Ti bar vs Carbon bar- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ti bar vs Carbon bar

In the process of putting together a new Ti SS and a new handlebar is in order.

I have ridden carbon and aluminum bars, but never Ti. Can anyone with first hand experience compare between the two materials for this application?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    TI is SO forgiving and flexy. I have the black sheep moustache bar and when i am climbing something really steep I see the bars flexing as i pull back on them. When i ride with my suspension fork locked out the TI soaks up some of the chatter as well. WAY more forgiving than carbon and aluminum but there is a premium price to pay to have a set of TI bars

QUOTE=Climber999]In the process of putting together a new Ti SS and a new handlebar is in order.

I have ridden carbon and aluminum bars, but never Ti. Can anyone with first hand experience compare between the two materials for this application?[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=cbrock450]TI is SO forgiving and flexy. I have the black sheep moustache bar and when i am climbing something really steep I see the bars flexing as i pull back on them. When i ride with my suspension fork locked out the TI soaks up some of the chatter as well. WAY more forgiving than carbon and aluminum but there is a premium price to pay to have a set of TI bars

Thanks for the input. Very useful.
    I am quiet familiar with the amazing properties of Ti, although never benefited from them on a bar.

Two questions, if you allow me:
    Do you find the flex detrimental when yanking on the bar on long, arduous climbs? Especially when out of the saddle?

Do you use a shim to bulge up the bar to 3.18? Does it work well?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the input. Very useful.
    I am quiet familiar with the amazing properties of Ti, although never benefited from them on a bar.

Two questions, if you allow me:
    Do you find the flex detrimental when yanking on the bar on long, arduous climbs? Especially when out of the saddle?

Do you use a shim to bulge up the bar to 3.18? Does it work well?[/QUOTE]

I actually enjoy the flex when I am climbing, if i am standing up and climbing they do not flex much but i really notice it when I am sitting down and mashing up a steep climb.

The bars came with a shim and I have had zero problems, so yes it works well.
    I

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I can attest that the moustache bars flex a ton. When I'm waiting for cbrock at the top of a climb, you can really see it.

wait....something's not right here....

with that said...can I test ride them for a ride!?!?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you are seriously considering buying a pair you can borrow them but with his new prices I am guessing they are out of your price range

Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine
    I can attest that the moustache bars flex a ton. When I'm waiting for cbrock at the top of a climb, you can really see it.

wait....something's not right here....

with that said...can I test ride them for a ride!?!?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    If you are seriously considering buying a pair you can borrow them but with his new prices I am guessing they are out of your price range

Holy F...a $50 increase? seriously? for a bent piece of Ti tubing? Material prices could not have increased that much...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

yup!!

On the other hand i could probably sell them close to what i paid for them now. I saw a pair sell on mtbr for $175 and they sold in less than a day. Drop a $125-$150 on carbon bars and use them for a year or so and you would be lucky to get $40

underachiever
    I've been using titanium bars on my mountain bikes since about 1995 or so. I just like the feel of it. I've had carbon, aluminum, steel and they're all fine, but again, I just like the feel of titanium better. Currently, my 1994 Rhygin has some nice NOS Fat Bottom titanium handlebars (of the same era) and my single speed I'm currently having built has these nice Black Sheep titanium riser bars:

mtbr member
    @misterdangerpants
    Thanks for sharing. The bar and stem are beautiful. In fact, my project is with James...

Question, if I may: why did you opt for 31.8" stem instead of 25.4" and thereby forgoing the shim?

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber999
    @misterdangerpants
    Thanks for sharing. The bar and stem are beautiful. In fact, my project is with James...

Question, if I may: why did you opt for 31.8" stem instead of 25.4" and thereby forgoing the shim?
    Yeah, James does some nice work! I went for the 31.8 for flexibility in case I wanted to go with different materials in the future and 31.8 is the standard these days. You'll need a shim regardless of size as the titanium bar is 22.2mm. Here's another set I had James do that's a 25.4 (you can see the shim).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants
    Yeah, James does some nice work! I went for the 31.8 for flexibility in case I wanted to go with different materials in the future and 31.8 is the standard these days. You'll need a shim regardless of size as the titanium bar is 22.2mm. Here's another set I had James do that's a 25.4 (you can see the shim).
    Also a very nice bar.

Shure, if a shim is a 'must' notwithstanding of the stem diameter, than going 31.8 makes most sense.

Thanks...

Members who have read this thread: 0