thoughts on chainring bolts- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,805

    thoughts on chainring bolts

    my bike came with some of those sought-after 5/6mm hex chainring bolts and i have decided i don't like them. the main problem is that the male and female ends of the bolts only engage one another with a few threads. one of my four bolts stripped right away, the other one stripped the other night. it does not take much torque to strip them and loc-tite does not help much.

    the other thing i realized is that you can't really tighten them on the fly. if you're out on a ride, you probably have a multi-tool that has a 6mm and 5mm allen wrench that are attached to the same tool, so you can't tighten your chainring bolts on the fly unless you have a seperate 5 or 6 allen wrench to turn the other side of the bolt. then if you don't line the bolts up perfectly or over-tighten it by the slightest bit, it's stripped.

    it seems to make more sense to use traditional chainring bolts that require a chainring bolt tool. it's another tool you have to carry around that weighs nothing, costs less than $5, and is small. the bolts engage more threads and seem more likely to stay tight longer and not strip out so easily. if you don't have one,

    sorry if this is not very original, but i thought i would share my experience.

  2. #2
    master blaster
    Reputation: veloreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,149
    i use regular steel bolts. alloy bolts suck. suginos are cheap steel bolts btw.

  3. #3
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,366
    I use wiring to tie my chainrings to the crank. No creaking. Easily adjustable. Less expensive. I even anodized my stuff so I look cooler.

  4. #4
    Gigantic Hawk
    Reputation: dubthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,551
    Remember to use blue lock tite, then it won't matter what you have for trail tools. I've used both types, and don't have a problem with either. The steel bolts are def. stronger than the aluminum. If you are concerned about losing them on the trail, just ziptie them in place after you torque them down.

  5. #5
    Come see me after class
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    i use regular steel bolts. alloy bolts suck. suginos are cheap steel bolts btw.

    steel is also an alloy, and is actually a better example of an alloy than aluminum.

    anyway, the OP needs to get deeper chromoly chainring bolts. i prefer the 5+6mm bolts because then you can really crank down on them.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,016
    sounds like the OP has different 5+6mm hex bolts than I did, because I mine were just as long as my other bolts and never had those problems.

    As for tools on the trail... a spare 5mm hex wrench is small, light and cheap too. Plus it can be used on a lot of other bolts on a bike without having to use a little folding tool for those.

  7. #7
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,627
    +1 & +1.

    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    sounds like the OP has different 5+6mm hex bolts than I did, because I mine were just as long as my other bolts and never had those problems.
    Same here.


    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    As for tools on the trail... a spare 5mm hex wrench is small, light and cheap too. Plus it can be used on a lot of other bolts on a bike without having to use a little folding tool for those.
    Agreed. Personally I don't own a "multi-tool." I carry a Timbuk2 zipper pouch with loose L-bend Allen wrenches, chain tool, etc. I imagine this is nearly as light (lighter?) as a multi-tool and the individual tools are much easier to use. Nothing to take apart first, easier clearance to bolt heads, etc.

    --Sparty
    Last edited by Sparticus; 07-19-2010 at 11:10 AM.
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bryan_d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Agreed. Personally I don't own a "multi-tool." I carry a Timbuk2 zipper pouch with loose L-bend Allen wrenches, chain tool, etc. I imagine this is nearly as light (lighter?) as a multi-tool and the individual tools are much easier to use. Nothing to take apart first, easier clearance to bolt heads, etc.

    --Sparty
    I find it easier to locate my multi when it always finds it self on a nice leaf/dirt/grass/twig/rock/mud/all floor. But I do see your point.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

  9. #9
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,627
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_d
    I find it easier to locate my multi when it always finds it self on a nice leaf/dirt/grass/twig/rock/mud/all floor. But I do see your point.
    If you do buy a zippered ditty to carry loose tools, make sure the pouch is camo, not blaze orange. It's always fun to play Where'd I Put My F'n Tools!?!?

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  10. #10
    Got Mojo?
    Reputation: BikeMojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    thoughts on chainring bolts

    I like them. I have them on every one of my bikes.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

  11. #11
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,627
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    I like them. I have them on every one of my bikes.
    d00d! Aint' seen ya in many moons. Whatcha been up to? Weren't you gonna come out west sometime?

    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.