Thoughts on a carbon frame for SS...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thoughts on a carbon frame for SS...

I am looking at a carbon frame for a SS conversion. Its an early 2000 Giant MCM model frame and it will have a squishy front end. I have all the parts needed, but I wanted to know if this is a good idea. Of all the bikes posted on this forum I have never seen a carbon frame single speed before. Is there anything I am not considering? I think its gonna make a sweet ride if everythiing works out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Truffle Shuffle

Single Speed Steve
    Jun 2005
    I'm not sure about the carbon fiber aspect but it sure looks like it would be a beautiful build.

Quote Originally Posted by cavitykilla
    I am looking at a carbon frame for a SS conversion. Its an early 2000 Giant MCM model frame and it will have a squishy front end. I have all the parts needed, but I wanted to know if this is a good idea. Of all the bikes posted on this forum I have never seen a carbon frame single speed before. Is there anything I am not considering? I think its gonna make a sweet ride if everythiing works out.

Devolution is real!
    I have seen trek carbon fiber SS at races. Your bike would look awesome built up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My first SS........

Was a raliegh carbon frame with a singulator. It worked great! I say go for it!

Fat, but working on it...
    No. That's a very, very bad idea. In fact, the only thing you should do with that frame is box it up and send it to me. I'll PM you my address....

Seriously, though, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work. I think you don't see many carbon SS bikes is the same reason you don't see many carbon geared bikes. Carbon isn't that popular for mountain frames. But it should be fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Come on, this is the SS forum

You can't use carbon or any other advanced materials for a singlespeed. You also said a (gasp) squishy front end. To be a true singlespeeder, you'll have to use a frame made from steel, preferrally, 4130 chromo. A rigid fork, 36 spoke wheels with Sun Rhynolite rims, DH 2.5 tires is also required to be one of us. It also helps if you have at least 2 tattoos, like microbrew beer or Pabst Blue Ribbon and some silly beard hanging off your chin.
    Of course I'm only kidding, it sound like it would make a fine SS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

@#%$*

@#$%^&
    Last edited by Beeone; 09-12-2005 at 10:45 AM. Reason: @#%$

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeone
    You can't use carbon or any other advanced materials for a singlespeed.
    Yes, this is why you don't see carbon very often. SSers tend to think steel is cool, especially (custom) hand-made frames, which are mostly steel or ti. I do like the look of the thin steel tubes. But if you like the carbon, then by all means go for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I saw my grandma riding a carbon SS at Oak Mountain the other day. I think she was riding a rigid fork though.

The Top Cap Guy
    Man - one thing I have been thinking about for about the last year was to see if I could get Calfee (forgive me if I misspelled) to make me a SS mtn frame. They have a custom frame link on their site... they don't list mountain bike frame but they list tandem frames so a EBB Carbon frame is no issue. But I think a carbon frame could be a really nice SS bike....

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve Lansteamer
    I saw my grandma riding a carbon SS at Oak Mountain the other day. I think she was riding a rigid fork though.
    Are you from the -Ham? I was out riding at Oak Mtn on Sat. and Sunday.

Also, anyone know who makes the best singulator? -CK
    Truffle Shuffle

newbie boobie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    Man - one thing I have been thinking about for about the last year was to see if I could get Calfee (forgive me if I misspelled) to make me a SS mtn frame. They have a custom frame link on their site... they don't list mountain bike frame but they list tandem frames so a EBB Carbon frame is no issue. But I think a carbon frame could be a really nice SS bike....

FF
    Or, you could go a step further and get a bamboo / carbon ebb... um, the tightest frame ever? (minus my Retrotec, that is)
    It ain't easy being human.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy

FF
    I can do full custom carbon MTB's. Zero demand for them - they cost US$3200 frame only.

Back on topic, Giant used to make their frames with bolt on dropouts. I'm not sure if that model has them, but that would make conversion a whole lot easier.

Initially I was going to berrate you for not going steel, but then I remembered my next SSer will be an URT, so -

No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

bob
    mtbr member

Surley

Surley singulator is popular and it works well. I have one, if you're interested. Shoot me a PM.

mtbr member

I resemble that remark

Quote Originally Posted by Beeone
    You can use carbon for a singlespeed. Squishy front end. A rigid fork, DH 2.5 tires is also required to be one of us. It also helps if you have at least 1 tattoo, like microbrew beer or Pabst Blue Ribbon and some silly beard hanging off your chin.
    The beard IS NOT silly!!

No Justice = No Peace

rennen is sweeeeeet

So much cooler and tighter than a spring mounted Surly. Super nice. So nice, I want one for my geared bike!
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    I can do full custom carbon MTB's. Zero demand for them - they cost US$3200 frame only.

Back on topic, Giant used to make their frames with bolt on dropouts. I'm not sure if that model has them, but that would make conversion a whole lot easier.

Initially I was going to berrate you for not going steel, but then I remembered my next SSer will be an URT, so -

I think the Trek OCLVs have bonded in dropouts. I remember hearing that the glue melted when heated and the standard dropouts could be removed pretty easlily. Me thinks I read it on a write up of Travis Bowns's short track bike ( not the 69er, but the OCLV before it).

I would stay away from Calfee for MTBs. A friend had a Calfee road bike and the fork cracked when he had it on a roofrack. Calfee wouldn't warantee it since it wasn't within the bike's intended use. I suspect he wouldn't build it anyways.

If you are converting an existing carbon frame you already have, go with it. If you want a top-shelf custom bike, ti is the way to go for MTB. The whole durability thing makes carbon seem silly to me for offroad unless you are a factory racer. All of the frames I ride the most have dents that would have put a carbon frame out of commission.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Are you from the -Ham? I was out riding at Oak Mtn on Sat. and Sunday.

Also, anyone know who makes the best singulator? -CK
    Pel-Ham.

I think I rode with you once on wednesday night. Your wheel was real noisy...sounded like a motorbike. I don't think you will be happy running a singulator after riding a legit SS frame. At some point your chain will bounce off and when it does you will wrap your gonads around your stem. I suggest getting an ENO hub and running a linear-pull brake instead of a disk. That frame with and ENO hub would be tough to beat.

newbie boobie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine

I think that was only the drive side...
    It ain't easy being human.