Thinking about SS- Mtbr.com
    BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Thinking about SS

Well, Im thinking about getting a single speed. I have two worries though. 1. I live in Telluride Co. The trails here are as steep as anywhere often involving 2-3 grand of climbing just to get to the good singletrack. Are single speed geared for such steep climbing or am I going to be pushing the bike up. (Im a pretty solid climber on a Geared bike) 2. I have to spend less then 800 bucks. I dont want a piece of junk. Theres no reason riding a heavy single speed in my opinion. What are you thoughts. Gear Ratio and bike recomindations.
    Thanks
    BSG

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BSG
    Well, Im thinking about getting a single speed. I have two worries though. 1. I live in Telluride Co. The trails here are as steep as anywhere often involving 2-3 grand of climbing just to get to the good singletrack. Are single speed geared for such steep climbing or am I going to be pushing the bike up. (Im a pretty solid climber on a Geared bike) 2. I have to spend less then 800 bucks. I dont want a piece of junk. Theres no reason riding a heavy single speed in my opinion. What are you thoughts. Gear Ratio and bike recomindations.
    Thanks
    BSG
    Two words...Matt Chester.

The guy lives in Colorado, and rides exclusively SS & fixed. You should talk to him, as it may give you some insight.

Happy riding.
    Craig
    I dig steel-framed bikes of all shapes and sizes.

sufferer of a.d.d.
    800 is going to put you in the ballpark (weight wise) of a light ht geared bike. 24ish-26ish pounds. but weeight savings is NOT the sole reason to ss by any means. it is more about getting back to basics, bmx spirit, challenging yourself to do something harder/less orthadox than the geared masses. it is surprisingly liberating. for a taste try putting your geared bike (better if it's a ht) in one gear and forget about shifting all day.

kona unit, bianchi sass, khs (dont remember the name), redline monocog...all these are in the price range.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks
    BSG
    Buy used. There's not much to go wrong on an SS, and lotsa guys buy 'em as garage candy. You should be able to do pretty well buying a used one. A really nice indy fab went for $900 on ebay a couple weeks ago, for example.

While I'd love it if you decided to buy the monocog I have for sale, you probably want something lighter and nicer. Look around, they're out there.

As for gearing, if you're worrired about 2:1 being too tall, start a little lower - maybe 32:17 or 32:18 or something. Freewheels only cost $15, so it's cheap to experiment.

Cheers,

-Andrew

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Post your results

Thanks
    BSG
    I have similar concerns. Please post what you end up doing when the deal is done if you don't mind. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Gear ratios of SS

Don't forget, even though you are riding SS, you CAN change the gearing before you ride. I typically ride 34x16 which I can get up most hills upto 12-13%. However, a race coming up has shorter, steeper hills than that, so I'm changing it to 32x18.

mtbr member
    Some of it might have to do with what your knees can handle.I started out with a 32X17 but my knees were always aching.I thought I could build up to it.Wrong format.I switched over to 32 X 20 and now my knees are the best they've been in a couple of years.I'd start out easy and work your way down to a 18 17 or even 16 freewheel.I'm thinking of moving down a gear now.The biggest problem for me now, is putting the ss in the truck and walking by that very expensive gearie.I am happy to have them both though.The ss will make you a stronger rider and a better eye for which line to take.I've only been at it for 6 months,but I'm lovin it.

KRN
    mtbr member

for $419.00

For $419.00 you can get a Redline mono-cog steel not sure about the alloy one & for that price it's a complete bike with a rigid fork if your budget is $800.00 you could do ALOT with that on a Redline it runs a 33 Upfront or a 31 I cant be sure & 18 in back THAT I'm sure of! Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltbee
    I have similar concerns. Please post what you end up doing when the deal is done if you don't mind. Thanks.
    Add me to the list!

I already have a single speed (Redline Monocg) and love it. I don't miss suspension, I don't miss gears, and look forward to riding SS exlusively this year.

It's weird, because I just sold my hard tail for $800, and that's my budget too. I am looking at the Kona Unit(probably won't), Bianchi SASS (major contender) and the Cannondale 1FG with the rigid fork.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

Telluride is tuff on SS

but is doable.
    32/20
    I would convert a hardtail I had.
    or buy a decent used hardtail and convert it.
    I agree about the heavy SS comment.
    If you can SS in Telluride everywhere else will be easy.
    I've been inside too long.