Thoughts on Raleigh XXIX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thoughts on Raleigh XXIX

I am considering adding a SS to my stable again for when I ride by myself. I work part time in a shop and can get a killer deal on either the Raleigh XXIX or a Crave SL. The Crave is obviously a very solid choice, but the XXIX really interests me. We have one in the shop that's my size, and it actually feels great as far as fit. Im a little nervous about Raleigh though, since they have a stigma of making junk bikes for so long. That, and I know very little about belt drive systems.Does anyone ride one of these? Thoughts? If I got one I would be ditching the Reba and running a rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have a 2013 with the fox fork and I love it. I switched a few components out when I bought it like wheels to American classic wide lightning, tires and old cranks, brakes, pedals, grips, and saddle from what comes stock. I also am running a wider bar with the stock 100mm stem flipped but I would say I've been impressed with the bike. The gates drive is nice and aside from switching components, to get the bike really ripping the trail, I had to set my fork pressure, and adjust the ebb to the lower position and set the belt tension much tighter than what it came adjusted as. I would recommend the bike, especially if your getting a deal. Mine rides smooth, but snappy and flickable, and its pretty light considering its a steel frame. So far my belt has required no maintenance other than the initial setup, but I know changing gearing can be really expensive on a belt drive vs a chain drive. As long as the gearing suits you, you can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My first 29er was a XXIX SS. Liked the bike. Just can't figure out why Raleigh insists on using an EBB on a steel bike. Belt drive intrigues me, but when a master wrench like Guitar Ted gave it low grades on ease of set-up & maintenance with the EBB, I ruled out it when I considered getting another one. I'd love to get a Crave at nice discount... go with it.

blet drive
    I have an xxix from 2012 and love it. I am still on the first belt. The belt does take some setup if not done proper from the get go. Very solid bike and very under rated company.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

blet drive
    Thoughts on Raleigh XXIX-image.jpg
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.