Thoughts on 26ss vs 29ss- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Thoughts on 26ss vs 29ss

After riding my buddies 29erss today, I fell in love and am hoping to build my own soon. Not used to the slow steering though and was wondering your thoughts on 26ss? Don't think I've seen a 26ss in my area at all. All 29ers. Whatchu guys think? Could it just be the geo on the bike? It was a 17.5" felt nine elite setup rigid.

mtbr member
    The slow steering is a feeling many ppl get from a 29er. Thats why they have steep head angles and more rake. Since you fell in love, did you like the steering? Most riders will adapt to the geometry of any bike after a few rides. Its all a matter of what you feel comfortable with.

Things to consider-

You can gear 26 and 29's to pedal equal. The 29er has a better rollover but does not replace suspension. Not as many tires for 29er as 26. 29er wheels are heavier. blah blah blah. Ride what YOU like.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    What did you like about it? Maintaining momentum/keeping speed constant should be better both due to a little more mass or inertia at the wheel, but also due to rollover and chatter. How did he set his bike up compared to yours? My feeling is you get away with slightly lower pressures in the tyres on a 29er. Slower steering is also a function of stability, with gyroscopic forces keeping the wheel more stable, but personally I don;t find it an issue. You will just need to learn how to ride a new bike. It'll either suit you or not, but it sounds like it does.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It sure as hell was fun. I have a 26fs so going from that to a rigid ss29 felt weird but in a good way. My buddy has a 26ss that I'm going to borrow and try out. It has suspension though so it will be different. The 29er felt like I couldn't sling it around, which I like, so we will see how this personal comparison pans out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have both, started on a 26ss, on my second one. 26ss can be tossed around more, more like a BMX bike. Doesn't roll over obstacles as well as the 29ss or maintain momentum as well. I started rigid, now run a Fox 100mm fork with remote lock out on the 26ss. Much better with front suspension, remote lock out a huge plus for climbing. Geared 32/18.

29ss feels big, but after you get used to it doesn't seem so "slow" handling. 29ss is faster on rolling trails and better climber, maintains momentum better. Less need for front suspension, I run Fox 100mm fork, often leave it locked rigid. Geared 32/20.

I think the 29ss is easier to ride overall, but not as "fun" as the 26ss.

mtbr member
    I have ridden 26 inch wheeled bikes that handled like lead sleds, and 29'ers that rode light and nimble. Wheel size makes a difference, but frame design and construction makes a lot bigger difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I have ridden 26 inch wheeled bikes that handled like lead sleds, and 29'ers that rode light and nimble. Wheel size makes a difference, but frame design and construction makes a lot bigger difference.
    Valid point. I'm researching frames. I can't spend too much but right now I think the on-one inbred is the only thing in my budget. Unless I find something used but I just want to make sure it handles well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I love my Inbred. Had it out yesterday. Not sure where the "not as easy to sling around" comment comes from because even with my self-built superlight wheelset (hope/dt revolution/stans crest), I've hucked it off 3ft drops and regularly aim for that little trailside embankment you can hip/whip off of and it just keeps on going. Regular gearing is either 34/16 or 34/18 depending on where I'm riding.

If it's steep enough that I need a lift/truck to get uphill, then I'm on my goose... otherwise it's a 29er all the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rglsr View Post
    I have both, started on a 26ss, on my second one. 26ss can be tossed around more, more like a BMX bike. Doesn't roll over obstacles as well as the 29ss or maintain momentum as well. I started rigid, now run a Fox 100mm fork with remote lock out on the 26ss. Much better with front suspension, remote lock out a huge plus for climbing. Geared 32/18.

29ss feels big, but after you get used to it doesn't seem so "slow" handling. 29ss is faster on rolling trails and better climber, maintains momentum better. Less need for front suspension, I run Fox 100mm fork, often leave it locked rigid. Geared 32/20.

I think the 29ss is easier to ride overall, but not as "fun" as the 26ss.
    That about sums it up for me, except for the last comment. I don't have fun when I can't clear climbs due to being hung up on rocks/roots. It's my own fault for not avoiding those obstacles, but 29 sure makes it easier to plow over. My slice and dice skills are almost non-existent after grunting up 350 vertical ft. in 1/2 mile. At 10k ft.

If the trails are smoother, I'd take my 26SS all day for the nimbleness and less "flywheel" effect. Rockier terrains, my 29SS gets the call.

mtbr member
    I think that rigid singlespeed is the perfect application for 29" wheels: better momentum, better traction, better rollover.

That said, you lose the "flickability" of the smaller wheels and shorter wheelbase. I find my 29er to be a little more of a handful in the tight stuff, but you learn how to compensate. My 26er had that "telepathic," point-and-shoot handling going for it, whereas the 29er sometimes needs to be shoved around a little; aggression is more necessary, but better-rewarded with the bigger wheels.

mtbr member

Splitting hairs question

I have a 26 inch rigid SS set up for climbing only. If it is set up 32x20 my question is ... what gearing should be run on a rigid 29er to make the bikes degree of difficulty as equal as possible. 32x21t or 32x22t for the 29er?
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    I have a 26 inch rigid SS set up for climbing only. If it is set up 32x20 my question is ... what gearing should be run on a rigid 29er to make the bikes degree of difficulty as equal as possible. 32x21t or 32x22t for the 29er?
    Generally, 26-650b= 1t rear. 26-29= 2t rear. Front rings are near a 1/2t for each tooth added/subtracted. I use Mike Sherman's Calculator to figure out ratios.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Generally, 26-650b= 1t rear. 26-29= 2t rear. Front rings are near a 1/2t for each tooth added/subtracted. I use Mike Sherman's Calculator to figure out ratios.
    Thanks man !
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I rode a Specialized Carve SL 29er rigid SS today. Loved it. It was "freeing." Only was able to take it around the the area of the bike shop. I'm used to my Giant Anthem 29er full suspension 'riding-couch.' But this is a whole new world. I definitely would want a shock up front though, so I'm holding off for now. Also can't stop thinking about a Karate Monkey, just because it's steel and might be a little forgiving. Not super crazy about an Aluminum hard tail ... I'm not 18 any more.

For my terrain and riding style, 29 suits me better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Exactly!
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    For me it was 29-inch wheels that brought the once-obvious superiority of full suspension into question.

PS. Yes it could be just the geometry. I rode a bunch of FS 29ers before buying a hardtail and there were only a few that I thought handled well. The Niner Jet9, for instance, handles very well.
    Last edited by bugshield; 12-08-2012 at 06:07 AM. Reason: PS

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    My 29er s.s. is much more difficult when riding unfamiliar switchbacks, that is about it. I think the 29er s.s. makes familiar trails (trails I am somewhat tired of riding) seem brand new. I have always wanted to find/build an old Trek Y-Bike into a full squish 26er single speed, as the btm bracket is connected to rear suspension. I think I would need locking rear shock. Good for you if you get to try both 26 and 29. Post your results.

destructionismyobjective
    I think it all depends on terrain and riding style.

I personally built up a 20# 26ss rigid this season. I love it. Makes every trail like new. Climbs like a goat, pumps really well off dips and berms. Punchy acceleration.

Im now selling my full squish so I can build a light weight 29ss rigid. Why? Cause there is application for it on a few of the trails. The faster, rougher trails in the area where I used to think I needed full squish I think is where the 29 would really shine. After 26ss rigiding the rougher trails I realized its all doable on any bike. But the flywheeling and angle of attack with the 29 wheels could come in handy also.

So for me it isnt about wich bike is better on everything, its about having a horse for the course. If It were all tight tech with quick steep climbs and short decents threading the needle id stick with 26. But with the trail selection in the area I think I will use both bikes equally once I have a 29.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I first tried ss, never looked back....

Tried 29er ss last year, haven't looked back...

That being said, the 29er is a tank, rolls over everything but harder to shift around. My ability to steer was never an issue with the 26, but I'm still learning on the 29er. Its subtle don't get me wrong, mainly in tight sections, unexpected bends, and such....but overall riding style changes to make it feel comfy like a 26. My future FS will be a 650b....

29ers are best for ss imo

Stock, but with upgrades.
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_bikes View Post
    I first tried ss, never looked back....

Tried 29er ss last year, haven't looked back...

That being said, the 29er is a tank, rolls over everything but harder to shift around. My ability to steer was never an issue with the 26, but I'm still learning on the 29er. Its subtle don't get me wrong, mainly in tight sections, unexpected bends, and such....but overall riding style changes to make it feel comfy like a 26. My future FS will be a 650b....

29ers are best for ss imo
    I'm loving my 27.5" SS fully rigid so far.

I'm running 32/16 but that is always subject to change as I dial it it. I always had trouble with my geared 29ers and the low bottom bracket height. I bent the large chainring (44T) on my C'dale F29 Caffiene rolling over stuff. I never hit it with my Kona Kikapu 26" but the 27.5 with the SS 32T seems more like the 26er. I don't lose as much momentum like the 26" wheel did thought, and I like the way that I can hop stuff and throw it into turns like a 26er. Basically, it seems like what they call it, "the compromise."
    Nashbar 650b SS; Cannondale F29; Kona Kikapu Deluxe Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er; BMX Viper; Pansonic DX-1000

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SCkikapuD View Post
    I'm loving my 27.5" SS fully rigid so far.

I'm running 32/16 but that is always subject to change as I dial it it. I always had trouble with my geared 29ers and the low bottom bracket height. I bent the large chainring (44T) on my C'dale F29 Caffiene rolling over stuff. I never hit it with my Kona Kikapu 26" but the 27.5 with the SS 32T seems more like the 26er. I don't lose as much momentum like the 26" wheel did thought, and I like the way that I can hop stuff and throw it into turns like a 26er. Basically, it seems like what they call it, "the compromise."
    Hmm, sounds that you have a setup I'd probably like pretty well. What size and frame are you running, meaning is it a 27.5 or 26?? I do like to hop stuff and once was ok on the ole bmx but the 29er, for me, is still like jumping a boat....which I'd admit is probably operator error.

Teen Wolf
    really? why open a can of worms. just search and read.

Stock, but with upgrades.
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_bikes View Post
    Hmm, sounds that you have a setup I'd probably like pretty well. What size and frame are you running, meaning is it a 27.5 or 26?? I do like to hop stuff and once was ok on the ole bmx but the 29er, for me, is still like jumping a boat....which I'd admit is probably operator error.
    Its the nashbar ss 650b. 21 inch XL. I'm 6'2"

I rode bmx so...
    Nashbar 650b SS; Cannondale F29; Kona Kikapu Deluxe Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er; BMX Viper; Pansonic DX-1000

Bro Mountainbiker
    Its the rider, not the wheel size. Pick one and learn to ride it fast.

The fastest SSer in the state rides a 26er. The second fastest rides a 29er
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Members who have read this thread: 1