Tire Time- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire Time

Yeet so hard

Tire Time

I just picked up my new Dawes Deadeye last thursday, and finally got a chance to get it onto trails yesterday. 5 minutes into my ride something put the biggest hole into the WTB nanoraptors that i have ever seen. no replacement tubes b/c my other bike is a 26" so i hiked out and headed home. plus they have no traction in conditions other than bone dry.
    so... I am looking for some new tires. Suggestions?

Apr 2007
    When asking for tire suggestions, it's helpful if you say what kind of trails you ride, your riding style, weather conditions, etc. i.e. I wouldn't give the same suggestion for a guy out in AZ and another in the wet lands aka PNW.

Yeet so hard
    oh sorry...
    New York's rooty dirt mainly, rock gardens ocassionally

CB2
    Jam Econo
    What kind of rider are you, and how big are you? Do you want to play on the rocks or are you more interested in speed?
    In the off season in New England I'll often run burlier tires such as Kenda Nevegals. Sometimes I mix a Nevegal up front with an Ignitor in the back. I'll have my bike set up like this from November to March.
    From March to November I want to go faster and will gradually work my way to more minimal, go fast tires, and back to more aggressive ones as the conditions dictate.

Yeet so hard
    I am 6'3" and 210lbs I ride as often as possible and would say am intermediate. I want to be able to go fast while still holding the ground and not get flats!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Something like a Maxxis Ardent might be good for you. Pretty fast rolling, not too heavy and great hook up. I've tried both the 2.25", and 2.4". I personally like the 2.25" better as the 2.4" seems to a have a giant rubber mallet affect on my hands (I'm 135lbs). The 2.4" has a very aggressive bite.

mtbr member
    I have a Bullseye myself, I found the Nano's were pretty decent until things got soaking wet, too bad about the hole! I ended up with a set of kevlar bead Maxxis Crossmarks, so far I'm really liking those. They still roll fast like the Nano's did, but have a little better hookup and clear out mud a lot better. It's still a hardpack tire though, lightweight and fast, not a super-knobby if that's what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nano has plenty of traction, especially for a rear tire. They feel a tad sketchy between the center knobs and side knobs. Give a 2.3 WTB Exiwolf a try!

Apr 2007
    I'm on Rampages front and Saguaro's rear. I don't do wet riding here, so don't know how it will do in the slosh, but dry, rocky, rooty - they do great.

Also, I'd recommend trying split tube ghetto tubeless.

I like turtles
    Keep in mind that you can use a 26" tube for your 29er if you are in a pinch - lots of people do this anyway to save a little weight. I run 2.3 WTB Exis and love them, seem to work well for me in similar east coast terrain however I am quite a bit lighter than you.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    Something like a Maxxis Ardent might be good for you. Pretty fast rolling, not too heavy and great hook up. I've tried both the 2.25", and 2.4". I personally like the 2.25" better as the 2.4" seems to a have a giant rubber mallet affect on my hands (I'm 135lbs). The 2.4" has a very aggressive bite.
    i used to ride Ritchey Speedmax's all year back there (except for winter when i ran studs).
    I wish they had SB8's back then. I've been pretty much sold on those for the past 5 years.