Ti Singlespeed for the wife?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ti Singlespeed for the wife?

I need some bike advice / wife advice. I just picked up an awesome litespeed tellico frame (small). The plan is to build it up for the wife with three goals:

- possibly get her to trail ride more
    - give her a bike that will do anything
    - and give her a little streetcred

The plan is moving along fine but now I'm thinking how sweet, and light, the bike would be as a single speed. I'm still going to set her up with some fox suspension up front. But the single speed would be really solid. How would I tension the chain? Half link? I don't really want to junk it up with a tension pulley.

Thoughts?

bike rider
    White Industries Eccentric Eno hub would be perfect. My wife Loves her Ti SS, the simplicity and the (lack of) weight. Go for it.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

Apr 2007
    x2 on Eno Hub.

I'm actually going to build my wife a SS in the Spring time. But it won't be bling Ti. Probably get her a Surly 1x1 or something like that. But it will be more for family rides. Whether she wants to go on the trails or not..... well, that will be up to her. Not getting my hopes up.

mtbr member

General industry guy
    Sep 2009
    I guess I'd be curious as to whether your wife is interested in riding SS. For what sounds like a fairly inexperienced MTB rider (you did say a goal is to "possibly get her to trail ride more"), SS could be a death knell. On the other hand, it could be great, depending on where you live (hills? flatland?). My girlfriend rides everywhere and loves her street SS. But when it comes to the infrequent MTB rides, she's gotta have gears. Just a thought.

In my experience, half-links work in theory and seem to self-destruct fairly often in practice. If I were you, I'd sit down with a pile of cogs and rings and find that "magic gear", where you have the right ratio AND perfect (or almost perfect) chain tension. Of course, the ENO works well too, if you don't have a strict budget.

Good luck!
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

Birdman aka JMJ

Go for it

My wife loves her Litespeed/Macalu SS!

14" ti frame, Marz Xfly80 air/oil fork, RF cranks, ENO rear hub, to name just a few components.

The ENO eccentric rear hub handles chain tension. The frame is ready for gears should she ever want to go that route again (hopefully not). I got the frame pretty cheap (about$200), so it was no-brainer to build it up as a light hardtail SS.

JMJ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Birdman; 02-03-2010 at 07:29 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking she's more intimidatd by the gears than cranking the pedals. That said, it's pretty hilly around here.

Apr 2007
    I've got plenty of hills around here, too, and just like your wife, she's more intimidated by gears. I'm going for a super low gearing, since we're just going for casual family rides. Of course, I'll have a few other gears on hand just in case she wants to start going faster.

mtbr member
    Just reiterating this ... this EBB will fit any standard bottom bracket. I have heard nothing but good things about it, and if I build up a Ti SS later this year, i will be using one for sure.

mtbr member
    How about starting her off with a 1x8 or 1x9 drivetrain? I think for new rider in a hilly area SS is going to be tough, especially if she is not riding a few times a week. The whole idea of the 1x9 drivetrain is to simplify the gears. There is just one shifter. One button makes pedaling easier, and one makes pedaling harder. Then you also don't have to worry about tensioning the chain either. Just a suggestion!

Good luck,
    Mark

CB2
    Jam Econo

I would start here too

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDurango
    I guess I'd be curious as to whether your wife is interested in riding SS. For what sounds like a fairly inexperienced MTB rider (you did say a goal is to "possibly get her to trail ride more"), SS could be a death knell. On the other hand, it could be great, depending on where you live (hills? flatland?). My girlfriend rides everywhere and loves her street SS. But when it comes to the infrequent MTB rides, she's gotta have gears. Just a thought.

In my experience, half-links work in theory and seem to self-destruct fairly often in practice. If I were you, I'd sit down with a pile of cogs and rings and find that "magic gear", where you have the right ratio AND perfect (or almost perfect) chain tension. Of course, the ENO works well too, if you don't have a strict budget.

Good luck!
    Since you don't know if SS is really your wife's bag, I'd suggest trying an inexpensive route. My first SS was a Stumpjumper with a magic gear / half link combo that worked great.

Members who have read this thread: 1