Time it takes to warm up on a ride- Mtbr.com
    Not because I'm fast.....

Time it takes to warm up on a ride

I have noticed over the past two years that the time and distance it takes me to get warmed up on a ride is usually about a good hour or maybe 5 miles worth of riding. After that, I usually get into a nice groove and can go forever. The warm up period is killing me though and I feel like a$$ in the beginning. Maybe I am just getting old

Please share your personal experience with this if you can, and don't be afraid to offer any suggestions as to how to minimize this warm up suffering.

Thanks!

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    I have noticed over the past two years that the time and distance it takes me to get warmed up on a ride is usually about a good hour or maybe 5 miles worth of riding. After that, I usually get into a nice groove and can go forever. The warm up period is killing me though and I feel like a$$ in the beginning. Maybe I am just getting old

Please share your personal experience with this if you can, and don't be afraid to offer any suggestions as to how to minimize this warm up suffering.
    I hear ya... nowadays, I find it takes me a good 30+ minutes to really warm up.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd

Thanks!
    I have the same problem. After 30 minutes to an hour I feel great and I almost always finish rides feeling really strong. It really sucks because most of the people I ride with don't need to warm up and they can go at their regular ride pace from the get go... I struggle to keep up and end up blowing up in the process.

Cyclist

30 minutes here too

I've noticed this too and lately I've surmised it is do to my age. When I was in my early twenties, I could stay out all night doing all sorts of bad deeds and then get up first thing and ride all day without even thinking about it. Now that I'm reaching my mid thirties I have noticed I PREFER a good warm up prior to digging in on my ride.

Lately, I have been showing up to scheduled rides with buddies a half hour early and spinning in the parking lot or hitting a mile of singletrack or gravel road before everyone gets there. But some of my buds have spoke up and chastised me for kicking their arse the first 30 minutes into a ride....

So, you are not alone. If I know I'm going long or all day, my first hour is sluggishly slow on purpose.

Tim
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Good topic. I have been noticing for years that the older I get (touchin on mid-40s), the longer it takes to warm up - especially for road rides. I still kind of force myself to go full speed ahead on my lunch rides because I only have an hour and if I spent 30 minutes warming up and 10 warming down, that only leaves me 20 minutes.

Riding with a group on the weekend, everyone is pretty much in the same boat and we start off easy. Where this is most noticeable is racing. Warming up properly before a race is hard - especially when the race is first thing in the a.m. and you are rushing just to make it to the race. I suffer horribly the first 30 minutes, but after that, feel pretty good. However, during that first 30 minutes, I've already slipped back to mid-pack! Maybe some heated leg wraps is what I need - like they use on auto racing tires.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

sage advise

Ride to the trailhead! A few minutes' (or half an hour, or an hour) of easy spinning on pavement and you're rarin' to go when you hit the dirt. Plus you're not clogging up the trailhead lot, you're not suckin' raghead fumes to get there, folks like me won't think less of you for being a wussy car-shuttle nancyboy.

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

30+ minutes here

Interesting as I just assumed it was do to major suckage of late - and riding with a fast guy who's 7 years younger. Also in the boat of pushing myself at first and having a lot of trouble finding my groove and increased problems with rock gardens and premature bonkage/suckage, which sucks.

I have the warmup problem with running too. I finish mile 3 faster than 1 and 2. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Good topic. I have been noticing for years that the older I get (touchin on mid-40s), the longer it takes to warm up - especially for road rides. I still kind of force myself to go full speed ahead on my lunch rides because I only have an hour and if I spent 30 minutes warming up and 10 warming down, that only leaves me 20 minutes. .

Lunch ride - how do you do it? Is there a trail nearby or do you road ride or urban or what? and do you commute in or keep the bike on the car? Man, I'd love to get in a "nooner".

-capt p, getting slower at getting faster

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by capt pearl
    Lunch ride - how do you do it? Is there a trail nearby or do you road ride or urban or what? and do you commute in or keep the bike on the car? Man, I'd love to get in a "nooner".
    This is 1 mile from the office. We have a shower too. I keep a bike (or two) at work. A 1 hour ride here and you are worked. It's either up or down, fun on a ss, geared bike, 'cross bike. Perfect for a nooner. http://www.mountainbikebill.com/Flightline.htm

Before kid's and school drop-off, I could ride to work, ride at lunch and then ride home. That was a good day on the bike.

There's also some good road riding. Gotta mix it up.
    Last edited by ssmike; 08-19-2006 at 07:59 AM.

mtbr member

i agree

It takes about 30 to 40 minutes.
    This really sucks when you only have an hour to ride, but hey, it could be worse!

I try to pedal to the trail head, now my buds have caught on and leave from my house to our favorite trail, this seems to help dramatically as opposed to hooping out of the car/truck and starting out.

Just remember its supposed to be fun.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Yeah...it's weird...
    Takes me a solid 45 minutes no matter what. During that time, it's sheer hell and I feel like I haven't ridden in years...then I can pedal for hours.
    My wife on the other hand...doesn't get into the pedal zone until about 1.5hours..then she'll want to pedal for no less than 4. It's creepy.
    Sometimes, the rides end before the zone begins..those are the lackluster days when your brain doesn't register improvement, as much excitment or progress. I think it's still there in some form though...
    I don't know about the age theory..we're pretty young (28) and it's an issue for us too...

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

that is so cool!

there's a fairly lame and very short green way nearby my work. sometimes i'll take the bike out back and play in the parking lot. but when it's nice enuff to commute - and i not on kid carpool duty - there's a little park that is almost on the way home. no single track, but some fun hills-n-dales.

thanks for the reply. makes me wanna ride my bicycle, i want to ride my bike.

-capt p

Mashers Only!!
    45 minutes for me!!! I'm 33....

HUGH

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Come on Hugh!
    Lately, your Tuesday night warm-ups have been like 3 hours!!! =)

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    45 minutes for me!!! I'm 33.... HUGH

don't try this at home
    the warm up is usually the hardest part of the ride. sometimes i feel like calling it a day after only 15 minutes! but i usually have to remind myself that this sluggish feeling will pass and i'll be glad i didn't throw in the towel so soon.

my warm up period depends on the terrain. if it's flat it takes a bit longer. my usual ride generally starts with a 15 minute climb after about 5 minutes of flat. by the top of the climb i'm good.

Portable curmudgeon

Over an hour at age 33

Any more, my quads feel weak - not cramped, not afire, but just plain powerless - until about 45 to 60 minutes, then I can rock (such as my version of "rocking" is). I'd chalked it up to my post-college expansion and the high pedaling effort on the SS, but it sounds like you all have the same problem. A sprint start race would murder me. Will it eventually come to buzzing my knobbies on a set of rollers at the trailhead before every ride? Sheesh!
    Call me ~Gila~

Ride what you want!!
    Yeah, I need a warm-up too, but after that warm-up it feels so good. The legs feel good, the lungs feel good, and just thinking about how much better I fell puts a smile on my face.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    Ride to the trailhead! A few minutes' (or half an hour, or an hour) of easy spinning on pavement and you're rarin' to go when you hit the dirt. Plus you're not clogging up the trailhead lot, you're not suckin' raghead fumes to get there, folks like me won't think less of you for being a wussy car-shuttle nancyboy.
    aye. i have been riding the 2 or 3 miles to the trailhead. takes about 10 or 15 minutes each way. if i have an hour to ride, I used to just drive and save about 5-10 minutes on either side, but i had to sorta warm up. when i bike, i just hit it when i get to the dirt. If i have less than a half hour, i dont mtn bike.
    we sometimes stop and stretch about 5 minutes into a ride, so we are in the woods and its peaceful.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Warming up is somewhat mental. If I'm exploring a new trail or riding with an enthusiastic group a warm-up is low on my list of priorities. Or if I'm alone a single track that requires concentration takes my mind off of warm-up (or even fatigue). Warming-up takes the longest on a boring road.

On the physical side I find that an intense effort near the beginning gets me into the "zone" faster that a much longer cruise. Yet starting with a fast descent also gets past the warm-up doldrums - I've never felt sluggish at Mammoth. Adrenalin?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Looking back to my 20's, I think I had it then too. For the first few minutes / miles my legs feel like [email protected] Like others above, I have it running too (which sucks, because even when I'm in good biking shape, I can't run any distance at all, so most of it's warm-up).

It seems like it must be circulatory in nature, but I'd be curious what any docs / physiologists would have to say on the topic.

JAK
    mtbr member

I hear ya!

For me it is anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hrs. and I am 36. I do notice that it takes me a bit longer every year, but I am also a bit more relaxed each year
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member
    May 2004

What's the hurry?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is it that makes people feel like an a$$ for going slow? Unless you are racing or training, why does it matter how fast you go, or how long it takes you to go fast. Maybe slow down and smell the roses?

If I am out by myself I usually push too hard at the beginning and suffer for the rest of the ride. But if I am with my S/O, who is not as strong on the road and not as confident on the trails, I am forced to go slower and have found that I feel great from start to finish.

So I go slower, feel better, my rides last longer and I fail to see the downside to any of this. . .

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    10 minutes to half an hour, depending on the severity of the hangover.

I ride from my house to the trailhead, but for me, it's .3 miles downhill to the dirt, so that's not much. Then I have a mile or so of gradual climbing on fireroad to the first steep-ish climb of the ride. I'm usually warmed up by that first grunt, or soon thereafter. Mostly I psyche myself up a little before I hit the first big climb, because I've got a long streak of cleaning it and I don't want to break the streak!

Try a caffeinated Cliff Shot and/or a big ol' slug of Gatorade or something before you ride. I'l sure that both caffeine and being properly hydrated would reduce your warm up time.

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Takes me ages! I'm totally in an endurance frame of mind right now and can feel lousy for a long time before the legs feel good - and then they seem to last forever. I've done races where I got faster with every lap, where everyone else was fading in the final one or two. Neve timed it though - it helps to be aware of it, so that no matter how bad you feel the ride is going to be, experience suggests that it will get alot better.
    Wibble

I love Pisgah
    I hear ya on the race warmup. I've found(I'm 45) that I need more time then younger riders. A full hour for a typcial Sport class race. This one thing..if done right, as the most impact on me staying with the lead group..or not. Very important to say the least.

mtbr member
    Crazy deal. I've always been pretty slow on the warm up but I have been noticing over the last couple years that it has taken me even longer to really get into the groove. Lately it seems like around 45 minutes. As a general rule though most of my rides have been getting longer overall as well. They now range in the 2-4hr slot as compared to the 1-2hr time frame of years past. Maybe it's a percentage thing???