Tire advice- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire advice

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Tire advice

Currently running Racing Ralph 2.4's on my rigid El Mar.....rims are Stan's Flows. Need new tires.

I would love a larger volume tire mostly for the float over sandy stuff.

What are folks thoughts on the largest tire I can safely run on the Flow's?

Thanks.

Dirty South Underdog
    Don't get suckered in to the idea of using a 3" tire. It might fit, but it'll be sort of roll-y because the rim isn't stupid-wide.

I'm a fan of the Ardent 2.4 front and Ikon 2.35 rear. It's not bigger, but it is a pretty sweet setup. Especially if you're used to the RR front. You'll love the added traction.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was thinking about the Minion in the single sidewall version....

Is the Ardent really any fatter then the Ikon?

My riding is mostly hardpack with the occasional sand trap....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just got the 2.4 ARDENT/2.35 IKON and also have experience w/ 2.35 NN/RaRa combo. It "looks" like they are the same size, but I have not had a chance to really study the two sets and compare.

I will say that NN is a great front tire for loose over hard, and rolls well. The RaRa makes a great tire, but the side knobs suffer from advanced wear.

Think of the Racing Ralph (note "Racing" in the title) to be a ultimate traction shorter life tire (just like the auto world), what it seams like the Ikon might not have 100% the same traction, it is reported to have much better wear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    So which do you prefer the Ardent/Ikon or the NN/RaRa?

I am fairly happy with the RaRa....more wear would be nice. I see that the NN has been upgraded since I last rode one years ago.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    Don't get suckered in to the idea of using a 3" tire. It might fit, but it'll be sort of roll-y because the rim isn't stupid-wide.

I'm a fan of the Ardent 2.4 front and Ikon 2.35 rear. It's not bigger, but it is a pretty sweet setup. Especially if you're used to the RR front. You'll love the added traction.
    This.

Honestly, I couldn't be paid to run another set of Schwalbe tires. I can't be arsed with how quickly they wear out, and they don't hold up to the rocks around here. Ardent/Ikon combos last much better, and I've never had them flat on me. Grip is unreal.

mtbr member
    I'm running Ikons front and rear. 2.35" in the front and 2.2 in the rear. I'm not a tire expert but these are the first tires where I've really noticed a difference. The 2.35 Ikon in the front is the best cornering tire I've ridden. I ride with a bunch of guys who came from Ardents in the front and say the 2.35 Ikon is a better front.

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I'm running Ikons front and rear. 2.35" in the front and 2.2 in the rear. I'm not a tire expert but these are the first tires where I've really noticed a difference. The 2.35 Ikon in the front is the best cornering tire I've ridden. I ride with a bunch of guys who came from Ardents in the front and say the 2.35 Ikon is a better front.
    This combo exactly...The 2.35 Ikon seems somewhat non-intuitive as a grippy front, but it works great. I've been playing around with a 2.2 Ardent Race on back...better grip than the ikon, but it "seems" to roll slower.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Great input, thanks...

openwound
    Bronson rear, weirwolf lt front
    -- let's ride

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Honestly, I couldn't be paid to run another set of Schwalbe tires. I can't be arsed with how quickly they wear out, and they don't hold up to the rocks around here.
    My somewhat worn Fat Albert set is working great for me, although the knob height is a little overkill most of the time. I need Schwalbe's Snake Skin versions for sidewall protection. Schwalbe offers their tires with a couple of different compounds: softer and harder.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    My somewhat worn Fat Albert set is working great for me, although the knob height is a little overkill most of the time. I need Schwalbe's Snake Skin versions for sidewall protection. Schwalbe offers their tires with a couple of different compounds: softer and harder.
    I know some people love them, but after wearing out one tire, and destroying another (serious, when a rock punches a hole the size of my thumb in the tread of the tire...?) in pretty much record time, seeing dozens of them cut down through the sidewalls on various trails around here, and none of them seem to last very long, anything that says Maxxis on it and has an EXO badge seems bullet proof. I'm probably running the extremes of fanboy/hater on these two brands at the moment, but my experience indicates I have good reason. I am glad they work for someone...

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I know some people love them, but after wearing out one tire, and destroying another (serious, when a rock punches a hole the size of my thumb in the tread of the tire...?) in pretty much record time, seeing dozens of them cut down through the sidewalls on various trails around here, and none of them seem to last very long,...
    Not quite right for your conditions, then.... I don't have lots of sharp rocks to cope with, but have destroyed a couple of non-Snakeskin Schwalbe sidewalls. Snakeskin seems strong enough for me while not adding tons of weight.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzydog View Post
    Currently running Racing Ralph 2.4's on my rigid El Mar.....rims are Stan's Flows. Need new tires.

I would love a larger volume tire mostly for the float over sandy stuff.

What are folks thoughts on the largest tire I can safely run on the Flow's?

Thanks.
    I am willing to bet that if your rigid fork is suspension correct that running a 29x3.0 front tire would fly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Question still remains for me can you safely run a 29 x 3 on a Flow rim...that and which 3.0 tire?

local trails rider
    Safely, most likely. Will you like it? I have doubts. Flows are only little wider than my Mavic 721, which are OK with 2.4" tyres. 3" would be squirmy or need to be ran at high pressure.

Flow EX would be wider.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Think I will go with the Maxxis Ardent/Icon....need to borrow a true Fatbike and see how that goes...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I am running this combo as well. Works great for me, I will never run a schwalbe tire again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So which do you prefer the Ardent/Ikon or the NN/RaRa?

I am fairly happy with the RaRa....more wear would be nice. I see that the NN has been upgraded since I last rode one years ago.
    If you are happy w/ a RaRa front and rear now, I see no reason to w/ anything more aggressive. I don't have enough time on the Maxxis tires to give a good review, but so far I like the NN more than the Ardent, and thinking I will like the Ikon more than RaRa because the Ikon is supposed to wear very well vs. RaRa which has advanced wear on the side lugs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks....FWIW I ordered Ikon's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Rode the Ikon's this weekend.....they do handle really well. I was surprised to really notice the slightly narrower width in the sandy spots....the Racing Ralph's were better for the float but the Ikons were better on fast corners on hardpack....Not fully satisfied and am thinking I will try a Minion 2.5.

WillWorkForTrail
    I think you will discover the minion 2.5 is ...heavy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah I really hesitated round that fact but I decided to spend the $ to find out...

Dirty South Underdog
    Rode the Ikon's this weekend.....they do handle really well. I was surprised to really notice the slightly narrower width in the sandy spots....the Racing Ralph's were better for the float but the Ikons were better on fast corners on hardpack....Not fully satisfied and am thinking I will try a Minion 2.5.
    There's a happy medium between the Ikon and the Minion called the Ardent 2.4.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've been pleasantly surprised by the Bontrager XR2 2.35" that I'm been running on the back of my SIR9. It sits significantly wider than the Conti x-king 2.4 that is on the front