Time to switch gears?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Time to switch gears?

I switched to singlespeed about mid-2009, and haven't looked back since! I started out running 32x20, and have stuck with it on the Niner SIR9 that I recently built. I been in a couple of races this year (in a geared category), and I've placed in the top 5 both times. I know that I could've finished better, but I ran into problems with topping out on the flats...and the other guys somewhat leaving me.

Is it time to switch gears? Where should go? 32x19? 32x18? 34x? How much of a difference will I notice when I swap to a smaller cog or bigger chain ring....especially climbing? I run 40x18 on my Salsa Casseroll SS and do just fine. However, that is on the road and I am riding with a little less intensity than I would on my MTB...in a race.

Low Rep Count
    A single tooth doesn't feel too much different. Don't get me wrong you can feel it and it eventually eats away at you during your ride. But I would think that dropping down to a 19 on the rear would be a good start and then maybe an 18. It also depends on the terrain that you ride/race on. I am sure I can get away with a 33:18 (what I'm riding now) at a race on my local trails but if I went 30 minutes up the road, I would be looking at dropping back down to a 32:18 or even a 32:20.

Members who have read this thread: 0