Thinking of Going One Gear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thinking of Going One Gear

For some bizarre reason, I have this itch to build up a single speed. I have no idea why - I've never tried it, and riding a bike with gears is challenge enough for me. Maybe its because I tend to live with sloppy shifting rather than really learn how to adjust a deralieur. Maybe its because I like simple things. Maybe its because it just sounds kinda cool. Maybe its because I can't stop spending money on biking....

Here's the situation: I have a 92 Giant Sedona ATX from back in the day when the Sedona was the base model of their ATX racing series. Fully rigid steel frame. Plenty of room for big meats. Currently, my wife is riding it once or twice a week on the bike path. So, I need to pull the stealthy "double switch" - new bike for the wife, and then start smuggling in parts for the SS build.

Here's my question: As I need to do this with "limited resources" and "minimal exposure," what would I need in order to get a halfway decent single speed? I'm anticipating a chain tensioner, rear cog, some spacers, a new chain and some new brakes and levers (which it needs anyhow). Anything I'm missing?

Thanks for your help.

brother on a mission
    Ready made steel bike mia

Ready made Aluminum bike highlander

If you want to build up your frame, all you need for a single speed is a single cog, some cassette spacers and a chain tensioner (if you do not have horizontal drops).

For the ultimate cheapo build use your derailleur as a tensioner, bust apart two old cassettes and use the spacers an the desired cog, resize your current chain, and you are done. The only investment required are some good tools.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by notrelatedtoted
    For some bizarre reason, I have this itch to build up a single speed. I have no idea why - I've never tried it, and riding a bike with gears is challenge enough for me. Maybe its because I tend to live with sloppy shifting rather than really learn how to adjust a deralieur. Maybe its because I like simple things. Maybe its because it just sounds kinda cool. Maybe its because I can't stop spending money on biking....

Here's the situation: I have a 92 Giant Sedona ATX from back in the day when the Sedona was the base model of their ATX racing series. Fully rigid steel frame. Plenty of room for big meats. Currently, my wife is riding it once or twice a week on the bike path. So, I need to pull the stealthy "double switch" - new bike for the wife, and then start smuggling in parts for the SS build.

Here's my question: As I need to do this with "limited resources" and "minimal exposure," what would I need in order to get a halfway decent single speed? I'm anticipating a chain tensioner, rear cog, some spacers, a new chain and some new brakes and levers (which it needs anyhow). Anything I'm missing?

Thanks for your help.

I have just completed a Kona Smoke conversion to singlespeed.
    I could have kept the original crankset but binned it in favour of a new 36 tooth item.
    I bought a surly singleator and a new chain.
    Total outlay around £50.
    Been out on it today and it rocks.
    Going out with some geared bikes tomorrow evening on a 25 mile off road run, will let you know how things go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by vitsport

I have just completed a Kona Smoke conversion to singlespeed.
    I could have kept the original crankset but binned it in favour of a new 36 tooth item.
    I bought a surly singleator and a new chain.
    Total outlay around £50.
    Been out on it today and it rocks.
    Going out with some geared bikes tomorrow evening on a 25 mile off road run, will let you know how things go.

Oh nearly forgot I also bought a singlespeed conversion from e-bay for pennies.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Don't think... GO!

The FAQ is always a good place to start.

banned
    Apr 2004

Good plan

Quote Originally Posted by notrelatedtoted

Thanks for your help.
    wait until you ride the geared bike after riding the singlespeed for awhile
    I ride my single speed once a week most weeks for almost a year and notice my geared mtb rides are much faster now. (no easier just faster).

almost forgot check out webcyclery.com, they have every thing you need to convert a HT to SS, you can go cheap or deluxe if you want to spend a little more.
    Last edited by Bike Nazi; 07-26-2005 at 04:58 PM. Reason: webcyclery.com

mtbr member

Faq...

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    Don't think... GO!

The FAQ is always a good place to start.
    I noticed that handy feature almost immediately after posting....doh!

Thanks, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    Ready made steel bike mia

Ready made Aluminum bike highlander

If you want to build up your frame, all you need for a single speed is a single cog, some cassette spacers and a chain tensioner (if you do not have horizontal drops).

For the ultimate cheapo build use your derailleur as a tensioner, bust apart two old cassettes and use the spacers an the desired cog, resize your current chain, and you are done. The only investment required are some good tools.

I recently went the "ultimate cheapo" route when I wanted to give SS'ing a try. I had an old HT that I wan't riding and used the old derailleur as a tensioner and used the 17 from the cassette. I didn't have 2 cassettes worth of spacers so I cut a piece of 1.25" pvc instead; if you have never tried this, you can't believe how well it works. This is really a great ( and inexpensive) way to give SS'ing a try. I ended up liking it so much that I ordered a IRO Highlander frame and moved everything over. I will have to do a review on it soon - suffice it to say that I'm very happy with the purchase and the folks at IRO were a joy to do business with.