Time to retire my Privateer- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

Time to retire my Privateer

In 1998 I bought this Bontrager Privateer and the next year I upgraded to a Marzzochi Super Fly fork; the 98 and 99 Privateers were the only Bontragers that came with 1 1/8 headtubes. It was my first race bike and also the bike I first converted to singlespeed. Since that time I have built up a bunch of bikes and have 3 other singlespeeds. I even re-assembled the bike as a 24 speed, but short of a few rides as an extra bike, it has been hanging in my garage for about 6 years. I kept it around more for sentimental value and recently had the shock sent to Marzocchi to be re-built. Well, Marzocchi took it apart and discovered the stanchions had corroded in the steerer and, while the stanchions are replaceable, they are no longer available. Marzocchi said they would use the shock as credit toward a 44RLO Air, but I can find a better price on line without the credit and besides the travel is way to long (120-140mm); the bike came stock with a 63mm shock and the Marzocchi was 80mm; these frames were very fickled and anything over 80mm made them almost unrideable plus the frame is not disc compatible; there are just too many hoops to jump through and too high a cost for a bike I probably won't ride very much, if at all. I know some will advise a rigid fork, but I already have two rigid bikes SS and a rigid 21 speed that fits me better (even though I rarely ride it either). Still it makes me a little sad..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

master blaster
    does it clear 650b on the rear?

Ovaries on the Outside
    My first thought is that you should just up and send it to me.

My second thought is that it is never time to retire a Privateer.

My last thought is how sad it is for the owner to be in such a situation. Broken ribs and a Privateer put out to pasture in the same year? Should never happen in a mtb lifetime.

I just hope you posted drunk.

Out spokin'
    There's no reason to retire a frame. Give it a rest, sure. I have a few "resting" frames... but retire is such a strong word... c'mon Brad, give it a rest.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

holding back the darkness
    That is madness.
    I think I may still have an old Judy SL of the same vintage that, provided I can FIND it, I will GIVE to you in the interest of preserving such an awesome frame. In fact, I have a Manitou SX Carbon that is actually in pretty good shape (still in service) that I would trade for any usable rigid fork (it's on my wife's bike right now, need to maintain utility). PM for details.
    Retire your privateer? Does anyone "retire" a 53 corvette? How about a 64 mustang? No. The only retirement fitting a bike like that would be in the case of, god forbid, catastrophic frame failure.
    Get that thing running again. There will come a time when you need it. Maybe not for race day, or even for everyday... but you'll need it. Someday when all the other horses in the barn are tired, some day when you're inundated with whatever BS you may be subject to in life you're gonna want a little slice of nostalgia. A throwback to a simpler time. A way to commune with your former self. A way to go back to a beginning. You're gonna take that privateer out on a familiar trail, your vanilla trail that you ride the most, maybe it's close by your house maybe its a quick hit.... and you'll pedal not for fitness or necessarily for enjoyment, per se... but for clarity.
    All the lessons you learned about bikes and life from that privateer will come back to you. You will hold the sum total of your bike experience in your mind all at once, and you will find your answers there.

It's worked for me.
    **** censorship

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I've got a Superfly on one of my kids bikes. I love that fork. If I didn't have 2 more kids to grow into the bike I'd offer it up.
    I bet you can find one on ebay.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    That is madness.
    I think I may still have an old Judy SL of the same vintage that, provided I can FIND it, I will GIVE to you in the interest of preserving such an awesome frame. In fact, I have a Manitou SX Carbon that is actually in pretty good shape (still in service) that I would trade for any usable rigid fork (it's on my wife's bike right now, need to maintain utility). PM for details.
    Retire your privateer? Does anyone "retire" a 53 corvette? How about a 64 mustang? No. The only retirement fitting a bike like that would be in the case of, god forbid, catastrophic frame failure.
    Get that thing running again. There will come a time when you need it. Maybe not for race day, or even for everyday... but you'll need it. Someday when all the other horses in the barn are tired, some day when you're inundated with whatever BS you may be subject to in life you're gonna want a little slice of nostalgia. A throwback to a simpler time. A way to commune with your former self. A way to go back to a beginning. You're gonna take that privateer out on a familiar trail, your vanilla trail that you ride the most, maybe it's close by your house maybe its a quick hit.... and you'll pedal not for fitness or necessarily for enjoyment, per se... but for clarity.
    All the lessons you learned about bikes and life from that privateer will come back to you. You will hold the sum total of your bike experience in your mind all at once, and you will find your answers there.

It's worked for me.
    I understand what you say, but I also have another Bontrager to fall back on, and it's a earlier Keith made Racelight..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka brad; 12-08-2010 at 05:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    I've got a Superfly on one of my kids bikes. I love that fork. If I didn't have 2 more kids to grow into the bike I'd offer it up.
    I bet you can find one on ebay.
    I had a Superfly on my 97 Ti-Lite and that fork was a great little fork and ideal for the finicky handling Bontragers at around 73mm of travel if I recall. If you can find one of those that would be the best deal. Hope you can keep it, but at the very least think about it until spring when you can actually pull a decent price out of it if you have to sell it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    I understand what you say, but I also have another Bontrager to fall back on, and it's a earlier Keith made Superlight..
    Wow...nice!

Ovaries on the Outside
    I understand what you say, but I also have another Bontrager to fall back on, and it's a earlier Keith made Superlight..
    You're killing me. Two...

holding back the darkness
    That is very nice, and I'm glad you follow me .
    That having been said... I still don't understand this retirement business.
    **** censorship

30-ton War Machine

Retro Grouch
    Okay, after my initial despair, I having third thoughts. It will certainly do me no harm to let the bike hang in the garage a little longer until I can come up with some plan. At first blush I checked ebay and found <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/MARZOCCHI-Z4-Bomber-Flylight-Air-Fork-Mountain-Bike-NEW-/180595301724?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=ite m2a0c519d5c"> this shock </a> which I placed a bid on. Unfortunately I have very little money right now.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Okay, after my initial despair, I having third thoughts. It will certainly do me no harm to let the bike hang in the garage a little longer until I can come up with some plan. At first blush I checked ebay and found <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/MARZOCCHI-Z4-Bomber-Flylight-Air-Fork-Mountain-Bike-NEW-/180595301724?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=ite m2a0c519d5c"> this shock </a> which I placed a bid on. Unfortunately I have very little money right now.
    Hope you land it.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    dayum dude - two very sweet bikes

I'll come take it off your hands for you

don't "retire" it - hold on to it, let it hang in the garage until you come back to your senses

mtbr member
    Brad, I have an origional Judy XC that is 63mm that you can have. The only problem is the elastomers are hard as a rock. If you can find some that will work or a set of springs you will be up and running.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    Brad, I have an origional Judy XC that is 63mm that you can have. The only problem is the elastomers are hard as a rock. If you can find some that will work or a set of springs you will be up and running.
    Thanks so much for the offer; you are kind; but the reason I bought the Marzocchi was because I couldn't stand the Judy.I upgraded the OEM T2 to springs and a dampener cartridge and kept blowing the cartridges. No, I think I'll take hsakkire's advice and just let the bike hang in my garage for a while.

mtbr member
    Thanks so much for the offer; you are kind; but the reason I bought the Marzocchi was because I couldn't stand the Judy.I upgraded the OEM T2 to springs and a dampener cartridge and kept blowing the cartridges. No, I think I'll take hsakkire's advice and just let the bike hang in my garage for a while.
    If you change your mind just let me know and I will bring it to PMBAR.

I had the same years SL and blew a lot of cartridges and even put a England kit in there and ended up having that leak air too.

Low Rep Count
    Wish I had this sort of problem. My bike or frame I should say that is hanging in the garage is an original SuperGo Access frame. Back before Perf bought them out. It is actually the second one I had. My first one lasted me 8 years so I figured why not just get a new one when the time came. I thought about selling it as a complete but know that I couldn't get what I felt it was worth so I have kept it. I am thinking about building up a 29er now and with that being said, I may end up with enough parts to actually get it back out on the trails. But I think I will build it back up with gears and some sort of 80mm fork. What ever happens, I'm not going to dump it. It might just have to wait for some more parts but at least it is still an option. And we are talking about a cheap alu frame not a Bontrager!

mtbr member
    Hey Brad,

I won that fork on ebay! To show my appreciation for posting the link, I'd be willing to trade you for it. Something like, oh, I don't know, a Bonty Racelight? Just let me know.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by MudInMyEars
    Hey Brad,

I won that fork on ebay! To show my appreciation for posting the link, I'd be willing to trade you for it. Something like, oh, I don't know, a Bonty Racelight? Just let me know.
    Wow! What an offer. The Racelight has a permanent home here, but I do have a number of items of value you might be interested in. I grabbed a few which I am showing below. They are from left to right, top to bottom;

A used set of 8 speed XT derailleurs (front and rear), a new Cane Creek S3 1 1/8 headset in black, a new FSA Pig DU Pro in silver/chrome, a new Cane Creek S3 1 1/8 headset in silver, a used LX 7 speed rear derailleur

A used (but in very good shape) Brooks Champion Special B.17 in green w/copper rivets, a set of used QURY bolt-on grips in good shape, a set of Bontrager bolt-on grips in good shape, a set of used XT skewers in good shape

A rebuilt Phil Wood Bottom Bracket 120mm, a new XTR BB (BB-M952) 116mm

If you have any small children I also have a 20" Trek 6 speed and red/whit/blue that's in good shaped and and old alley cat that still has some life left in it and a . I also have new set of Kenda Nevegal 26x2.1 tires, various chainrings, handlebars, stems, suspension seatposts, and chains if you are in need. If there is something else your looking for ask, I may have it. Lets make a deal!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Time to retire my Privateer-img_4073.jpg  

Last edited by aka brad; 12-09-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0