mtbr member

Think I'm gonna do the Single Speed A Palooza...

Saw it posted on BikeReg for April 17. Never did a race of that length before but now I have something to motivate me to train for.
    How's the course? I did a race there back in 98 and all I remember is getting poison ivy.

Gigantic Hawk
    I raced it last year, and will be there this year. It is an awesome race put on by some great people. Well worth it. The Dark Horse 40 is on July 31, and if you enjoy the SS-A-P, I suggest you try it as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this. Does the registration fill up quickly?
    -A race in July in NY sounds...sweaty.
    Did you race this last summer?
    Thanks

Gigantic Hawk
    Last year's SS-A-P was held in March. It poured too. It ended up being 25 miles of pure hellish mud. It was also a blast, and that is why I'm going back. This year's race is in April, and hopefully the weather will be better. The course is fast and flowy if the weather is nice.

I did the Dark Horse 40 last year too. It's put on by the same people at the same place. Last year's weather was perfect, and I managed to complete 40 miles in just under 4h20m on my Peace 9'r.

Registration fills up quick for both races.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks, going to register for SSAP

mtbr member
    Just signed up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang
    Last year's SS-A-P was held in March. It poured too. It ended up being 25 miles of pure hellish mud. It was also a blast, and that is why I'm going back. This year's race is in April, and hopefully the weather will be better. The course is fast and flowy if the weather is nice.

I did the Dark Horse 40 last year too. It's put on by the same people at the same place. Last year's weather was perfect, and I managed to complete 40 miles in just under 4h20m on my Peace 9'r.

Registration fills up quick for both races.
    What gears did you run? I'm thinking my usual Adirondack 32/20 would be a bit spinny for 25 fast and flowy miles.

Gigantic Hawk
    I ran 32/18 last year for both races. This year may be a Rotor ring with a 19 out back, but not sure. The 32/18 ratio is pretty solid. The guys in the front (pro/expert) will be pushing some big gears, but for middle of the packs types, go with what you know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    A friend of mine did it last year..He had an awesome time. He asked me to come out to NY and do the race, but it didn't work out...I made it a point to go this year, already registered.

Gigantic Hawk
    I have a 5 hour drive to get there from Maine. Believe me, it's worth it.

Members who have read this thread: 0