Thread: tire help

I like endos

tire help

In the SSSSS pics thread there is a pic with a silver dean singlespeed in the background, and it has a monster tire on the back with really aggressive lateral knobs. I think it looks like just what I need to get better climbing traction and a little shock absorbtion from the huge volume, but I can't figure out what it is. Can anyone help? Here's the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Designated Bleeder

Tire advice

I'm not sure what tire that is on the back of that bike. The tread looks like it could be a Kenda or an IRC. But in terms of larger volume tires on a singlespeed, I definitely agree. I run WTB Motoraptor 2.4's on my singlespeed and I run them at a fairly low pressure (25-30psi). This give me a bit more traction on the uphills and a more cushioned ride. Other higher volume tires I could recommend are the Kenda Nevegal (2.3, I think) and the Continental Vertical Protection (also 2.3 and great if you are doing any riding where sharp rocks can mangle your sidewalls). Maxxis makes a few nice higher volume tires but they tend to be heavier. Personally, I prefer kevlar tires for the weight savings. High volume kevlar tires run about 700 or 800 grams. The same volume in a wire bead tire is more like 1200 to 1400 grams. I'm not a weight weenie but on a singlespeed, every little bit helps.

If you want to go even bigger volume and your chainstays can fit the size, try the Kenda Nevegal 2.5 or maybe one of the new WTB Timberwolfs (they come in monsterous 2.5 and 2.7 sizes and have some serious knobs on the sides). The kevlar bead doesn't weigh that much either but with a 2.5 or 2.7, you will have to get a large volume tube, most likely a DH tube. You will never pinch flat but damn those suckers are heavy.

Hope that helps

Special K

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    ...but with a 2.5 or 2.7, you will have to get a large volume tube, most likely a DH tube...
    ...or not. Most 2.1 XC tubes work just fine in 2.5-2.7 tires. Conti and Schwalbe have light tubes sized as 1.6-2.5. Kenda has a medium weight 2.4-2.7 tire and their 1.9-2.2 superlight tubes work well, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Designated Bleeder

Additional tire advice

I will agree that Kenda does offer some nice medium size tubes as do many other companies. Personally I am a fan of the Panaracer Super Tubes. I run them in all my back tires just for a little extra protection from flats and hard landings.

However, I do disagree about using 2.1 tubes or smaller in 2.5-2.7 tires. There is a limited amount of material in any tube and as you stretch out the tube larger than its recommended size, that material spreads thinner and thinner. Think of overinflating a balloon, it just becomes slightly weaker with every additional cubic inch of air you add.

Personally, I would recommend using quality tubes regardless of size. The ones you get for 10 for $20 online are crap and if you ride hard you will be changing them all the time. Its worth getting some decent tubes and spending more time on the trail riding than changing tires.

Just my two cents, feel free to disagree but it you ask me, its just physics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    I will agree that Kenda does offer some nice medium size tubes as do many other companies. Personally I am a fan of the Panaracer Super Tubes. I run them in all my back tires just for a little extra protection from flats and hard landings.

However, I do disagree about using 2.1 tubes or smaller in 2.5-2.7 tires. There is a limited amount of material in any tube and as you stretch out the tube larger than its recommended size, that material spreads thinner and thinner. Think of overinflating a balloon, it just becomes slightly weaker with every additional cubic inch of air you add.

Personally, I would recommend using quality tubes regardless of size. The ones you get for 10 for $20 online are crap and if you ride hard you will be changing them all the time. Its worth getting some decent tubes and spending more time on the trail riding than changing tires.

Just my two cents, feel free to disagree but it you ask me, its just physics.
    I agree. I was running tubes that were supposed to work for up to 2.3's with a pair of Geax Sturdy 2.25's (which are higher volume than your typical 2.25) and had a continuing problem with flats, including 3 of them in my first lap at 12 Hours of Weaverville last summer. After that lap someone gave me a larger volume tube that didn't ever flat on me again. That was on my FS bike and I've since put those tires front and back on my fully rigid Surly 1x1 and haven't had any flats with larger tubes, despite running less pressure than I was running in Weaverville with the FS bike.

I like endos

does the owner of that bike use mtbr?

Maybe the owner will know what they are. If anyone knows him/her, I'd kill to get my hands on some of those, so maybe you could direct them to this posting. Someone esle said they might be Hutchinson Spider 2.3s but I looked at Hutchinson's website and they don't look the same. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFly
    Maybe the owner will know what they are. If anyone knows him/her, I'd kill to get my hands on some of those, so maybe you could direct them to this posting. Someone esle said they might be Hutchinson Spider 2.3s but I looked at Hutchinson's website and they don't look the same. Help!
    Does this look like the same tire?
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Tire

Looks like a black Michelin Hot S 2.20 to me but the shadows make it hard to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Looks like a black Michelin Hot S 2.20 to me but the shadows make it hard to be sure.
    That is a possibility. Now called the Mountain X’trem.

Still think it is a Spider. Look at the side blocks on the bottom edge of the tires
    mtbtires.com

I like endos

yeah..

you're probably right. When I see them side by side like that they look a lot more similar. The pic on Hutchinson's website is not good for comparison. I had thought of the HotS 2.2 as well, and it is sort of similar, but I think Shiggy is right, side by side you can't fault the comparison of the Spider. I guess that's why he's the wheel and tire moderator. Thanks guys. I think I'll go buy some.