threaded v. DX cogs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

threaded v. DX cogs?

I am looking to build a rear wheel and need input on the hub. Is there an advantage to going with a hub that uses DX cogs versus the traditional threaded style? Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    i prefer cassette hubs and use cogs like boone, endless, etc and spacers to get my chain line. i use to have a single speed wheel that i used eno freewheels on. the eno freewheels are superb, but removing them was a nightmare. the removal tool did not fit the slots on the freewheel very well and the removal was pure hell between the tool slipping, dinging up freewheel, busting knuckles.

i will never use anything but cassette hubs from this point forward.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    i would go with a thread on freewheel style hub (paul or phil or eno) w/ an eno freewheel. they tend to have wider set hub flanges and so build to stronger (better) wheels.
    hiend cassette style hubs such as the cjris king or dtswiss hubs are also great, however they are sustatialy more

Out spokin'
    I'm not a fan of archaic technology including thread-on freewheels. I'm not saying they're junk, I'm just saying their old school technology has been eclipsed by more convenient spline-on cogs used in conjunction with freehubs.

I've used both and this is my opinion. Those who disagree feel free to flame away.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    If money was no object, I'd go with a freehub / cog setup.

Retro Grouch

And of course..

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I'm not a fan of archaic technology --Sparty
    that's why you ride a singlespeed bike

1G1G, Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    that's why you ride a singlespeed bike

1G1G, Brad
    Hey Brad,

IMO singlespeeds aren't archaic, just simple.
    Freewheels aren't simple, just archaic.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Bite Me.
    I'm in the middle of switching from a threaded freewheel set up to a cassette style rig (just waiting patiently on my Endless cog and Fabionacci spacer set). I second the comments on the aggravations of removing freewheels. Even with my monster crescent wrench, it's a pure PITA to get a freewheel off. You also have more adjustability in your chainline with cassette style hubs and cogs, better options for disc hubs if you want to run discs, and the ability to use a wheelset you already have, plus the option of going back to gears again. I'll be selling my ENO 20t freewheel and wheelset since I don't ever see myself going back to that system.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Poorly Disguised Poser

I dont disagree...

I don't disagree with anyone here regarding cassette style being easier to work on, but removal of freewheels is not that bad....you just need the right tools.

Put the freewheel tool in a vise after running the axle nut down over it (hand tight, then back it off about half a turn). Grab the wheel and break the freewheel loose. I guess some view this as a PITA...I don't think its all that bad.

I also use a freewheel tool that is welded to a 18 inch rod...it works great when I have no vice around....so long as you put the axle nut against it to prevent the tool from slipping out of the key ways in the freewheel when you break it loose.

I should mention that I also have a cassette style wheel that I ride most of the time ...I prefer it because of the ease with which I can set my chain line.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

what cassette hub are fans runnning?

I see the merits of cassette. Money is an object so I am interested in what folks have purchased.

Bite Me.
    I'm not running a SS specific cassette hub, just a spare set of WTB Speed Disc XC hubs laced to a WTB Dual Duty rim. It's a pretty beefy wheelset, the rims are the 30mm variety, but It allows me run big tires, and it's been bombproof.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Members who have read this thread: 0