A third place at Northstar..- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

A third place at Northstar..

Well I'm back from Truckee (Northstar); the venue was for the Western States Police and Fire Games. The course I hear was similar to the annual NORBA XC race. Village to 6%, Big Springs, Big Springs Rd, XC, 900, Kickback, Tor's Hammer, Sawmill to 500, Sawmill to Caboose, DV8, Trymph to Competition, 24hrs to Finish. The course was an 8 mile loop which we did 2 times. The weather was in the high 80's and the altitude was between 6300 and 6800 feet (the week before I spent with the Boyscouts at Lake Huntington, 7600 feet, so I was somewhat acclimated). I raced in the 50-54 age class which put me against 6 other racers. I won't go too much into detail of the race. Since the race is on the face of a mountain, there was good amount of climbing at the beginning (a nice traversing single track called "6%") and ended with a technical downhill (rated Black Diamond) called "Competition". One thing I learned about a ski mountain turned bike course, is the trails are poorly marked. While every trail might truly have been marked, when I pre-rode the course the day before, I found the trails were usually marked at the top; not the bottom. Good for skiing and downhill, but not so good for XC.

I was the only single speeder and came in third. Luther, who I battled 3 years ago in San Jose won the gold and I don't know the name of the second place finisher. My primary reasons for being there was to have a good time, be a good will ambassador for Singlespeed and hopefully win a medal. I did all three, so the trip was a rousing success. I hope you all will have as good as a summer vacation.

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Nice job Brad...

So are you a Cop or a Fireman? I wanted to race this year but had too much going on. Did you race last years Fire Olympics in San Jose?

Retro Grouch

Santa Cruz PD..

Quote Originally Posted by stoom
    So are you a Cop or a Fireman? I wanted to race this year but had too much going on. Did you race last years Fire Olympics in San Jose?
    No, the last Police/Fire games I did was two years ago in Auburn (the Sacramento games). Next year the games are in San Diego; Maybe they'll use the San Juan Trail as the venue.

1G1G, Brad

NedwannaB

Hey!!!!!

I wanted to race this year but had too much going on.
    Like what? Get back to work! Or are you maning the f/station phones via the stationary trainer??

Sorry for the thread hijack Brad. Good job represent'n the SS brothers.

34N 118W

Good job! nice

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    My primary reasons for being there was to have a good time, be a good will ambassador for Singlespeed and hopefully win a medal. I did all three, so the trip was a rousing success.
    nice representin'! Way to go! You rock!

(insurance against future Santa Cruz "run ins"

seriously tho - good job.

HW

mtbr member

easy suuuuuuzy!

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Like what? Get back to work! Or are you maning the f/station phones via the stationary trainer??

Sorry for the thread hijack Brad. Good job represent'n the SS brothers.
    I know, I know, I haven't posted in like a year or more. I just wanted to see if they was another SS fireman. Turns out he's PD. Anyway, when are you going to hit the trails again? I'll be at the races wed night.....

NedwannaB

Yah, yah....

I know, I know, I haven't posted in like a year or more. I just wanted to see if they was another SS fireman. Turns out he's PD. Anyway, when are you going to hit the trails again? I'll be at the races wed night.....
    ....I read aka's post, and I see he has a real job being a cop & not one of yuz guyz! Which means he has less time to train?? As far as riding goes, remember it hasn't been that long since surgery & unlike you youngsters, we take a little more time to heal.... I did get the VooDoo back from the bs today so that's ready to go when I'm able. Still saving the spare change to finish building the SS.

Will see you guys (& gals) up @ the crits on Wed. to spectate & help out with the course. You've been riding some, so you'll kick arSSe, right?

See ya-J