Those funky maneuvers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Those funky maneuvers

How many of you can stop and bunny hop to change direction? I see videos of riders doing that and I have tried and after the first bounce I lose my balance.

mtbr member
    I can but it's not really that useful. It's simple to learn -- practice in your driveway. It's just a matter of learning to hop to keep the bike upright. When you can do that, you can convert that into bunny hopping to turn the bike around. I've seen it used on super tight switchbacks but I think it's more for show.

I can't, however, do it on my FS bike. It's way easier on a HT.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    It is showy for sure. I just wasn't sure if it was useful.

mtbr member
    Guy I ride with can spin a low speed 180 on the trail by locking up his front wheel into a nose wheelie, holding the bars so the front wheel remains straight, and swinging his ass to the left when the rear wheel comes up. The bike just pivots around where his front tire contacts the ground. It's truly impressive.

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    Guy I ride with can spin a low speed 180 on the trail by locking up his front wheel into a nose wheelie, holding the bars so the front wheel remains straight, and swinging his ass to the left when the rear wheel comes up. The bike just pivots around where his front tire contacts the ground. It's truly impressive.
    There's a pretty good training video for that move posted here. I'd really like to learn to do this - it could come in handy pretty often.

How To: Rotating Endo?s and Yoga Balance Challenge by Ryan Leech - Mtbr.com
    It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
    I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL

mtbr member
    years of bmx have taught me how to endo, spin, manual, and 180. I can hop around like a trials rider to get over stuff and quickly change direction on the trail. much harder to do on rocky or loose terrain though!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I admire those of you who can do these things. Impressive stuff!

Trail Ninja

- Florian Nicolai - Rocky Mountain Bicycles at Finale Ligure

This is the most functional version, and what you should aim to practice doing, I guess if you ever intend to race something like Finale Ligure on your single-speed.

local trails rider
    That is pretty cool! I mostly keep the rear tyre on the ground, but the second part of what he does looks somewhat familiar: manualing or wheelying the front to get it pointing where I want to go.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    just like mack_turtle...I grew up riding bmx for as long as I can remember. The bike handling and balance skills definitely carry over. Sometimes I surprise myself with how long I can hop around and change direction.

Find an open field and practice coming to a dead stop, turning (either by hopping the whole bike, or doing a nose pivot), then pedaling again.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eness215 View Post
    just like mack_turtle...I grew up riding bmx for as long as I can remember. The bike handling and balance skills definitely carry over. Sometimes I surprise myself with how long I can hop around and change direction.

Find an open field and practice coming to a dead stop, turning (either by hopping the whole bike, or doing a nose pivot), then pedaling again.
    Is it possible to do the nose turn with the seat up or do most guys lower their seat so it doesn't hit their ass?

mtbr member
    When waiting for another rider to arrive before starting a ride, we often have impromptu track stand/bunny hop contests. Basically you see who can keep the bike upright the longest without pedaling or rolling. Once you can do that, it's easy to convert that skill into the "bunny hop around a 180 deg corner" trick.

I think the front wheel endo thing is far more useful. I can do small ones like that in the parking lot but don't have the guts to try it in combat situations.

mtbr member
    I can't bunnyhop a 29er near as high as I could on a bmx bike, but I can at least get up a curb or huck myself on top of a 1-foot ledge. lowering the seat might help a little if you wanted to hop and tuck the bike to get on something really tall, but if you are just wiggling your bike into a tough position, I use my thighs against my seat to direct the back wheel where I want it to go.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I can't bunnyhop a 29er near as high as I could on a bmx bike, but I can at least get up a curb or huck myself on top of a 1-foot ledge. lowering the seat might help a little if you wanted to hop and tuck the bike to get on something really tall, but if you are just wiggling your bike into a tough position, I use my thighs against my seat to direct the back wheel where I want it to go.
    I have not mastered the bunny hop much over a foot yet. I just cannot seem to get much air. Not sure i can even clear a curb.

mtbr member
    if you can loft your front wheel onto an object, then shift your weigh forward and lift your rear wheel onto that object without the tire hitting the front edge of that object, then you can bunnyhop it. you just have to do those two motions in quick succession. loft the front wheel and then lift the rear wheel while the front wheel is approaching it's apex. the seat can get in the way if you try to get really high, but anyone should be able to at least get up on a curb. it just takes practice and a lot of upper-body strength. no clipping in required!

most cyclists don't do a lot that involves upper-body strength, so this is a struggle. when I rode bmx in high school and college, I had ripped forearms and a stronger back. since I have been riding mountain bikes exclusively these last four years, I have lost most of that.

try it- maybe lower your seat and practice hopping up onto a curb/ rock/ box/ ledge and doing a wheelie to exit. you will get it eventually and your arms and back will be on fire!