Thoughts on Raleigh XXIX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thoughts on Raleigh XXIX

I was browsing Raleigh's website today and ran across this: http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?itemid=341 I have been eying a Monocog for some time now, both the 26 and 29" version, but this seems interesting. My LBS carries both Redline and Raleigh (I currently own a Raleigh hard tail and love it) and would like to see them both side by side. Any thoughts on the bike or maybe a comparison of the Monocog 29 or XXIX?

Kris

Live Free Or Die!
    I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago when the word of the XXIX was coming out. I have one on order. I did try a Monocog 29er, but figured it would be worth waiting for the disc brakes. Plus, my LBS let me pay it off over the past two months. I am going to let them keep it as a showroom model for a few weeks, since I don't have room for it at home right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've been rolling those two around in my head for a few weeks now, but now I have to add the Haro Mary, since someone mentioned it to me in a bike shop and I saw pics/specs here. Sheesh!

mtbr member
    GCG199: Have you had a chance to ride the XXIX yet? If so, what is your take on it?
    heywood: I was looking at the Haro Mary, and I must say, its a very nice looking bike, but seems kind of spendy compared to the Redline or Raleigh. I guess time will tell when they actually release the bike.

Kris

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I haven't seen exact prices on the Mary (over 1K, I think?), but I would tend to agree with you - I'm looking at all 3 of these as similar bikes on a price spectrum, and right now I know I would feel more comfortable at the Monocog end of that. However, it seems clear to me that the jump up in price to the XXIX seems very reasonable for what you get and would probably be worthwhile to me. However, I'm not as clear on the next step up to the Mary. I'm going to assume it will be a step up in price and components/frame from the XXIX (please correct me if I'm wrong!), but perhaps that step up may not be as big of a value to me as the jump from a Monocog to a XXIX would be, if that makes sense.

If I ever get to test ride any of them, that might throw everything out the window, though, because I may just go crazy over one. The LBSs around here seem to think all three will be in stock at some point in August, so I'm keeping an eye out.

Live Free Or Die!
    Mud390: I have not had the chance to try out the XXIX yet. I decided on a medium frame size. Hopefully it will fit. The only 29er I have tried so far is the Redline Monocog 29er, which is a nice bike. I decided that it was worth spending the money upfront for disc brakes instead of upgrading v-brakes on the Monocog 29er later on.

Heywood: By all means wait and try one out as soon as they are available in your area. It will be worth it. I am glad to see more 29er bikes coming out, even if they are singlespeeds.

igoslo
    Anybody know what the retail is on this bike? Site basically say between 4 and 7, but that's not narrowed down enough for me.

Glutton for punishment
    Is it me, or does that look similar to the Haro Mary?

At least as far as frame design goes....4130 steel, ebb...

Looks pretty nice too.

ScottN

Live Free Or Die!
    I paid $750 for mine.

In FTF We Trust
    And am I smoking crack or is it non-suspension corrected?
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    LBS told me today that the price for the Mary was between $900 - $1000 and should start showing up in a month or a month and a half. Not sure yet how the specs compare to the XXIX, though.

In the rear with the gear
    My LBS says its around 7 hundy to 7.5 hundy. Looks nice but they couldn't tell me the weight and whether it had a rear der alternative, so I ordered a Q Ball, SS!

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    i like those specs!
    it being priced under $650 would be even sweeter, and rei is always having 10%-20% off sales
    Kona Coiler

Members who have read this thread: 0