mtbr member

Ti vs chromo spindle

Quick scan:

You all notice any diff btwn Ti and chromoly as spindle materiel? Either with feel or durability? With all the increased strain on the pedals I was wondering if the extra bucks might be worth it in the long haul...

and what's your favorite crank brothers pedal for SS (i got a buncha CB cleats)

(guide me to a thread pls if this has been done)

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    honestly...i cannot tell the diff.....

and my favorite CB pedals are my 4Ti eggies......the scale says my bike is lighter at least .....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Okay, so Eggbeater spindle, not bottom bracket spindle. You probably won't feel a difference, but if you weigh more than 150 lbs you'll feel it break. That's the weight limit (or maybe 155). I use SL's exclusively for off road. I'd run regular Ti on the road if I wanted to be an extra weight weenie. I weigh 185lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have the 2Ti version on my FS 26er, and they have held up fine. I'm fat (230), and hit the occasional 3ft drops. No weight limit on the 2Ti eggbeaters. On my SS, I have the cromo version (SL?), since I'm concerned a bit over the durability. Rigid SS seems like a lot of strain, and they are way cheaper.

Both of these have the cromo spindle. So, I cannot say if the Ti spindle is less durable, but the weight limit makes me worry.

I H8 cigarettes...
    I got a set of these snazzy ti spindles for my cromo eggbeaters... They are stout, light and rated for 235 pounds! Not too much $ either...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fits-Crank-Broth...d=p3286.c0.m14
    Last edited by Injun Joe; 09-23-2009 at 06:54 PM.
    One is enough...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If your spindles are made from Chinese or Taiwanese 6al-4v (used now by most major MTB OEM's) Titanium alloy, Then yes you better not weigh any more than 185lbs but if your spindles are made from (Only made in USA) Ti-6Q2. The difference is that our Domestic Titanium industry is not geared towards commercial use but for Aircraft & Military use and is manufactured under much stricter conditions and to higher quality standards. The spindles we make can easily handle 235lbs max rider weight.

Wade
    Owner of Ward Industries. Manufacturer of Aftermarket Ti-6Q2 Titanium Spindles http://www.titaniumspindles.com

SS or Die
    Wade,

I would be very interested if you make Ti Spindles for Time XS/Carbon Pedals.

Murray.
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Probably 2-3 Months away.
    Owner of Ward Industries. Manufacturer of Aftermarket Ti-6Q2 Titanium Spindles http://www.titaniumspindles.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Interesting thread -- I didn't realize there were aftermarket suppliers of ti for crank bros. pedals. Hmm -- sounds like I'll be spending some cash soon.

SS or Die
    Quote Originally Posted by TiSpindle
    Probably 2-3 Months away.

Great news Wade, look forward to it!
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have the impression that the Tispindles wear faster than the original CB eggies.
    I use the 3 pairs short version on 2 SL's and 1 Ti eggbeater.
    The one on the Ti which I used most is totally worn.

Members who have read this thread: 0