Ti SS Frame Options?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    534

    Ti SS Frame Options?

    So I've pretty well decided to take the plunge and move to a titanium frame. Here's what I'm after:

    SS specific (if possible), meaning no cable guides.

    No tensioner to be used.

    Around the $2k price point (for the frame)

    Geometry similar to the Lynskey Ridgeline

    I'd like to find something that is obtainable in a reasonable time frame (4-6 weeks, give or take). I'll be building the bike up with components I already have for the most part, including a Niner carbon fork (1-18" straight steerer), I9 SS specific wheels, etc.

    What are my options other than the Lynskey?

  2. #2
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    QUIRINGCYCLES.NET

    Slightly over $2k, and will take longer than 4-6 weeks. But you get a custom Ti frame. If you're going to spend that kind of cash, you may as well wait longer to get exactly what you want.

  3. #3
    Damn Fool
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    123
    Quiring..... I've seen a couple of those around here...... absolute sex machines.

    Or, for a little less than $1500 depending on what you want, try Carver Custom Ti

    Davis Carver was pretty patient and responsive when I ordered my 96er from him. Lots of silly questions on my part. Lots of thoughtful answers on his. When I decide I want a nice Ti frame, I'll be hard pressed not to talk to him. The only downside is that he's over on the East coast. There's a shop that works with Scott Quiring 20 mins from my house.
    Last edited by TreeFarmer; 11-10-2011 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Bad link...
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

  4. #4
    trail hunter
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    85
    Salsa Selma Ti, $1849.00.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
    Salsa Selma Ti, $1849.00.
    Yep, I'd thought of that one too. Does anyone know where I could find one in stock, size large?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,510
    i would give golden bike shop a call

  7. #7
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,270
    I was thinking Singular Pegasus, but they've disappeared from Singular's website. Go figure.
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    I was thinking Singular Pegasus, but they've disappeared from Singular's website. Go figure.
    I think they only do a limited quantity each year, made in Italy, check with Martini.
    anything Steel

  9. #9
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel29er View Post
    I think they only do a limited quantity each year, made in Italy, check with Martini.
    Correct, but they why would they remove them from the website if they intended on selling more? Maybe they're replacing the model with something else. Maybe Italy's financial woes had something to do with it also?
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    i would give golden bike shop a call
    Done. Thanks for the tip.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Correct, but they why would they remove them from the website if they intended on selling more? Maybe they're replacing the model with something else. Maybe Italy's financial woes had something to do with it also?
    Nothing to do with Italy's financial woes I'm afraid. Basically the guys who were producing them had never been particularly easy to deal with, and that situation was getting worse rather than better. I just came to the conclusion that for the amount of time and hassle I was expending on the Pegasus frames for the relative return it was not worth the trouble. The steel frames are going well and I think at this point it's best for the company for me to focus my energies there. It's a real shame as when the frames are right they really are lovely to both behold and ride. I do hope to bring the Pegasus back at some point, but there is no specific timeframe as yet.

    Sam
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,816
    I think Eriksen makes beautiful and high quality frames for a very fair price:
    Kent Eriksen Cycles: Home

    I have the utmost respect for Sean Chaney at Vertigo Cycles. His frames are undeniably expensive, but he uses all US sourced titanium and he is, in my opinion, the absolute peak of the craft in titanium frames.
    Vertigo Cycles :: Home

  13. #13
    CB2
    CB2 is offline
    Jam Econo
    Reputation: CB2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    Nothing to do with Italy's financial woes I'm afraid. Basically the guys who were producing them had never been particularly easy to deal with, and that situation was getting worse rather than better. I just came to the conclusion that for the amount of time and hassle I was expending on the Pegasus frames for the relative return it was not worth the trouble. The steel frames are going well and I think at this point it's best for the company for me to focus my energies there. It's a real shame as when the frames are right they really are lovely to both behold and ride. I do hope to bring the Pegasus back at some point, but there is no specific timeframe as yet.

    Sam
    That is a bummer.
    But maybe by the time the economy comes back (or I make the last payment on my truck), you'll have a new supplier lined up.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    QUIRINGCYCLES.NET

    Slightly over $2k, and will take longer than 4-6 weeks. But you get a custom Ti frame. If you're going to spend that kind of cash, you may as well wait longer to get exactly what you want.
    +1. Scott was great to work with! I absolutely love the ti frame he built for me. I love the steel frame he built for me as well!

    Joe
    --
    Joe Partridge

  15. #15
    Gotta pay to play
    Reputation: michaelscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    QUIRINGCYCLES.NET

    Slightly over $2k, and will take longer than 4-6 weeks. But you get a custom Ti frame. If you're going to spend that kind of cash, you may as well wait longer to get exactly what you want.
    Wow. His website is terrible.

    But his bikes look cool.

  16. #16
    Rincon Local
    Reputation: mpbspt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    55

    Dude, go Lynskey all the way

    Here's mine - took a little over a month after I ordered it - couldn't be happier. . . .
    2011 Ridgeline 29er SL matte satin finish
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ti SS Frame Options?-dsc_0004_2.jpg  

    Ti SS Frame Options?-dsc_0015.jpg  

    Ti SS Frame Options?-gopr1027.jpg  


  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,735
    Carver
    Habanero Cycles 3Al / 2.5V Brushed Titanium Frames for $895
    Independent Fabrication (Look up Tyrone Shoelace's thread about his new IF)
    Firefly (MTBR recently had a news article about Firefly. Very impressive company)

    There is some new Russian company making really nice Ti frames for next to nothing due to lower cost of materials and labor. Can't remeber the name though. Do a search, it was talked about recently.

    Lots of options for Ti SS frames.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    962
    Triton is the Russian co.
    Triton Bikes - Home

    'Never heard of Habanero Cycles, but they are only a 45 min drive, so will check them out.

  19. #19
    Dinner for wolves
    Reputation: buddhak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,566
    Matt Ches...oh wait. Nevermind.
    Responds to gravity

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    350
    Just finished ordering a new Firefly titanium 29er hard tail with a ISP, 44mm head tube, lefty fork and other little goodies. Deilvery for March 2012.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Triton is the Russian co.
    Triton Bikes - Home

    'Never heard of Habanero Cycles, but they are only a 45 min drive, so will check them out.
    Their website looks old, but the prices are great. Please post up after checking them out. I'm not 100% sure they are still around.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    593
    Or, for a little less than $1500 depending on what you want, try Carver Custom Ti

    I've had my Carver SS for over a year and it's great. Geo is good and feels "right at home on the trail".

    I just can't see spending crazy amounts of money for a frame when these are just as good at 1/2 the price. With all the money you save you can go all out and get "blingy" with it...XTR, CK, Thomson, or other Ti bits.

    Mine weighs in at 19lbs and that's without even trying, if I wanted to be a weight weenie, I could probably shave 1-2 lbs off of it.
    Last edited by pedal-man; 11-20-2011 at 09:01 PM.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Carver
    Habanero Cycles 3Al / 2.5V Brushed Titanium Frames for $895
    Independent Fabrication (Look up Tyrone Shoelace's thread about his new IF)
    Firefly (MTBR recently had a news article about Firefly. Very impressive company)

    There is some new Russian company making really nice Ti frames for next to nothing due to lower cost of materials and labor. Can't remeber the name though. Do a search, it was talked about recently.Lots of options for Ti SS frames.
    Does the guy answer the phone, "Hi this is Peggy"?
    anything Steel

  24. #24
    Category Winner
    Reputation: teamdicky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,043
    I'd get the 44mm headtube for sure. You could run a zero stack headset for now, and if you ever want to swap to a tapered fork, all you'll need is a new lower cup.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

    I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Similar Threads

  1. Frame options?
    By driftwood in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 09:09 PM
  2. Frame Options
    By john_boy in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 02:35 AM
  3. New Frame - Options.
    By Luigiugueto in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-29-2008, 07:02 PM
  4. DH Frame options...
    By Tom Church in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-25-2007, 09:40 AM
  5. Need help with frame options!
    By Cycle64 in forum Ventana
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 04:29 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.