Tire sizing question...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Tire sizing question...

So I'm finishing up my SS conversion on my old 26er and am down to the last piece...tires. It's full rigid, so from what I've read, I want the widest tire I can fit for a little extra cushioning. The question is this...how do I know how wide I can go? Is it simply trial and error? Or as easy and grabbing a ruler and doing some measuring?

The bike came with Mavic 236 rims and 1.95 tires. Since this is an experiment to see how I like the SS thing, I have no plans for new rims, but the tires are definitely worn out and must go, so I may as well get as big as I can, right?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Yep, you can measure your fork and frame to see what room you have and then compare against the actual tire measurements from this site. Many tire sizes quoted by the manufacturer are overstated.

A bigger tire up front will make the most difference, and rigid forks usually have more room than the frame. 2.1 rear is probably a good start, 2.3 is really nice for the front if you can fit it

There are some disclaimers though. Every tire has a different profile so you can't know for certain exactly where to measure. Some tires have a wider casing than tread so the widest point is halfway up the tire; others have large tread blocks that stick out past the casing. This difference is compounded by the facts that wider tires are often taller as well and that frames usually get narrower as you move further towards the bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the reply and the link! I'll be getting out the ruler tonight and seeing what will fit. Thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0