me wanting to go with Nokian. Plus I have Finnish friends so I'll throw some revenue their way!

Thanks for your input!
    2.0 lites are alright!

Veni Vidi Vici.
    "As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can."
    -- Julius Caesar

i worship Mr T

Thanks for your input!
    hutchinson python 2.1s on my surly 1x1 with an '00 Marz Z-1 bomber seem to work well for rme.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    I run Maxxis Ignitors UST 1.9s on mine.

Neg reppers r my biatches

Thanks for your input!
    with suspension, Schwalbe Big Jim UST 2.25 front, Big Jim UST 2.1 rear.

from the east

Whoa!

If it's fun you're after, the bigger the better. A rule I use, though, is to keep 'em equal, or bigger in the front. The way I see it, a bigger tire is more cushy, but also more tractiony, and I always want more traction in my front wheel. If you have a burly tire in the back and a wimpy tire in the front (not to say a 2.3 Nokian is wimpy...), your bike handles funny, with the front end wanting to wash out long before the rear tire is even sweating it.

Sounds like a fun bike!

eric.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle Rider
    If it's fun you're after, the bigger the better. A rule I use, though, is to keep 'em equal, or bigger in the front. The way I see it, a bigger tire is more cushy, but also more tractiony, and I always want more traction in my front wheel. If you have a burly tire in the back and a wimpy tire in the front (not to say a 2.3 Nokian is wimpy...), your bike handles funny, with the front end wanting to wash out long before the rear tire is even sweating it.

Sounds like a fun bike!

eric.
    You raise an interesting point (front tire washing before the rear). That would make this thing look like a dirt bike!
    Ventana El Rey - 3x9
    Schwinn High Plains w/ drop bars - 3x8
    Surly Ogre - Alfine 8/SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle Rider

Sounds like a fun bike!

eric.
    I subscribe to the same theory. My Surly 1x1 with RockShox SID Race has Kenda Cortez 2.4 (front) and Nevegal 2.35 (rear) tires w/Stan's NoTubes. They are not that heavy, but climb like crazy and even roll well on the flats. Lots 'o fun!

mtbr member

Smile

[QUOTE=zanq]I'm going to take advantage of some free shipping and price matching, and want to make sure I'm not off base with my size selection.

Thanks for your input![/QUOTE why not a 3.0 or a 2.6 the way i feel the more rubber on the trail the better thats what i have on my bike ]
    I didnt do it

don't try this at home
    my favorite combo right now is the 2.5 weirwolf in front and a 2.4 mutano in back. nice fat, cushy tires with very good grip. at least in my neck of the woods.

Drinkin' Buddy

As big as you can fit

I have a Gazzi Jr (2.6) on the front with a Marz Marathon 105 fork and either a 2.25 blade or a 2.3 NBX (the Blade is actually bigger) in the back depending on the trail conditions (Very Muddy=Blade, Less muddy=NBX). Run as big as you are comfortable with. Here the trails have lots of roots with lots of log stacks and are quite twisty, so I like as big a tire as possible to get as much traction as possible.
    Got Beer?

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    my favorite combo right now is the 2.5 weirwolf in front and a 2.4 mutano in back.
    That's the exact combo I am getting ready to run (have had a Weirwolf 2.5 up front for a while now, run one on my FR bike too); it looks to be the shiznit!

ali'i hua

the fatter the better

no- not relating to my choice in women

seriously-
    2.5 motoraptor on the front of the tituSS
    2.2 exiwolf on the 29er (nearly the biggest you can get)
    2.4 wierwolf on the dean gearie.

got some fatter maxxis mobsters lying around that i think might do quite nicely. and after looking at the rest of everyone's answers, Im starting to rethink the 2.1's that im running on the back of all those bikes. but the traction that comes from a veloci rear is oh-so-hard to beat (for me at least)