Timberjack 27.5+ SINGLESPEED!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Timberjack 27.5+ SINGLESPEED!!!!

Just waiting on the cog and spacers.

XL Timberjack, Chromag saddle and grips, Teravail Coronado 27.5x3Ē tires, and a surly spacer kit and 18t cog.

Timberjack 27.5+ SINGLESPEED!!!!-07f3cbb9-e91c-4cd2-8f1f-5586222938fe.jpg
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    diggin the color scheme. moar photos when it's done, please.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    diggin the color scheme. moar photos when it's done, please.
    Absolutely.

Still figuring out what else needs to be gold anodized, but the cream and brown definitely looks classy...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Nice! Been ogling the Ti version of that frame.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Installed the drivetrain today, and used a KMC TI-gold chain... makes everything pop!
    Took a quick test ride before work, and oh my goodness is this gonna be a fun bike...

Timberjack 27.5+ SINGLESPEED!!!!-e0393d1d-f5b9-4d4c-bcb7-748f8207f4a1.jpg
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    anyone running a Timberjack SS with reduction plates? Salsa told me you have to use a boost hub if you want to ride is SS.

"we actually do not recommend a singlespeed set up with a 142 or 135 hub and the boost reduction plates. doing so means the small wheel position screws in the back of the dropouts don't line up with dropout like they should. if you do a singlespeed set up, you will need to either tension the chain manually or use a 148mm rear hub."

so that takes another frame off my list. I don't want to spend several hundred bucks on top of a new frame so I can needlessly replace my Hadley hub.

mtbr member
    anyone running a Timberjack SS with reduction plates? Salsa told me you have to use a boost hub if you want to ride is SS.

"we actually do not recommend a singlespeed set up with a 142 or 135 hub and the boost reduction plates. doing so means the small wheel position screws in the back of the dropouts don't line up with dropout like they should. if you do a singlespeed set up, you will need to either tension the chain manually or use a 148mm rear hub."

so that takes another frame off my list. I don't want to spend several hundred bucks on top of a new frame so I can needlessly replace my Hadley hub.

I am running the stock QR hub on mine, it came with the QR plates on it. I believe itís 142mm...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of the Sage View Post
    I am running the stock QR hub on mine, it came with the QR plates on it. I believe itís 142mm...
    interesting. can you tell what they are talking about there? I'll need to find some close-up photos of the dropouts, unless you can supply them.

mtbr member
    interesting. can you tell what they are talking about there? I'll need to find some close-up photos of the dropouts, unless you can supply them.
    I think they are talking about the small Allen screws seen in the photos. These are from my Timberjack, which I converted from a stock NX-1 build.

Timberjack 27.5+ SINGLESPEED!!!!-e299fc03-d207-4f87-a82f-0c600c9d0cc3.jpg

Timberjack 27.5+ SINGLESPEED!!!!-c400d465-36b5-44e1-9893-52f7098b7005.jpg
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    so what is Salsa going on about? is that a 142x12 hub, a 148x12 boost hub, or a 141x10 boost qr hub? acording to Salsa, the NX1 build came with a 141x10 qr, which is basically a boost hub. I'd really like to know because I was thinking about buying a frameset, but if it means I have to also replace my Hadley hub, i will cross that one off my list.

anyone running a Timberjack singlespeed with a 142x12 or 135x10 axle?

mtbr member
    Mineís a 141 boost QR hub. I still donít see why you couldnít run a 135 rear hub... the alternator dropouts are easy to use even without those little adjuster screws.
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Yeah, I can probably do without the adjuster screws but they would give me peace of mind that the swinger won't slip. If they didn't put that kind of forethought into the frame, I might as well pass.

EDIT- I have read a few things that lead me to believe that the fixing bolts that hold a Salsa Alternator plate in position are sufficient without the adjuster screw. someone apparently rode across Uganda with a 135mm Roloff hub and plate reducers and it seems to have gone just fine for them.

Salsa Deadwood Rohloff - BIKEPACKING.com
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 10-12-2018 at 06:24 AM.

mtbr member
    All they are is a pusher screw. They donít thread in or anything, and all the chain tension is held by the bolts through the frame. Still, peace of mind is important...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    What gearing are you running? I was thinking about going single again, and for the hills around me I would run 32-20 or 34-21. Was running the latter on an El Mari for a few years, allowing me to avoid a half link. Using this calculator, I might have to push up to a 32-18, since 32-20 would be on the longer end and Salsa says max chainring size is 32t. http://eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php...ey=Stay_length

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    What gearing are you running? I was thinking about going single again, and for the hills around me I would run 32-20 or 34-21. Was running the latter on an El Mari for a few years, allowing me to avoid a half link. Using this calculator, I might have to push up to a 32-18, since 32-20 would be on the longer end and Salsa says max chainring size is 32t. http://eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php...ey=Stay_length
    Iím running 30:18, which is excellent with the 3Ē tires. My 29er has 34:20 gearing, and the Salsa climbs a little better, with a bit more spin on the flats.
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    so what is Salsa going on about? is that a 142x12 hub, a 148x12 boost hub, or a 141x10 boost qr hub? acording to Salsa, the NX1 build came with a 141x10 qr, which is basically a boost hub. I'd really like to know because I was thinking about buying a frameset, but if it means I have to also replace my Hadley hub, i will cross that one off my list.

anyone running a Timberjack singlespeed with a 142x12 or 135x10 axle?
    I have a Ti Timberjack and have been running it SS on a Hope SS 12x142 hub. I'm using the stock alternator dropouts that came with the frame. No issues. Maybe a slight chain misalignment but you can just move the position of the cog to get it aligned right.

This is my 3rd SS and It's hands down my most favorite.