Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nenbran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    673

    Thinking about a sex change...

    ...and becoming a man.

    I'm pretty sure my dad is going to be giving me his old steel frame, rigid bike. It's a mid-90's Diamondback Ascent. SXT spec, 21 speed. I'll be using it as a commuter, but I thought of killing 2 birds with one stone and converting it to singlespeed so I can give it a shot. So I've gots a few questions.

    Numero uno: is a singlespeed commuter a stupid idea? I plan on using the bike to go all over town so I can minimize how much time I spend in the car.

    Numero dos: what ratios are good for road and mountain? I have some general ideas, but I'd like some solid input. I'm planning on carrying 1, if not 2 extra cogs in back to double as spacers on the conversion kit. The trails I ride are pretty hilly...lots of sustained climbs and descents.

    Numero tres: will putting a chain tensioner on there (probably a Surly, but I'm open to recommendations) make the bike a target in any way? The bike itself is pretty beat up...but I'd hate for somebody who knows something about bikes to see a tensioner and steal it.

    Numero cuatro: will starting singlespeed make me neglect my full squish? I really don't want a ~$2400 bike to never get used because I got an old singlespeed for however much it'll cost to convert. I guess what I mean is this: is it hard to balance time between geared bikes and singlespeed bikes? Ideally, I'd just like for the SS to boost my strength and I'd like to find out if I really like SS. If I do, maybe I'll get a blinglespeed later. But I can't let my FS go unused. I just don't want to have to worry about hating geared FS after riding rigid SS.

    Anyway, I think that's all I have to ask for now. I'm going for a ride. Any input is welcome.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    99
    1. Lots of people commute with a ss. It works great.

    2. Ratios for commuting and trail riding will be different, you'll have to find what works for you by trial and error

    3. Nobody likes chain tensioners, i doubt it will get stolen. but get a cheap on just in case. they're all simple designs, so it should not matter which one you get as far as peformance goes.

    4. I got a SS right after I got a brand new FS. I rode both for about 3 months, then sold the FS at a large loss, to buy a new fork for the SS.

    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    balance_fit
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    323
    Congratulations. Your choice will enhance your riding no doubt. I have my ss for mostly off road use. Sometimes, I do visit the concrete trail. My ratio for off road is 33x19 and for road is 33x13. Try and test !
    Using a tensioner, unless you hit an appropiate chain tension, may be a necessity.
    Regarding the FS, I got rid of mine over a year ago. Haven't missed it. You might feel otherwise, just hold on to the FS until you click on ss fitness.
    Enjoy!
    Simple, not easy.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nenbran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    673
    Thanks for the info! I think a tensioner will be necessity because the bike has a vertical drop out...please tell me otherwise if I am wrong here. I do understand that ratios will be different for paved and trail usage. I appreciate the ballpark ratios you gave me, balance. I'll start somewhere near there.

    I'm hoping I won't want to get rid of the FS...I just got it 6 months ago and I'll feel really stupid if I let it go at a loss already. Plus, I really love the thing. I think I can balance my time between the two bikes.

  5. #5
    The need for singlespeed
    Reputation: zaskaranddriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    973
    I wouldn't worry about the FS, but you may find its gears look better on eBay.

  6. #6
    balance_fit
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran View Post
    Thanks for the info! I think a tensioner will be necessity because the bike has a vertical drop out...please tell me otherwise if I am wrong here. I do understand that ratios will be different for paved and trail usage. I appreciate the ballpark ratios you gave me, balance. I'll start somewhere near there.

    I'm hoping I won't want to get rid of the FS...I just got it 6 months ago and I'll feel really stupid if I let it go at a loss already. Plus, I really love the thing. I think I can balance my time between the two bikes.
    You're very right. Unless you hit a magic gear ratio, or use half links (many good threads on that in this forum), the tensioner is needed.
    Maybe you still have the gears on the bike: go to the trail and, using the middle chainring, explore with relationship allows you to ride most uphills and not spin out on the flats. Do the same on the roads, still using the middle chainring. There you will have the 2 ratios for the freewheel. Converting the crankset to single ring is easier.
    Regarding the FS, let us know after 3 months...
    Simple, not easy.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nenbran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by balance_fit View Post
    You're very right. Unless you hit a magic gear ratio, or use half links (many good threads on that in this forum), the tensioner is needed.
    Maybe you still have the gears on the bike: go to the trail and, using the middle chainring, explore with relationship allows you to ride most uphills and not spin out on the flats. Do the same on the roads, still using the middle chainring. There you will have the 2 ratios for the freewheel. Converting the crankset to single ring is easier.
    Regarding the FS, let us know after 3 months...
    Yeah, I was thinking about doing that before the conversion. I think the second ring is a 32 tooth...but who knows, given how old the bike is. I guess my main concern with the FS is that if I sell it so soon, my parents will kill me. I bought the bike with my own hard earned money, but they're trying to instill this whole "financial responsibility" thing in me and would probably not take too well to me getting in the habit of buying expensive bikes only to sell them at a depreciated value a few months later.

    Like you said, we'll see how I feel after 3 months. I hope I love SS and geared FS equally. Don't know if that happens, but maybe I can be an exception to the rule.

  8. #8
    balance_fit
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran View Post
    I guess my main concern with the FS is that if I sell it so soon, my parents will kill me. I bought the bike with my own hard earned money, but they're trying to instill this whole "financial responsibility" thing in me and would probably not take too well to me getting in the habit of buying expensive bikes only to sell them at a depreciated value a few months later.
    I understand your issue with the FS from the financial point of view. Bicycles are toys, unless one is a gifted competitor with lots of sponsors.

    The SS will serve you well as a commuter and training bike, no doubt. As time goes, you will, as a cyclist, inevitably lean towards SS or FS or may even enjoy both for their very unique approaches to two wheeled bliss.

    If you take great care of your FS and eventually decide to sell it, to go pure SS, it's resale value may not be that low and the earnings will set you in a favorable position to acquire a good SS, which for the most case, are less expensive than FS.

    Your parents will understand your development as cyclist since you've worked to raise money for your sport. Trust me, they will prefer to see the FS in use or sold rather than collecting dust in a corner. (In the case you go pure SS)

    Whatever your decision is, enjoy the outcome !
    Simple, not easy.

  9. #9
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,268
    There's special tensioners you can use to convert a FS geared to SS, and have the best of both worlds! If the testosterone injections work that is.
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nenbran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by balance_fit View Post
    I understand your issue with the FS from the financial point of view. Bicycles are toys, unless one is a gifted competitor with lots of sponsors.

    The SS will serve you well as a commuter and training bike, no doubt. As time goes, you will, as a cyclist, inevitably lean towards SS or FS or may even enjoy both for their very unique approaches to two wheeled bliss.

    If you take great care of your FS and eventually decide to sell it, to go pure SS, it's resale value may not be that low and the earnings will set you in a favorable position to acquire a good SS, which for the most case, are less expensive than FS.

    Your parents will understand your development as cyclist since you've worked to raise money for your sport. Trust me, they will prefer to see the FS in use or sold rather than collecting dust in a corner. (In the case you go pure SS)

    Whatever your decision is, enjoy the outcome !
    That's a positive outlook. Thanks. I'll just go with the flow and let what will happen, happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    There's special tensioners you can use to convert a FS geared to SS, and have the best of both worlds! If the testosterone injections work that is.
    That is an option to consider for sure. But like I said, I'll just kinda go with the flow on this. Maybe I'll do as you suggest or maybe I'll do something totally different. Who knows? That's kind of making this exciting for me, actually.

    And let me tell you...my voice is already getting deeper just thinking about all this.

  11. #11
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    i smell a dingle in your future.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nenbran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    i smell a dingle in your future.


    For realz though...thanks. I had not heard of this product before. It seems like exactly what I need.

  13. #13
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    i would rather have a dedicated gear for offroad and another for road than have a half ass compromise for both.
    Peace and grease!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nenbran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    i would rather have a dedicated gear for offroad and another for road than have a half ass compromise for both.
    Peace and grease!
    That's what I was planning on. I was gonna just have a couple cogs laying around. Didn't know about the dingle though. Thanks man.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brauluver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24
    Dingle it up, that's the most sensible.

  16. #16
    balance_fit
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    There's special tensioners you can use to convert a FS geared to SS, and have the best of both worlds! If the testosterone injections work that is.
    That's an option, if you have lockable shock and fork. If not, the climbing could be hampered by energy sapping bobbing....
    Simple, not easy.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    603
    Get a cheap Fixie for the road. Great training for the trails, you can't stop pedaling, so it makes that boring Road ride much quicker.
    anything Steel

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nenbran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel29er View Post
    Get a cheap Fixie for the road. Great training for the trails, you can't stop pedaling, so it makes that boring Road ride much quicker.
    I happen to own a nice road bike and I also happen to find riding on the road far from "boring."

    I'm not here asking about a new bike. I'm getting a bike for free and want to convert to SS. Just looking for advice.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran View Post
    I happen to own a nice road bike and I also happen to find riding on the road far from "boring."

    I'm not here asking about a new bike. I'm getting a bike for free and want to convert to SS. Just looking for advice.
    Oh, sorry I thought this was about a commuters sex change bike.
    anything Steel

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nenbran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel29er View Post
    Oh, sorry I thought this was about a commuters sex change bike.
    No no. It's an old steel rigid mtb.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 08:45 AM
  2. Thinking about a date change for the Fears Tears and Beers.
    By KRob in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 04:22 PM
  3. Thinking of making a change and need help
    By puckdaddy in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 05:06 AM
  4. Thinking of a Change
    By Magsrgod in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 08:30 AM
  5. thinking about a change
    By bugly64 in forum Commuting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 07:21 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.