time to do a SS conversion? advice needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

time to do a SS conversion? advice needed

I have my 26" GF Marlin from 1999 that has been my only real mountain bike since i bought it and through the years ive upgraded every part on it, the only stock part that remains is the frame. For the past few years ive had so many deraillur issues and honestly i dont think i could adjust it right if it was to save my life And for these past few years ive been stuck using only one gear maybe 3 at the most, So i have come to a crossroads where i could either spend a ton of money to upgrade my entire drivetrain. or seeing how ive been getting used to being stuck with a gear or two i might as well just do a SS conversion, it seems like it would save me alot of money and it would be just as much fun, plus the lack of maintenance would be great.

I have shimano xt hubs, whats the best conversion kit out there?

do i need a chain tensioner?

and i really need a crank upgrade anyways so would a lightweight downhill/freeride crank work just as good as the ss cranks?

also if i use the Gusset 1-ER Single Speed Conversion Kit from pricepoint will that cog act as a freewheel on my shimano hub or is it a fixed gear?
    Last edited by HookedOnAMarlin; 04-16-2010 at 09:39 AM.

Making fat cool since '71
    Re: tensoners,
    The only one I ever had good performance from was Rennen's Rolenlager. I tried Surly's and another and they didn't work. I've set-up a buddy's bike with a Paul's tensioner and it's been rocking well.

Cranks: Any crank that's appropriate for your riding is good for an SS. Example: I have some pretty old Race Face Turbines and they are still killing it. I also have some Caramba's that are still going strong and I'm faaaaaaaaaat...no ph in that one. I'm of the opinion you don't need dh cranks unless you're going to be doing some dh with your SS.

SS conversion kit: that kit will give you the cog and spacers. The cog is pretty cheap, but will let you get a feel for what gearing you want and then you can pop for a good one.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    SS conversion kit: that kit will give you the cog and spacers. The cog is pretty cheap, but will let you get a feel for what gearing you want and then you can pop for a good one.

Brock...
    thanks for the info, but does the cog act like a cassette/freewheel or like a fixed gear where i would have to pedal all the time?

Did I catch a niner+?
    Re: Crank
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
    I bought one of these and it seems to do just fine. My old crank was riveted so no go on just getting a new crank piece. This one I can easily swap pieces out plus it was cheap!

The Cog will NOT act as a freewheel.

If you have a cassette then you can just put a cog on and some spacers, line it up and go. If its a freewheel those whole cassette is one piece and is screwed off.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
    Here is some help so you can understand what you might need.

If it is in fact a cog I would just pick up the tensioner just in case they're not very expensive and saves a lot of time if you need. It also will depend on your drop outs. I was fortunate enough to have a semi horizontal drop out so I did not need a tensioner.

pink
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Making fat cool since '71
    Just like Mr.Pink said, the cog goes on the freehub (where the cassette had been) and the spacers go on either side of it. You just need to make sure the cog is directly behind the front chainring so you have a straight/proper chainline. The Sheldon Brown link is a good starting point. Keep the rubber side down.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    a 1999 bike with xt hubs is going to have a freehub body, so you will just need cogs that will fit on a splined hub, which is almost all of them. You can get cheap ones from your local bike shop usually, or you can buy a conversion kit with everything in it.
    Shopping list:
    Chain tensioner of some sort. I've used the Surly with no problems.
    rear cog. maybe 18t to start
    single speed specific chainring
    cog spacers
    chain. 7 or 8 speed chains work, while 9 or 10 speed chains are a bit narrow. 3/32" bmx chains will also work fine.

You can get a nice kit from Soulcraft with probably everything you need. I think the tensioner in that kit is supposed to be pretty good.

Members who have read this thread: 0