Tire Question?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Tire Question?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    11

    Tire Question?

    Hey all just had a quick question and I'm looking for recomendations. I'm currently running some 2.1 mythos tires on my 1x1 and I think it's time for some new tread. I'm thinking about going with the WTB Weirwolf tire in a 2.3 or 2.5. I currently have an old Marzocchi Superfly fork but may wil probably start switch between it and the rigid fork. Anyways I'm just looking for some good advise. I'm riding mostly in No. VA and MD. Thanks

  2. #2
    KgB
    KgB is offline
    SNGLSPD
    Reputation: KgB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,034

    how the hell should we know

    what you should do.lots of factors to consider.
    BTW,I have a weirwolf 2.5 on the way.
    I've been inside too long.

  3. #3
    Witty McWitterson
    Reputation: ~martini~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,024
    Fatter is always better. Always. Go 2.5 front and 2.3 rear.
    Just a regular guy.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by KgB
    what you should do.lots of factors to consider.
    BTW,I have a weirwolf 2.5 on the way.

    Thanks for the warm welcome to the SS forum.

    Nice FJ40!

  5. #5
    Fat Boy Deluxe
    Reputation: DmofoT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by biker10
    Hey all just had a quick question and I'm looking for recomendations. I'm currently running some 2.1 mythos tires on my 1x1 and I think it's time for some new tread. I'm thinking about going with the WTB Weirwolf tire in a 2.3 or 2.5. I currently have an old Marzocchi Superfly fork but may wil probably start switch between it and the rigid fork. Anyways I'm just looking for some good advise. I'm riding mostly in No. VA and MD. Thanks

    Joe, you might also try reading this thread : http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=9890 : it was posted in the VA/DC/MD regional board.

    Personally I think the 2.4 WTB MutanoRaptor is over rated (imagine Terps fans shaking newspapers and yelling OVER-RATED! and then balling up the papers and throwing them on the other team/fans). I haven't tried enough tires to be an authority yet, but I'm slowly figuring out what I like and don't like. Here's my list so far:

    1) Tire must grip in sketchy situations - rocky, rooty, off-camber, pine needle covered turns...
    2) Fast rolling - I don't want to actually feel the tire slowing me down.
    3) Mud shedding - may require a pair of tires for muddy riding vs. dry riding, but prefer one for both.
    4) Shock absorbing - possibly bigger tires at lower pressures, but I'm still testing how big I like.

    So right now that's what I got. The 2.4 WTB MutanoRaptor completely failed #1 for me. On my list to try is the 2.6 Nokian Gazzilodi Jr., 2.5 WTB Weirwolf, and then I want to check out some Maxxis, Kenda, and Schwalbe tires.

    DT

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    172
    I'm running the 2.5 wolf in front and the 2.4 mutano in the rear. This combo works great for a lot of conditions. Once the trails dry out I use the mutano both front and rear. Play with it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    136

    ... and if we just ... Greetings!!!

    Not sure what got up Kgb's 2-hole, he must not be able to find a lighter...... I just started running a Tiogo 2.3DH on front and a 2.24 MOTORAPTOR in back. The Tioga is probably overkill, as in like 1000 grams, but it handles like nothing I've ever ridden. The Moto-Raptor is great as well, pretty light and have been able to run fairly low pressure. I was out Saturday in Wet slippery rooty rocky muddy soft slow fast loose hard conditions and they both hooked up like Elvis at the prom.

    Oh bye the way... Long time Lurker, first time poster. I finally figured out how to Register on this here website. Being a right Coaster and a second year singlespeeder I can't tell you how fired up I am for warmer weather!

  8. #8
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906
    Quote Originally Posted by DmofoT
    Personally I think the 2.4 WTB MutanoRaptor is over rated (imagine Terps fans shaking newspapers and yelling OVER-RATED! and then balling up the papers and throwing them on the other team/fans). I haven't tried enough tires to be an authority yet, but I'm slowly figuring out what I like and don't like. Here's my list so far:

    1) Tire must grip in sketchy situations - rocky, rooty, off-camber, pine needle covered turns...
    2) Fast rolling - I don't want to actually feel the tire slowing me down.
    3) Mud shedding - may require a pair of tires for muddy riding vs. dry riding, but prefer one for both.
    4) Shock absorbing - possibly bigger tires at lower pressures, but I'm still testing how big I like.

    DT
    Biker10, you, DT, and I ride in and around the DC area.

    Some of the bigger tires I own are the 2.5 Gazzi and Weirwolf, 2.3 Tioga DH, 2.5 Megablaster, 2.24 Mutano, 2.4 Mutano, 2.3 Vert Pro, and some others. For me the 2.4 Mutanos are much lighter and roll so much faster than all of these (IMHO), that they've grown to be my favorite front tire. I agree they aren't as grippy as some of the others I've listed, but they're just faaaaaast yet more shock-absorbing than skinnier 2.1 tires (but just as light).

    I ride Wakefield, Schaeffer, Avalon, Watershed, and Gambrill with regularity, and only with the last two do I sometimes wish for more width. But of those trails, I only hit the last two on the weekends, and hit the first two several times a week, if I have the opportunity. So I'm not as keen as I used to be about changing tires before every ride to the Shed/Gambrill so the Mutano stays on most of the time.

    As you already know, it's all about balance. Get bigger tires, and you'll get the shock absorption, but maybe not the fast rolling, and depending on the tread design, you may suffer with mud clogging. Whenever I run the Gazzi, I can feel the "gyroscopic" effect when I really start rolling. It feels like it's harder to turn and lean because the wheel wants to stay upright.

    DT has a riding style that doesn't emphasize finesse. He'll barrel through most things, especially when going downhill, and leave me in the dust. Therefore I think that a fatter, knobbier tire would suit him better.

    DT, where do we ride that's so covered in pine needles to affect your tire decision? Nothing comes to mind at the moment. GW Forest? But how often do you go there? Every tire I've tried on a densely pined trail have slipped when pushed hard enough.

    There are other tires that I want to try, but I've got too many right now. Good luck the two of ya, and let me know what you find out.

  9. #9
    I am the owl
    Reputation: riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,905
    For day to day SSing in the Mid-Atlantic roots/rocks/dirt/mud/sand I run the MOTOraptor 2.4 front and rear. They are the best balance of traction/weight/volume/price that I've found. If conditions are really soft or muddy, something w/ wider spaced knobs works better in the rear - say a Conti Survival 2.3
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Ricky just in case you didn't know this is Joe R.

  11. #11
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906
    Quote Originally Posted by biker10
    Thanks Ricky just in case you didn't know this is Joe R.
    Cool. No wonder you knew about that old jeep. See you on the trails soon enough.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Cool. No wonder you knew about that old jeep. See you on the trails soon enough.

    Thanks but actually it's a Toyota.

  13. #13
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906
    Shows how much I know about station wagons

    Quote Originally Posted by biker10
    Thanks but actually it's a Toyota.

Similar Threads

  1. Tire size/fit question...
    By McGRP01 in forum Kona
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 10:45 PM
  2. Blur rear tire choice thread from old boards
    By CraigH in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 05:16 PM
  3. Advice with Stan no tubes sealent ?
    By Johny Rotten in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 03:39 PM
  4. Paging Shiggy with a tire question
    By Earthpig in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 12:32 PM
  5. Suggestions for WW FAQ section
    By Trevor! in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 01:22 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.