Time to replace the chain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Time to replace the chain?

My Sram pc-1 is stretched out by about 1/8th of an inch.... is it time to replace it? I am aware that under normal circumstances on a geared bike it would be overdue....but is it really that important with just two cogs?

My biggest concern is actually breaking the chain, I have heard the pc-1 is a tough chain, do I need to be concerned?

Any opinions on the best chain to use on a singlespeed setup? I am running a 16/32 setup with a Surly chainring and a cheapo steel bmx cog on a rigid 26"

1/8" or 3/32"???

Thanks...

mtbr member
    I say shell out a few bucks and replace that thing BEFORE it breaks and you get stuck in the woods and/or hurt...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    It will hurt a ss even more! The chain is always on the same cog and chainring.
    CRAMBA Chairman

One Gear
    Mine was stretched that much and the new chain wouldn't work with the old cog and ring. The ring was shot anyway. This year I'm going to change the chain out more frequently and see how the ring and cog lasts.

Just get the cheap 8-speed chains and buy a couple at a time. Change them out regularly and the other components won't wear out as much.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by .40AET View Post
    Mine was stretched that much and the new chain wouldn't work with the old cog and ring. The ring was shot anyway. This year I'm going to change the chain out more frequently and see how the ring and cog lasts.

Just get the cheap 8-speed chains and buy a couple at a time. Change them out regularly and the other components won't wear out as much.
    +1
    If you wait until 1/8" elongation a new chain won't likely work on your cog and ring. You should change them a 1/16".

Try a new chain and if skips under load put the old one back on and run it until the whole drivetrain is shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    +1
    If you wait until 1/8" elongation a new chain won't likely work on your cog and ring. You should change them a 1/16".

Try a new chain and if skips under load put the old one back on and run it until the whole drivetrain is shot.
    With a carefull remeasure I have discovered that it is stretched by almost exactly 1/16 of an inch......I will change it out. Thanks for the "benchmark"

Any recommendations for a new chain? lbs is big on SRAM products...

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    With a carefull remeasure I have discovered that it is stretched by almost exactly 1/16 of an inch......I will change it out. Thanks for the "benchmark"

Any recommendations for a new chain? lbs is big on SRAM products...
    I always go with whatever Sram 8 or 9 speed is on sale. The more expensive ones are just prettier or sometimes a little lighter if they have holes in the plates.

mtbr member
    KMC z610hx or k810. Both are pretty inexpensive and strong (k810 is stronger). I've yet to have an issue with even a Sram 951 or 971 either, though.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have 4 single speed bicycles, 3 of them are running on KMC Kool chains, 2 on the K810 and one with the superlight version that has holes in the plates. I really like those chains, quiet and resistant. KMC Kool chains come in both 1/8" and 3/32", they are single speed specific, they are not very expensive and so far the ones I have are very silent.
    Replace you chain for a new singlespeed specific one, take good care of it, and you can manage to double the amount of miles ridden before it stretches.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGAIVER View Post
    I have 4 single speed bicycles, 3 of them are running on KMC Kool chains, 2 on the K810 and one with the superlight version that has holes in the plates. I really like those chains, quiet and resistant. KMC Kool chains come in both 1/8" and 3/32", they are single speed specific, they are not very expensive and so far the ones I have are very silent.
    Replace you chain for a new singlespeed specific one, take good care of it, and you can manage to double the amount of miles ridden before it stretches.
    I've tried the KMC chains. They wore like crazy. I had to adjust chain tension before every ride because they were stretching on a daily basis.

I run PC1 and PC971s. Wear is acceptable and they have held up to my bulk. Only one broken 971, but it was past due.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

banned
    Nov 2008
    SS Noob checking in.

I thought you had to use a SS specific chain (1/8") if you are running a SS rear cog and SS front chainring?

Are some of you guys running 8 or 9 speed chains on SS chainrings and cogs?

I'm curious because I need to pick up some half links but I'm running a 8 speed chain
    (3/32") and was under the assumption I can't use (1/8") SS half links.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I've tried the KMC chains. They wore like crazy. I had to adjust chain tension before every ride because they were stretching on a daily basis.
    and here i had the same experience with a PC-1 and find the cheapie KMC's better.

guess we will just have to agree to disagree. KMC for me unless i find scram or shimano on sale. i actually like shimano's best but they are Xspenive compared to 5 dollar KMC's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    I thought you had to use a SS specific chain (1/8") if you are running a SS rear cog and SS front chainring?

Are some of you guys running 8 or 9 speed chains on SS chainrings and cogs?

I'm curious because I need to pick up some half links but I'm running a 8 speed chain
    (3/32") and was under the assumption I can't use (1/8") SS half links.
    Is your chainring and cog 1/8? My e.13 chainring and Niner cog is 3/32. A 1/8 chain would have a bit of side to side slop even with the straightest chainline. I think it would be fine though if the tension was settup correctly.

I have used 8 and 9 speed chains on my settup. Both worked equally well. 9 speeds are generally a bit lighter and i really like Sram powerlinks. I haven't ridden any of my chains long enough to experience stretch or failures. I currently run the KMC z610hx and it runs pretty quiet and smooth. Supposed to be strong too. For the price, its hard to beat.

KMC makes a half link in the 3/32 size as well.

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    I use cheap Shimano 8spd chains - HG50 or HG70 - with great success and long life. They work well with the CK cogs and Surly rings I use. I once bought a KMC "superlight" chain with drilled plates and hollow pins - K710SL - and discovered it weighs 27% more than the HG50. "Superlight" my ass...
    It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
    I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    what the best way to measure chain wear?

banned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Is your chainring and cog 1/8? My e.13 chainring and Niner cog is 3/32. A 1/8 chain would have a bit of side to side slop even with the straightest chainline. I think it would be fine though if the tension was settup correctly.

I have used 8 and 9 speed chains on my settup. Both worked equally well. 9 speeds are generally a bit lighter and i really like Sram powerlinks. I haven't ridden any of my chains long enough to experience stretch or failures. I currently run the KMC z610hx and it runs pretty quiet and smooth. Supposed to be strong too. For the price, its hard to beat.

KMC makes a half link in the 3/32 size as well.
    My chainring is a 8sp and my cog is also for a 8spd. I'm running the cheapy little SS Forte conversion kit. I bought a KMC X8.93 chain (8spd) and it worked decently but I needed to lengthen my chain some because it was too short and causing a lot of drag.
    I cut the chain too short in the beginning and need to length it.

I was just wondering if a 1/8" half link would work opposed to the 3/32" it calls for.

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    Park Tool Cc-3.2 Chain Wear Indicator 100065720 at CambriaBike.com
    It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
    I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL

mtbr member
    My chainring is a 8sp and my cog is also for a 8spd.
    Is the cog from a cassette? Is the chainring ramped and/or pinned? These may cause some slippage if you don't have enough tension. If they are dedicated SS cogs and rings, disregard. 8 speed stuff is 3/32.

I was just wondering if a 1/8" half link would work opposed to the 3/32" it calls for.
    The x8.93 is about 7.6mm wide. I think 1/8" chains are around 9mm. This means you will have some free space where the chain connects to the half link because the 1/8 half link will be wider. With as much mashing as i do on my SS, i would not feel comfortable with those two connected. Many ppl will tell you that the half link is the weak link and you want them to fit as good as possible if you're going to use it.

banned
    Nov 2008
    Is the cog from a cassette? Is the chainring ramped and/or pinned? These may cause some slippage if you don't have enough tension. If they are dedicated SS cogs and rings, disregard. 8 speed stuff is 3/32. .
    I'm using the cheapy little steel cogs they provide in the performance bike single speed conversion kit. The cog works with single speed chains and 8 speed chains. My front chain ring is ramped and pinned. I also think the tensioner doesn't provide enough tension when mashing on the pedals. It works great when I'm sitting down but not when I stand up.

The x8.93 is about 7.6mm wide. I think 1/8" chains are around 9mm. This means you will have some free space where the chain connects to the half link because the 1/8 half link will be wider. With as much mashing as i do on my SS, i would not feel comfortable with those two connected. Many ppl will tell you that the half link is the weak link and you want them to fit as good as possible if you're going to use it.
    Yeah I'm just going to get the correct half link and not risk it. Mine would start to skip when I would stand up and mash on the pedals. I bought the kit for cheap to see if I would like SS which I do so now I'm gonna have to spend some coin on burly parts. Thanks for the info.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    A ruler. Seriously.

One Gear
    Nothing personal, but that thing is the worst. I used one religiously and the chain was fine. I read about the ruler method and found out it was close to 1/8th too long. Needed rings and a cassette with a new chain.

Get a good metal ruler and measure the center of the pins at the 12" mark.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by .40AET View Post
    Nothing personal, but that thing is the worst. I used one religiously and the chain was fine. I read about the ruler method and found out it was close to 1/8th too long. Needed rings and a cassette with a new chain.

Get a good metal ruler and measure the center of the pins at the 12" mark.
    Truth.

The best and most reliable tool is a ruler.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    and here i had the same experience with a PC-1 and find the cheapie KMC's better.

guess we will just have to agree to disagree. KMC for me unless i find scram or shimano on sale. i actually like shimano's best but they are Xspenive compared to 5 dollar KMC's.
    My experience exactly, and the KMC chains are dirt cheap.

Bro Mountainbiker
    PC1 is the shittyest chain on the market. Mine measure as stretched out after like 10 rides.

I have been on PC870s. They are cheap and last for a good amount of miles.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Agreed. After 1 ride my PC-1 stretched out. I have to adjust the chain tension before every ride.

Bye bye SRAM, hello KMC...

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the replies and advice.....I started shopping for an 8 speed chain on line and ended up purchasing a Civilian Luditte 29er singlespeed from Huck and Roll instead!!

No regrets, enjoying the 29er......

Members who have read this thread: 0