Ti frame mods & polishing??- Mtbr.com
    It's not what you think.

Ti frame mods & polishing??

OK, checked in the FAQ section for frame builders that are willing to do some retro work on Ti frames but I didn't see one, only steel and Alu. I just picked up a Kona King Kahuna and now I want to have the cable guides and hanger shaved off and a ebb installed. Does anybody here have any suggestions on who I might contact? Also, the frame shows some regular wear so I want to give it a little buff job... micro fine steel wool? rubbing compounds? I've never had any experience with Ti before. You help is welcomed!

Thanks
    Scott
    SORBA-Woodstock Diggin' dirt since 1999.

ali'i hua
    as for the finish, i heard that a brillo pad and a shyteload of time will make your satin finish tiinto a brushed finish. Im still considering it for my dean, mainly because the satin finish isnt terribly durable (you look at it funny and it scratches) and I like the look of brushed better.

as for getting the frame welded/fixed up, I'd start with any decent Ti framebuilder, but there are many others out there who do ti but are not known for it.

Who turned out the lights
    Quote Originally Posted by AlloyNipples
    OK, checked in the FAQ section for frame builders that are willing to do some retro work on Ti frames but I didn't see one, only steel and Alu. I just picked up a Kona King Kahuna and now I want to have the cable guides and hanger shaved off and a ebb installed. Does anybody here have any suggestions on who I might contact? Also, the frame shows some regular wear so I want to give it a little buff job... micro fine steel wool? rubbing compounds? I've never had any experience with Ti before. You help is welcomed!

Thanks
    Scott

I inquired at two reputable frame ti frame builders about cutting out the existing bb on my 95 Merlin to put in an ebb. Seven Cycles didn't even respond to my email, so you can bet that I won't be considering them in my next high-end purchase (too cool to do retro work, I guess).

Merlin responded the same afternoon, but you won't like the response. It will cost you in the neighborhood of $600 to have the existing bb cut out and an ebb installed, which is kind of what I suspected (but definitely not what I had hoped). It's a pretty laborious task, since their cutout of the old bb has to be very precise (what do you do if you shave off 1/16" too much down tube?). My suggestion is to have Matt Chester put fork ends on it, which is what I am considering.

Sorry to disappoint you.

todd

It's not what you think.

Sounds like it's time to punt...

Maybe just guide & hanger removal and a ENO rear hub.... Plan B. Besides, I hear 9 outa 10 gnomes prefer ENO.

Birdman aka JMJ

Ti frame finishing

Thanks
    Scott
    Sorry, can't help you with the EBB - I chose to use an eccentric ENO hub from White Industries.

I did refinish my '92 Litespeed frame using medium (maroon coloured) Scotchbrite, fine (gray) ScotchBrite and 00/0000 steel wool. I was thinking of cutting the extra cable guides off, but decided to wait. The original finish was a dull satin.

Here's what it looks like now with a light-brushed finish, and a pic from before I refinished it.

JMJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

SS Chimp

nobilette

mark nobilette might do the EBB. i have had him put disc brake tabs on 2 litespeed frames and he is a good guy to work with. the website seems to be down at the moment but if you can't get to it sometime soon, PM me and i will give you his phone #.

You Are What You Is
    There was a thread a month or so ago regarding an Ibis Ti Mojo that I was thinking about buying. Another guy posted a pic of his with an ebb. He said Dean did the ebb conversion for around $250, but that was a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Try this guy !

http://www.magmaa.com

He fixed a crack in my Merlin and his work has
    held up flawlessly for three years now.

mtbr member
    Retro fit of an EBB is a nighmare.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ti retrofitting

There is a guy on the boards here named Hudson from Colorado who got his '91 Merlin retrofitted by Dean. Don't know how much it ended up costing or how it turned out though. Hudson, you on here??

I still owe you for hooking me up with the Merlin BB tool --haven't forgetten you !

Pat
    Last edited by 1GearBeer; 06-24-2004 at 06:44 AM. Reason: 'cause
    Porrick

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Eno love

Maybe just guide & hanger removal and a ENO rear hub.... Plan B. Besides, I hear 9 outa 10 gnomes prefer ENO.
    I have the ENO on my 91 Merlin. Plan B is a good plan and a hell of a lot cheaper/less risky than the retrofit.

my .0002pesos
    Porrick

It's not what you think.
    Thanks all for the responses... Plan B it is, ENO seems the way to go. I'm ready to ride it so I will put a few miles on it first before I send it off tohave the guids and hanger shaved. Pics to follow!

AN