Time to try a new saddle- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

Time to try a new saddle

I recently asked the question <a href="http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=683774">What is your go to saddle?</a> and showed my Sella Italia saddle below. Well it turns out it is a Flite "Alpes" saddle that I have three of and not your run of the mill Flite saddle. The Alpes was a saddle primarily sold in Europe as a mountain bike saddle (the edges were trimmed ala the early Bontragers; you can see this trimming in the bottom shots) . So I guess it was no surprise that I went from a Bonty to the Alpes. This would also explain why I didn't think a regular Flite was as comfortable as the Alpes. Of course there are no more Aples being made so I'm looking for something new. I trimmed the list down to a Selle Italia SLR XC and a Ritchey WCS Streem; I'm leaning toward the Selle Italia which has a similar trimming as the Alpes. I included a photo of an old Bontrager saddle in case some of the younger riders don't know what I'm talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Time to try a new saddle-yellow.jpg  

Time to try a new saddle-alpes-bot.jpeg  

Time to try a new saddle-black-flite.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by aka brad; 02-13-2011 at 12:07 AM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Why can't you just re-post in your own thread?
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245
    Why can't you just re-post in your own thread?
    Well, the main reason is I am no longer interested in what saddle someone else uses. This post was to describe what I discovered about one of Selle Italia's first forays in making a mountain bike saddle. I also find it interesting that after over a 100 years of Italian road saddle styling, Selle Italia used the old Bontrager trick to design a mountain bike saddle. Also, it turned out there was a lot more difference between the standard old style Flite Ti and the Alpes Ti, and I find this kind of trivia fascinating and worth a post of it's own.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thread of the year.

Members who have read this thread: 0