mtbr member

For those with 3.0 Gazzi experience

What is the narrowest rim you have mounted this tire on? I want to give it a shot but I have a 24mm Sun DS1-XC Disc rim on the wheel I'd be using. Anyone have experience with using a 3.0 Gazzi on an XC rim?

If it turns out to be to big than is the 2.6 Gazzi worth trying as the next biggest tire out there?

Also I suppose someone out there has tried the 3.0 with stans system, how did that go? How low could you run it as far as psi is concerned?

Thanks for the info, Cheers from Austin~

highly visible

Wide rim might be needed only for serious downhilling

I'm running an Arrow Prime Wide 3.0 on a Mavic X117 rim, which is only about 22-23mm wide, and have had no problems (other than mounting it). I've put a good 100 miles on this setup already, and it's solid as a rock. Even though I'm only running 10 (!!) psi, there is no way that tire is going to flop over or slip off the rim. The Arrow does have a beadlock feature (can't remember if the Gazzi does) and its sidewalls might be a bit stiffer.

Both of these 3.0 tires recommend a minimum rim width of 28mm, but that's probably directed at the downhillers who buy most of these tires. I wouldn't do extensive high-speed downhilling or big drops with a 3.0 on such a narrow rim, but for my XC riding it works just fine (until I have to fix a flat in the field, but get real - how likely is that to ever happen?) I know redhaze.com is also running a Gazz 3.0 on a 24mm-ish rim with no problems.

mtbr member
    I've had a 26'er Gazzi 3.0 on a DS1-XC rim, looked weird, worked fine. You cannot go as low in psi as on a Rhynolite or Double Wide (which is what I have it on now). Mounting the tire was difficult, required steel tire levers - potential to scratch up the rims.

Cheers,

Tom

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXSS
    What is the narrowest rim you have mounted this tire on? I want to give it a shot but I have a 24mm Sun DS1-XC Disc rim on the wheel I'd be using. Anyone have experience with using a 3.0 Gazzi on an XC rim?

If it turns out to be to big than is the 2.6 Gazzi worth trying as the next biggest tire out there?

Also I suppose someone out there has tried the 3.0 with stans system, how did that go? How low could you run it as far as psi is concerned?

Thanks for the info, Cheers from Austin~
    It will work on your rim but you will have a heck of a time getting it (or the Gazzi Jr) on and off the Sun.

Another tire to look at is the new Schwalbe Big Betty 2.40. It is actually slightly bigger than the Gazzi 2.6 and 2/3rds the weight. Folding bead with reinforced sidewalls.

The specs are on my Tire Site
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Gotcha, I can't use something that I can't change a flat on the trail on.

Shig was that 2.7 timberwolf from your IB pics a folding tire option?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    There will be a Race (folding, light casing) version of the TimberWolf 2.7.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Aha!

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DS-XC1 should be fine

I've run the 3" gazzi on WTB SpeedDisc rims that run around 24mm (would still be running it but taco'd that wheel a couple of weeks ago) and it's now on a spare DS-XC-2.

mounting tips:
    put a little water/lube on the tire bead for the last part, the SUN rims are tough to change (tho I have a Singletrack rim with a 2.6" gazzi that works much better than the XC rims).
    I like to use a cone wrench sometimes as a tire lever.

I have NEVER had a flat in the field with the 3" Gazzi. This is 3000+ miles of technical XC and DH riding at 10-20psi. For awhile I stopped even carrying a pump, but started carrying again because its nice to nudge tire pressure a bit when doing a 6000' elevation change.

Run that big Gazzi and run it low, you'll like it!

bike ON
    bob
    http://red-haze.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've ran one succesfully on a Mavic X517 which is mental thin 17 or 19mm if my memory serves.
    At 10psi using the brakes into tight corners means soo much grip and a bit of squirm and you can't turn in on such small rims.
    Normally run them around 15-18 psi.
    You will not puncture one of these unless your rim is faulty. I've used one with normal tubes down the 35km Megavalanche race and the top half is mental rock sticking out everywhere without a problem.
    I would recommend using a bigger rim than the X517, They do feel nicer on 219s
    Problem with the Scwhalbe they won't run to such low pressures without squirming.