Thinking about switching to SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New to Forum. Switching to SS. Help.

hi guys. brand new to the forum and to biking and just got my mtb recently. i just purchased a specialized rockhopper here in houston and was thinking about changing my front to a single gear (if that makes any sense at all). houston does not have a lot of climbs and will be using my bike mainly to commute to work which is nothing but flat pavement.

any ideas or thoughts? thanks for all the help guys!
    Last edited by ALFRED; 04-07-2006 at 08:31 AM.

mtbr member
    If you are talking about running a single chainring in the front and a full cassette in the back, that is not an SS. Different type of bike with different issues that may be better addressed to the drivetrain board.

You can also look at the Cyclocross board over on RoadBikeReview. A single front ring with a full cassette in the back is popular among cross racers.

In a nutshell, your challenge is going to be keeping the chain from falling off the front ring with no derailleur to keep it there and the need to cross the chain over to the smallest and largest cogs. An unramped chainring, a chainring guard or "bash guard" to replace the big chainring, and a seat tube mounted chain guide (Deda Dog Fang, N Gear Jump Stop, 3rd Eye Chain Watcher) will help with this.

mtbr member
    Hey, Alfred.

I'm in Austin, where it's a lot hillier, and there are tons of SS riders around here, so Houston would be perfect for singlespeeding! I recommend you stop by West End Cycles and talk to the guys there. They're really knowledgeable, friendly folks who sponsor a big race team and know Houston riding like no one else. Check 'em out!

http://www.westendbikes.com/WE_home.html
    "America is the greatest country in the world, but that's a lot like being the prettiest waitress at Denny's."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Awesome!

Thanks for the replies guys. It's been really helpful. Enjoy riding!

mtbr member
    JUST DO IT!

You can try first to set a gearing at your bike, and do not shift meanwhile you
    are suffering around. Do it several times and experienc around 32:16 rate. (too heavy? do 32:17, 32:18) Then you'll find a good gearratio at your bike.
    I experienced with 32:16 at my geared bike, and found that this worked fine.
    Then I pumped up the tyres (oops!), and found out that this gearing was too low.
    (plus a new chain)
    I traveled 36 kilometers in small hilly area at 2:1 rate with around 11kg load, and wanted
    a little higher gearing, especially at the flatties. I'll try it next time.
    It was really painfully, but not impossible. It have been worser when I had gears!

Members who have read this thread: 0