talentless hack

Tinglespeed (for Sparty; HSCC + HBC content)

I know this is the SS forum and all .. but this is the only forum here that I like, even though you're all weirdos.

Here it is, in all of its gigantic, multispeed glory. The headset spacers will be changed for red ones if Cane Creek ever starts making them again, and the brake lines are getting shortened this week. Please note that my HBC chainring has grease and dirt on it. Please note it will remain this way.

And just so you all don't hate on me too much, here's my Kung-fu Panda again. This is immediately after a hose-down. It won't be this clean again for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    You can't stick candles in a cowpie and call it a birthday cake.

Apr 2007
    I like it. I'm also looking to 1x9/10 my ride. I'm looking into a SRAM Matchmaker to make the swap between SS/1x easier. And I think I'll go bash ring/chain jump combo instead of a chain guide.
    Last edited by p nut; 07-10-2011 at 05:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks good to me, I've been toying with the idea of rebuilding my old 8 spd XTR derailleur and tracking down a shifter and cassette and having a 1x8 option for my SIR 9 to do a couple of extra long rides I had in mind that incorporate some road miles....

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Clean that chainring immediately!

if you saw my bike 99% of the time, you'd know i was kidding. I love the bare metal and red, it's one of my favs.

Ovaries on the Outside
    This is proof that the SS forums should cede from MTBR because the forum is more of a community that shares with each other, even sans SS content.

Gears seems to be a great option and I hope most of the SS guys have one bike with gears, just for the change of pace. I'm SS 3 out of four bikes, but I love a 1x? system, especially one featuring cranks that will give sMarty the boner he has been searching for.

talentless hack
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    This is proof that the SS forums should cede from MTBR because the forum is more of a community that shares with each other, even sans SS content.
    Agree.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Gears seems to be a great option and I hope most of the SS guys have one bike with gears, just for the change of pace. I'm SS 3 out of four bikes, but I love a 1x? system, especially one featuring cranks that will give sMarty the boner he has been searching for.
    Yes sir! (1 unit of 5" FS 1x9)+(1unit of SS Rigid) = Full spectrum of my riding is covered.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer View Post
    Yes sir! (1 unit of 5" FS 1x9)+(1unit of SS Rigid) = Full spectrum of my riding is covered.
    you're missing everything in between!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    you're missing everything in between!
    How is that?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    ...Gears seems to be a great option and I hope most of the SS guys have one bike with gears, just for the change of pace...
    you betcha....4 SS's along with a 1X9 FS trail rig...and a compact double CX rig...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I call dibs on presidency of our newly formed independent state.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Out spokin'
    Super nice tinglespeed ya gots there. What length are your HSCC arms?

Here's how I spent time aboard my tinglespeed yesterday... LOTS of time... TOO MUCH time...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98454327

--sParty

P.S. Somehow I got cheated out of 119' of descending. WTF?
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

talentless hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Thanks! They are 200mm. Did you ever get that fancy hirth joint crank from HSCC?

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem

Nice bike you hae there, I have a geared tandem and changing my geared niner to a 1x9, right now I don't even touch it. I ride my SS everywhere even if it's on a big hill climb day, in the mid climb I'm thinking when am I going to get that damn 1x9 going. it's good to have options especially for injury recovery rides. I just feel silly on anything with gears now, I find myself spinning when I do.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Ovaries on the Outside

Here's how I spent time aboard my tinglespeed yesterday... LOTS of time... TOO MUCH time...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98454327

--sParty

P.S. Somehow I got cheated out of 119' of descending. WTF?
    I kept checking online to see if you died or not. Nice work. Way not to be old.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by zandr View Post
    Thanks! They are 200mm. Did you ever get that fancy hirth joint crank from HSCC?
    I did. Couple weeks ago. Put it on last weekend, although you'd think it's 10 years old by looking at the photo. Since installing it a week ago, it has 117 miles on it in two rides.

Sorry I didn't have a chance to shoot pictures before installing. In addition to racing the Puff, I moved on July 2-4 and have been busy prepping to be Guide Coordinator for Mt. Bike Oregon again (we have ~150 guides this year).

Kinda hectic right now.

Anyway the cranks are really well engineered & built. In those 117 miles, I've absolutely pounded them. Haven't dropped anything bigger than 3', but yesterday alone they took a serious beating. I generally don't recommend putting a new component on your bike just before a race, especially a 100 mile one, but I had faith in these. Turns out that faith was well invested.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

talentless hack
    I did. Couple weeks ago. Put it on last weekend, although you'd think it's 10 years old by looking at the photo. Since installing it a week ago, it has 117 miles on it in two rides.
    When you have time, I would love to see as many pictures of those cranks as you would be willing to post. 104/64bcd? How do the bearings look?